Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 03:16 PM
Kobold

Default Monk mitigation

I only just found project 1999 a week ago, and it has all of my friends excited. I want to duo with my brother (also an oldschool fanatic) and I'm thinking monk/shaman. I know that during vanilla EQ, the combo worked well because monks had and unusually nice mitigation/dps ratio. But the mitigation part was nerfed hard in PoP.

My question: Do monks have pre or post PoP mitigation levels? Would I end up needing to go SK/Shaman instead?
Old 01-22-2010, 03:26 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Take a look at this thread; it may answer a few of your questions about the current status of monks. I don't play one, so I can't offer any other insight.

http://www.project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?t=1868
Old 01-22-2010, 03:26 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayleo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I only just found project 1999 a week ago, and it has all of my friends excited. I want to duo with my brother (also an oldschool fanatic) and I'm thinking monk/shaman. I know that during vanilla EQ, the combo worked well because monks had and unusually nice mitigation/dps ratio. But the mitigation part was nerfed hard in PoP.

My question: Do monks have pre or post PoP mitigation levels? Would I end up needing to go SK/Shaman instead?
My suggestion is don't worry about min/maxing. I dont know the exact answer to your question (post or pre pop, though I would be willing to bet 99% its pre) but this is all about having fun on this server. I can tell you right now a level 50 monk dishes out some SERIOUS dps. and also if you are new monk is always a good choice because they dont need weapons or armor to get their benefits.

EDIT: Also important to note, sk is -40% xp penalty here while shaman is not. This could pose a problem around 25-30 when whoever is playing the shaman will be significantly higher level then the sk. not ideal for a duo.
Old 01-22-2010, 03:38 PM
Kobold

Yeah that was exactly what got me off the SK train. I remember them being insanely awesome in POP era, but we're not likely to get that far on the server (for better or worse). I just wantz teh FD. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 01-22-2010, 03:41 PM
Developer

I am working on the mitigation levels. Currently they are not pre or post, they are something else. My objective is to get them closer to the pre-nerf values. I have made some progress, but I have a few more things to figure out so that I get the soft caps behaving correctly for all the classes.

Haynar
Old 01-22-2010, 03:50 PM
Kobold

That's actually pretty comforting. At least its a point of interest. Monks were never meant to be raid tanks (obviously), but it was nice to take on that role in a pinch while grouped (with massive slows of course).
Old 01-22-2010, 04:19 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haynar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I am working on the mitigation levels. Currently they are not pre or post, they are something else. My objective is to get them closer to the pre-nerf values. I have made some progress, but I have a few more things to figure out so that I get the soft caps behaving correctly for all the classes.

Haynar
This is the kind of feedback we all like.
Thanks.
Old 01-22-2010, 05:47 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haynar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Haynar
I now have hope to play here again. TY

Mugatoo <Center For Ants>
45 Iksar Monk

"You can all go to hell, I'm going to Texas."
Old 01-22-2010, 07:55 PM
Aviak

Monk dmg is definitely brutal right now. Just seems like my AC isn't calculated right.

Appreciate hearing a dev is looking at it. Been brutal trying to level.
Closed Thread