Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 01-27-2016, 08:55 PM
Orc

Default HP Envy(17in) vs Asus Q552(15in)

I am at best buy right now! Which should I get? Oh God the sharks are circling....
Old 01-27-2016, 09:04 PM
Fire Giant

HP makes great switches and horrible servers. Based on my experiences and seeing favorable reviews for the Asus, I would go with the Q552. It's your fault for making the decision on the fly, if you don't like the one you get [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 01-27-2016, 09:11 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Issar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
HP makes great switches and horrible servers. Based on my experiences and seeing favorable reviews for the Asus, I would go with the Q552. It's your fault for making the decision on the fly, if you don't like the one you get [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I was a consultant for 10 years, and I've been running an IT department for a company for the last 2.

I've sold IBM and HP servers from IBM's old X series, and HP's DL and ML lines, up and down the lineup. In addition to selling them, I also installed them and maintained them from project design through end-of-life.

With that experience, I've had a LOT more issues with the IBM boxes, and in particular the IBM raid controllers in the X2xx line,than I've seen with HP boxes.

HP's servers are great. I am still using some old HP DL 360's as backup-backup targets after I migrated my current environment to Cisco UCS.

And prior to HP buying 3com, their switches were nothing. Hence them buying 3com.

That said: don't EVER BUY AN HP LAPTOP. Get the Asus.
Old 01-27-2016, 09:23 PM
Orc

Ok thanks for the replies. Does it matter if the asus is a 2 in 1?
Old 01-27-2016, 09:25 PM
Sarnak

I believe I heard of some people having issues with Microsoft Surface tablets...but I can't say for sure.

Just make sure that before you buy it, you google the part number and have Best Buy price-match it at the register.

Otherwise, wait a few days and buy it online.
Old 01-27-2016, 09:54 PM
Fire Giant

don't buy a computer at best buy, figure out what you want and get it from amazon or newegg. you'll get a better machine at a lower price, and you won't have to deal with best buy employees.
Old 01-27-2016, 09:56 PM
Planar Protector

Asus if I had to choose. HP is terrible.
Old 01-27-2016, 09:59 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Issar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It's your fault for making the decision on the fly, if you don't like the one you get [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I went into BB earlier today just browsing and the HP caught my eye so I spent a few hours reading reviews and such and just when I was ready to pull out my CC the sales guy recommended the Asus. I thought he might be sharkin me but based on the responses I guess not.
So I got the Asus. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] Of course they were sold out in store. Sigh! At this rate I feel like I'm never gonna be playing p99.

Thanks for all the quick responses guys. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 01-27-2016, 10:04 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyclin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
don't buy a computer at best buy, figure out what you want and get it from amazon or newegg. you'll get a better machine at a lower price, and you won't have to deal with best buy employees.
Honestly, it was the last thing I wanted to do but I was sick of waiting and going in circles online.
I just wanted to grab a machine so I could get in the game by this weekend. (Terrible turn of events tho)

The addiction is real and I haven't even played in 13 years. LOL
Old 01-27-2016, 10:42 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevris [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
That said: don't EVER BUY AN HP LAPTOP. Get the Asus.
Having had an HP laptop (I didn't buy it), I can agree with that. I'd go with Asus or Toshiba. My current is a Toshiba, really like it. My bottom of the list is Lenovo. Personal grudge, I don't like spyware from China. My desktop is an Asus, nice system.

Oh as for two in one, yes likely my next one will be one of those, likely after the release of the new memory arc later this year. I have a laptop and a tablet (Nexus 7), much pref combining the two.
Last edited by Daywolf; 01-27-2016 at 10:48 PM..