Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Red Community > Red Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 02-05-2016, 03:37 PM
Sarnak

Default Server Won't Change By Itself

"You guys might not realize this, but R99 has pretty much always been a 2 team server. Team_Zerg vs Team_OtherGuys. Just plug n play guild names as needed." - Sirken, 2015

This is a message to the administration as much as the general player base. This server's community and endgame will not change by itself. It never has.

Consider the Red players, all of whom want good boss loot. The quickest way to get that loot is to form the smallest possible group that can kill the boss, kill any other teams trying to get it, then take the loot. Let's call that the best case scenario. However, you need the best team.

The slowest way to get that loot is never. If you don't have the best team, or even a good one, you'll never get boss loot. Let's call that the worst case scenario.

Here's option three: form a larger group, much larger than you actually need to complete the content. Gather up all of the worst players you can find, people for whom the worst case scenario is the only option. Then zerg the place, and distribute the loot as best you can. Over time, everyone will have at least some loot. Let's call that the PvE scenario: the boring one.

Option three has been the dominant option for years. Players who are bad at PvP control the loot because, knowing they suck at PvP, they group up to cover for their bad play. Furthermore, the server's PvE rules and PnP protect the zerg.
  • Can't train them
  • Can't loot them
  • Can't violate FTE
  • Can't AoE them due to resists
  • Can't bind camp them
  • Can't cause EXP death or otherwise knock their levels down
  • Can't heal, dispell, or otherwise assist the boss
  • Cant even stop them from plugging or calling LnS
Server isn't going to change on its own. The zerg will always return because most people on Red aren't actually good at PvP. It's only ever a matter of time before they group up and zerg for the safety and security that brings.

This is why we need item loot back and no more server rules or /petition.
Old 02-05-2016, 03:38 PM
Banned

Holly Longdale.
Old 02-05-2016, 03:41 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

server is dead just move on
Old 02-05-2016, 03:44 PM
Sarnak

I'm better than everyone else at pvp so i need GM intervention to regain controll of the pvp box.

Smedy has a place for you in <denial>.
Old 02-05-2016, 03:45 PM
Planar Protector

Yeah, its pretty hard tryin to change things lol we've seen a couple of remarkable efforts take place over the years and they never seem to work out. At best, we get a surge for a few months and then it dies out. There are a lot of contributing factors but I think its also just the nature of EQ.

I was kicking around a idea for a weekly guild-neutral pvpish event that could also serve as a prime time for new players to join and exp but that wont be for another couple of months if the server is even still goin by then.

I agree though, it's up to the community. With a little effort and cooperation we could take one day a week to have fun and develop advertising videos to draw more players in. I'd say our biggest obstacle for new recruits is telling them the truth about what to expect. We need to start lying to them to at least get them invested to the point where they don't feel good about leaving.
Old 02-05-2016, 03:51 PM
Kobold

Nor will it..
Find a few pals you like playing with.. Do what you can with what ya got.
If ya like to play for pixels join the zerg and get in line, if you like to play for fun join the other guilds.
Old 02-05-2016, 03:57 PM
Fire Giant

Im in 99% no drop gear. I vote for classic style item loot
Old 02-05-2016, 03:58 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowride [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Nor will it..
Find a few pals you like playing with.. Do what you can with what ya got.
If ya like to play for pixels join the zerg and get in line, if you like to play for fun join the other guilds.
i play in the zerg and have a gr8 day everytime i log into teamspeak or game
Old 02-05-2016, 04:00 PM
Banned

Rogean Technologies
Old 02-05-2016, 04:01 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by fan D [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
i play in the zerg and have a gr8 day everytime i log into teamspeak or game
Happy for ya pal..

I ain't mad at ya for playing the game the way you wanna play it..

I mean it does have effects on the server but I am still having a good time. I attempt to pvp the zerg and enjoy it.
Closed Thread