Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 02-08-2016, 07:10 PM
Kobold

Default Will 1999 ever happen again?

With even WoW making the news for losing subs hand over fist, does anybody else think a tougher MMO could be on the horizon?

Even though "sandbox" has become the latest trend I wonder if we're not too far away from a more challenging PVE MMO. P99's population has been gradually ticking upward since I started playing in 2013...I don't know about other people but I keep coming back for the challenge and rewarding nature of the game.
Old 02-08-2016, 07:21 PM
Planar Protector

yea game is so hard im literally BiS every piece
Old 02-08-2016, 07:23 PM
Banned

I think the next mmo will be something like star citizen, once vr is more 'normal'..

When I tried to play wow, after being addicted to EQ.. I had this feeling that the normal person/gamer has room in their life to play just ONE mmo.. once you played your first and last mmo it's very hard or impossible to get into another one or at least convince you to waste that much time again I should say.

Like for example, if you date a crazy stripper. Once you finally get her out of your life, it's doubtful you will date another crazy stripper again.

buuut.. I've learned given enough time... you might be like, hey... this crazy stripper ain't so bad, compared to the others I guess.

So maybe there is room life for 2-3 MMO's

I think next big MMO will be more like DayZ.. more simulation/fps/VR/modern or sci fi..

or at the very last a combination of an MMO/Moba.. hang out with pals, in a virtual world or fight in matches, do what you feel!

but who knows! I dont know.. thats just a hunch.
Old 02-08-2016, 07:43 PM
Planar Protector

Always a good post topic, imo.

My take is, the first years of MMO's were a once in a lifetime thing. It was new, there was little competition, the internet itself was still new, computer games were more complicated than consoles, people still used computers (most my friends rarely use a computer: they use their pads or phones for most of their online living) as their only online source, and people's attention spans were not divided into a thousand things.

What you are asking, I think, will there ever be a game that requires time, hours at a spell, playing a challenging game with others, and not just for a few weeks before a new game catches your attention, but for months and in fact a year+?

No, that will not happen. Too much has changed with the internet, people, the ways people use the games and devices, etc.

I would argue that is why p99 works. Let's face it, it is a one-off server, and it attracted everyone missing the way we used to do stuff with these things.

I see absolutely no chance of any subscription based, persistence RPG online world in the future. No one is gonna pay, not enough to make any company want to actually invest the kind of capital required. That is why all "persistent" worlds are riddled with PTP loopholes.

It takes tremendous talent and work and money to create a balanced persistent online world that is also policed for hacking. Where is the market? E-gaming deals with session games, where you play these little matches. But a persistent, more-or-less non-linear and open gameworld like eq or even eq2?

No market that will ever command the necessary talent/time/money required to build it.

TL;DR We are stuck with one-offs forever now. Brad McQuaid can enjoy seeing his dream fail, for, it will.
Old 02-08-2016, 08:03 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by fan D [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
yea game is so hard im literally BiS every piece
red don't count b that's a dead box
Blueberrii - 60 Mage
Gigglepurr - 60 Shaman
Kids - 60 Rogue
Fornfamnad - 60 Cleric
Old 02-08-2016, 08:38 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morningbreath [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Even though "sandbox" has become the latest trend I wonder if we're not too far away from a more challenging PVE MMO.
Nope, I lost all hope years ago. Last mmo I gave a try was GW2, which started out well but took a nose dive months after. As long as it's all instanced f2p, there will never be another really good mmo.

Nothing wrong with the sandbox, other than it's hard to develop. UO was a sandbox, I started in 97 with that. Most of the games I play today are still sandbox.
Old 02-08-2016, 08:54 PM
Sarnak

Guildwars 2 is the direction that mmo's are going.
Old 02-08-2016, 09:03 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasslehofp99 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
red don't count b that's a dead box
Long line of neckbeards=harder or something? lol...
Old 02-08-2016, 09:22 PM
Fire Giant

The next MMO that will really hook people will be something that uses VR. Till we finally get full body immersion capsules that let you feel some of your characters sensations.
Old 02-08-2016, 09:25 PM
Planar Protector

No it will never be 1999 again.