Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 04-25-2016, 04:06 AM
Decaying Skeleton

Smile Decided to roll a Druid after over a decade away from EQ

I stopped playing live around LDoN time. Primarily played my Human Monk to 70 or whatever the cap was then... it's sort of a blur.

Anyways, I found out about P99 a little over a year ago and finally got around to rolling a toon this past week.... What a trip down memory lane! Donating is the least I can do. I can only imagine how much hard work has been poured into making this possible!

Alas, here I am, a newbie once again. Started a Halfing Druid on Blue called Littlefeets, and just hit level 7. I'm amazed with how many generous players I've already encountered. I've read the Druid guides on the P99 wiki (and posts on this form), but have a few general questions:
  1. What slots/stats should I prioritize? I'm thinking +mana or Wis and find a decent weapon first.
  2. What are some of the better camps to farm plat for some early items? I don't mind sacrificing some xp or going for some less active camps.
  3. What are some affordable items for a Druid that will at least give me some AC and maybe a bit of useful stats?
  4. And lastly, what are some good newbie friendly guilds on Blue?

Pleas forgive me if these questions have already been asked and answered many times. A link to an older post is of course sufficient if need be.

Any help/advice is greatly appreciated! Feel free to message me here or in game (Littlefeets)
Old 04-25-2016, 05:23 AM
Fire Giant

Druid is a good choice for first char. Although having more mana is always nice, it's not really that important. If you can kill the mob with the mana you have, that's enough. The limiting factor usually is mana regeneration and you wont update this with gear for a very very long time, if ever.

That said, i would still get wisdom and mana gear (to have a little more reserves) and some HP gear.

to get starter money, collect bone chips, HQ bear skins and lightstones. You can get xp and nice money from lightstones and greater lightstones at the gypsy camp in north karana. You can start farming them at about level 10 (if you have a magical weapon) or a bit higher if you dont.
Old 04-25-2016, 05:41 AM
Aviak

Erud's Crossing is an island with like 8-10 wisps roaming all over. You can get there from Qeynos by boat. I spent levels 12 to 15 there and farmed 100+ Lightstones and Greater Lightstones. Perhaps close to 150 even. In result I went to NK and turned them in (Concordance of Research quest), which pushed me from lvl 15 straight to lvl 19!

I play an enchanter though and just killed them with dots+pet, which was very easy. Might be bit harder for druid though. You can also find a lot of wisps in NK but this zone is tough due to all those roaming griffons and what not.
Old 04-25-2016, 08:10 AM
Planar Protector

Definitely work on your mana pool, druids particularly are hampered in the early game by a small mana pool (versus int casters) ^^
Old 04-25-2016, 09:15 AM
Kobold

Druid is a great choice for a first toon. Versatile, not too gear dependent and ports for plat.

I'd say mana items at lower levels, wisdom as you get higher (starting around level 30ish)

Qeynos doing BB gnoll fang quest will get you to 10-12 range in no time at all. From there you can head to lesser fay and do bandit sisters camp which drops bronze weapons that sell for some nice plat to about 18-20ish. Lull for single pulls, the root/dot/med. It's lazy but works.

Alternately you could also do Kurns Tower in Kunark if you can get over there. Bone chips galore and you can get 10pp a stack for them usually. Can stay there to 20ish.
Old 04-25-2016, 11:19 AM
Aviak

As far as newbie-friendly guilds, I just joined Kittens Who Say Meow, though I saw one other US guild which accepts newbies... Vindication I think? Both looked good, but KWSM seemed more casual, which is more in line with my play style, haha.

EDIT: Oh! Also, the wiki has a LOT of great information. There are multiple guides for most classes which at least discuss most of your questions and are a great starting point (I think), though I'm still new, so I don't have much to judge them by, haha.
Old 04-25-2016, 04:51 PM
Sarnak

1- Until you start getting some good return on wisdom in terms of mana conversion, focus on +mana item.
2- Great guide here: http://wiki.project1999.com/Ultimate...ng_Money_Guide
3- Go here: http://wiki.project1999.com/Category[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]ruid_Equipment, pick any location you are interested in, sort by descending mana or wisdom and click tradeable items until you find something in your budget.
4- Plenty, best thing is to mingle with the population and see which people to go along best with.

You are welcome.

Nagash
http://25.media.tumblr.com/ab9521a00...4dqyo1_250.gif
Old 04-25-2016, 05:51 PM
Planar Protector

I'd stay start building your WIS as soon as you can. More mana means better quadding prospects which is a big part of how a druid solos.
Old 04-26-2016, 12:57 AM
Aviak

All great advice. Welcome to the server!
Old 04-26-2016, 02:50 AM
Decaying Skeleton

Thanks all!
Closed Thread