Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 06-18-2016, 11:39 AM
Planar Protector

Default The Sneaksy Gnome (Adventure!)

I keep hearing people say being a rogue is a hard life....that they can't solo....and that you gotta twink them.

My theory is these people didn't pick the right race! Obviously a gnome is the only one clever enough to survive as a non-twink rogue!!

And so....it is my goal to prove that a rogue can rogue without a fancy group or without batman like wealth!

((Rules are no twinking or powerleveling! Small gifts and passerby buffs are ok though. Also, mostly I'll probably solo....I like to solo since I tend to AFK a lot while workins))

The Beginnening

There once was a gnome that had lived in the safety of Ak'anon her entire life....but she always dreamed of adventure outside of the city! She didn't know magic...and she wasn't enough that tough....so people said it was impossible, that she was too weak, with only 65 strength there was no hope!

So she never tried to leave....listening to the other gnomes and only played in the city, eventually gaining the nickname "Sneaksy" for her habit of eavesdropping on adventurers that would come into the city.

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

That was, until one day an erudite merchant came into town selling magic items!

One of the items was a crystal he said could turn anyone into a great adventurer, even a little gnome! But it was expensive.... costing 1,000,000 platinum!

Though Sneaksy didn't have even 1 platinum....she had to have it!

She knew not many gnomes were so rich, but there was one gnome with plenty of money, a weird old gnome named Welno Tanboots. She had found his treasure room one day while exploring, and even knew where the key was!

So, she decided to borrow the money. Obviously once she used the crystal she would be a great adventurer and plenty rich to pay him back. It was a foolproof plan!

The next day the erudite left the city....1 million platinum richer....and Sneaksy had her crystal!

For the following week she slept with it under her pillow as instructed...but she didn't feel any different....

That night, she went to her crystal hiding spot to get it again for her pillow when she discovered it was gone!!! And in its place was a note....

Welno was onto her!! He had found out his money was missing before she became a great adventurer!!

Day 1

I was pretty nervous going to see Welno! I wondered what he would have me do.....maybe even...make me clean floors?! Whatever it was I was sure it was going to be boring!

"You owe me quite a lot of money Sneaksy....not many people can steal from the leader of the gnome rogues!

You have some natural talent... so, from now on I'll help you refine your skills....and you will work for us."

And with that...I was recruited!!! He then gave me a tunic for protection and send me out into the Steamfont mountains to practice gnoming. It was time for adventure!

I hadn't been out to the Steamfont mountains much. But I was pretty sure the kobolds had all the treasure. So I figured they would be the best things to fight.

The first kobold I fought wasn't so hard. It looked like this would be easier then I thought.

So next up, I tried to fight a gnome skeleton! I figured it would go pretty well, after-all, I'm part skeleton too!

But as I tried to fight one.....suddenly I was ambushed by 3 others!!!!

I ran as fast as I could back towards Ak'anon.....but as I got close....one of the skeletons knocked me unconscious!

It was only for a moment though, and I quickly regained consciousness....I knew if I didn't move fast, another hit and I would be done for!

"Save me save me save me!" I yelled as I ran down the path.

Luckily one of the watchmen was nearby! And he came running to fight off the skeletons.

"Sneaksy....what are you doing out here? Go back inside..."

"What are you talking about?! Didn't you hear? I'm an adventurer now! And for the record, I was just about to beat those skeletons up! I was lulling them into a false sense of security!".

"....."

I couldn't let Watchman Dreeb keep showing me up.... I had to get stronger....this shirt just wasn't enough to keep me safe from skeletons!

So I decided to leave the mountains and travel to the wood elf city of Kelethin to search for better armor. I had heard there were a lot of tailors in the city, maybe one could make me some armor? I didn't have much money, but maybe I could "borrow" some from the elves!

Getting to the city wasn't so hard. When I got there I helped the guards fight off some bats and bigger skeletons and some wolves. I was getting pretty good at this adventuring thing -flex-

I also figured I would need lots of wolf pets to get some good armor made. So I tried to focus on them.....and after getting a few I went up into the city and talked to some tailors. They were all pretty busy with their own things....but they had plenty of patterns. Maybe I could make my own armor?

The problem was I was pretty poor....

But I had enough money to at least buy a sewing kit and try to make one or two things. I also noticed the merchants had lots of extra wolf skins for sale! I could have saved myself so much trouble!!

After a few tries I managed to make myself a piece of armor. The merchant seemed pretty impressed with my sewing too! He offered me over a gold for it!!!

Hummm, I needed armor....but also needed money.....

Then it struck me! I could make armor for all of the elves!! If I bought cheap wolf skins and patterns and sewed them together....I could still make a profit selling it to the merchant!!

So I got to work! And after a while I had done it! I had earned enough money to make myself a fancy set of patchwork armor!!!

Problem was I had used up most of my money again to make it all.

So, I started to sit around thinking of what to do, next. I guess I needed a better weapon. I had seen some tailor patterns for whips, but they were so expensive...and needed to know how to brew too..... I definitely didn't have enough money for all of that....

That's when I met another skeleton just sitting in the city! This one seemed a lot nicer than the ones in the steamfont mountains at least....

He also seemed to have pretty fancy things for a skeleton!! I bet he had money too! I knew just what to do!!!

"Hay...skeleton. I bet you want to buy some bone-chips don't you? I know skeletons like bones. I got 20 of them!"

"Wow, bone chips? Yes! I will buy them!!" The skeleton seemed pretty excited!

And with that, I traded my bone chips to the skeleton and suddenly had 20pp!!!! I was rich!!!! With this much money maybe I could learn brewing after all! And make myself a whip!
Old 06-18-2016, 11:43 AM
Planar Protector

Thumbs up

Actually an enjoyable little story. I'd like to read more of Sneaksy the gnome rogue. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
"What are you talking about?! Didn't you hear? I'm an adventurer now!
Told this to Rogean, Nilbog & Menden.
Last edited by Baler; 06-18-2016 at 11:48 AM..
Old 06-18-2016, 11:56 AM
Fire Giant

I'm looking forward to hearing about your trip out West!
Old 06-18-2016, 11:57 AM
Planar Protector

Ivory, for all this talk of needing twinking, how fungi monks are the best melee and other forumgroupthink on how to play p1999...

Let me say, YOU are the only one who is playing the game properly!
Old 06-18-2016, 12:07 PM
Planar Protector

As I was looking around the elf city more....I kept noticing guards sleeping. I figured their shields were probably uncomfortable while napping, so I borrowed them!

I ..uhm....tried to look for the guards to return their shields later....but when I couldn't find them, I turned the shields into a nearby merchant for a finders fee! I made a few more platinum though! Elves really appreciate their shields being found! I'm really helpful.

But I couldn't get distracted! I was on a mission! I had to learn brewing so I could make myself a fancy weapon!

Only problem was Kelethin doesn't have a good place to learn brewing...so I had to go back to Ak'anon for a little bit to study it. All of the gnomes in the city I knew were pretty impressed by all of my fancy armor. I kept telling them I was on secret gnome adventuring business....but they didn't believe me. Oh well!

I spent all my money learning to brew just enough to get the parts for a whip....enough for two tries!

The first one failed....I wasn't sure what I would do if the second one failed too!! I was nervous to try and make it!

But I steadied myself and started sewing....and a few minutes later....I had done it!! I had made a whip!!

With this I could go back to adventuring! Even stronger than before!!!

So I stuck around the city and joined the elves in their war against the orcs for a while. An elf even cast some magic on me so I was pretty strong.

But....after a while....I started to hear rumors about a great bazaar. My whip was pretty good, of course! But I really wanted a mighty dagger.... I had saved up an entire 20pp again....maybe , just maybe, I could find something even stronger there? Or, at least find some adventure!

So, I left Kelethin and went to Butcherblock mountains to take the boat to freeport!

But, as I was passing through the mountains, I noticed a druid...hmmm....even better!! And away we went!!

When I got to the common lands... I had to find the bazaar...it was actually pretty easy to find with all of the traffic! It seemed there were probably over ten thousand people there!!

I walked around for a while....looking out for something that I could afford....and something that looked pokey.

Then I heard over all the shouting someone selling a dagger for 40pp!! It was double the amount I had!!

Hmm, but it was a pretty good dagger.....it was time to use my gnomish haggling skills. I would start off with all my money!!!

"Would you take...22pp for that dagger?! If you think about it, the dagger for a gnome is a lot smaller than a full sized dagger...so it should cost less...."

"Ok, I'll take 20pp"

Woa! It had worked!! On the first try!! And he didn't even hear me right!! He thought I said only 20pp!! I had a 2pp savings!!

I guess it was time to retire my whip. I wished I woulda thought of coming here sooner! I had spent so much time and money making it!! But oh well! Now I had....a jagged chokidai spine! I wonder what a chokidai is....

I was pretty proud of myself. This dagger was probably one of the best daggers in the world!

So I took some time to look around the bazaar some more...even though I was out of money.

That is when I met the swashbuckler....

"Psst....gnome....if you want to be a great adventurer....you gotta learn how to bandage wounds."

I wasn't sure how he knew I was going to be a great adventurer....or how he knew I hadn't tried bandaging wounds before, since I was too poor to afford bandages. But he was right!! If I was going to be a great adventurer, I had to learn!!!

Luckily I found a magician nearby who summoned me a bunch of bandages to practice with!

So, for the next long while, I practiced not only bandaging wounds....but also jumping from things to hurt myself! I'm happy to say I'm pretty good at both things now.

After all of that, I finally went to Freeport to rest and meet up with another gnome from Ak'anon. I knew I could stay there for the night at least. And he had a pretty good business going!! Maybe if this adventuring thing didn't work out I could sell drinks too!

Old 06-18-2016, 01:07 PM
Fire Giant

/subscribe
Old 06-18-2016, 02:30 PM
Planar Protector

The next day when I woke up I went back to the bazaar while thinking of what to do next. But, before I could think of something, a human came running through the bazaar being chased by a monster!

I sprung into action and used my fancy new dagger to save him!! At least at first....then the monster turned on me!!! I was still only level 6, so this was a slight problem.

Lucky for me there were others around who followed my lead and joined in the battle. In the end, we defeated it and saved everyone there from its rampage!

An ogre in the bazaar was so impressed he let me try on his fancy armor!!!

I was worried it wouldn't fit me at first, but it worked out ok! If the gnomes could see me now, they would never believe it!!!

I ran around wearing the armor for a little bit. I could tell the ogre seemed pretty nervous that I would scratch it or something.... but I still managed to find the barbarian graveyard!

After that...I gave the armor back and was back to thinking of what to do....

The magician I met the day before had given me some bandage buying money for real bandages....but I had heard about an even better armor than patchwork I was curious about. It was studded armor! One of the best armors!

But to make that, I would have to learn smithing....and I heard that was pretty expensive.

As I went around Freeport trying to find out just how expensive smithing was, I noticed some more sleeping guards. First elves, now humans?! Gnome guards never slept on the job!!

The human guards looked pretty uncomfortable with their hats on though....so....I borrowed those too! I could only find a few, but I was sure I could turn them in for a finders fee!!

Didn't take long to find out who wanted them at least.

After that I discovered where the forges were....and whew, I was right, smithing was really expensive! I spent almost the rest of my money making some metal bits!

As I was looking around Freeport for a file mold to turn them into studs for the new armor....I noticed a wood elf working at another forge!

I was pretty unsure about trying to turn the metal bits into studs myself, I was sure I would lose most of the parts and only make a few myself....I wondered if maybe the wood elf could do it instead?

I asked him how good he was at smithing and it turned out he had been doing it a lot longer than I had! So I gave him my metal bits and the file to make the studs! Better him than me!

After talking to him some more it turned out he also knew how to sew!!!! Sewing studded armor is a lot harder than patchwork armor ....maybe he could put the things together for me too! This was going a lot faster than I had thought!!! Originally I imagined I would only be able to make a couple pieces...but, now I had hope of getting an entire set of the fanciest armor!

He said he would be happy to, but I needed to find some good quality wolf hides first.

That's when I remembered the tailors in Kelethin and all of their wolf skins for sale! I told him to wait there and ran out to find another druid! I was in a hurry! I had to get the pelts and bring them back before he went to sleep!!

It didn't take too long to find a druid, and before I knew it I had bags full of good hides!!

Then I ran back to meet Treelord in Freeport to finish the armor.

I was tired from all of the running I had been doing....so while he sewed them together, I went upstairs and found a gnome sized bed to take a nap on. I guess lots of gnomes come to Freeport, they seemed to have a lot of gnome beds!

When I woke up, Treelord had already finished and left the armor for me and even a fancy hand made bag!!

After a little bit of hunting I reached level 7....and studied how to pick pockets....

Now I was prepared....prepared for real adventure!!! Armor, picking pockets, a dagger....I was going to be rich! I just had to find something with lots of treasure!!
Old 06-18-2016, 03:06 PM
Planar Protector

Today was the day I set out to look for adventure!

I was ready!

My plan was to find giants and dragons and pick their pockets to get treasure! Then, I would be rich!

I had heard rumors of giants and dragons from adventurers...that they lived in the ice lands of Velious!

So, that was where I was going to go!

It didn't take too long till I found a druid that could teleport and told him where I wanted to go....but when he teleported us....before I realized what had happened, he had teleported me back home to Steamfont Mountains again!!!!!! I'd been gnome-napped!

"I'm not taking you to die. You are safer here. This is for your own good."

"No! I'm going on an adventure! You don't understand!!"

But he wouldn't listen!

As I argued with him to take me back, another druid appeared.

"Help! This druid kidnapped me with his magic!! I'm supposed to go to velious!!".

The other druid seemed a little confused.... also telling me it was dangerous. Apparently they both didn't realize my armor was studded....and didn't see the extra dangerous dagger I had....

But after a little convincing, the other druid agreed to take me where the first druid refused!

Before we left I went and bought a parrying dagger just in case, and some throwing knives..... I had to be prepared.

Then, in a puff of magic, we were gone....and soon in the icy lands of Velious!

I'd gotten some maps to the giant city, so had a good idea which way to go for adventure. As I was running though, I noticed the rabbits seemed like good hunting....but figured I would leave them alone, since everything else around them seemed like trouble.

Eventually I made it to the giant city...just as the moon was setting.

The problem was, once I got to the giant city...there was no one else around! Everyone was sleeping I guess....just an ogre...and a warrior....

I picked a few giants pockets, and helped the warrior fight some giants.... but it definitely wasn't what I was expecting. If I was going to pick lots of monsters pockets and get rich, I needed distractions!

As the couple of us were sitting around at the entrance of the giant city...suddenly they started talking about needing to leave to kill something big. A dragon?!

I wasn't going to let them go without me!

It didn't take too much convincing even, and they invited me to join them!

This was a little easier than I thought....but I wasn't gonna question it.....then before long...a druid showed up and teleported us all away.

Eventually we came to a giant pit in some city....and the druid told us to jump. The warrior didn't seem so sure about it....and I was fairly sure this was a trap.

But the warrior was too scared to jump first....I knew if we were going to make it, I had to lead!! Gnomes are braver than barbarians you know! So I jumped in!!

But, I was right, it was a trap!! And within moments I woke up as a ghost in the giants city! But then moments later I was awakened back to my body!! Things were getting crazy!!

There were lots of other adventurers there too. I guess this was all part of their plan....

As they looked me over a little bit, somehow they started to realize I hadn't fought a dragon before!!!! I'm not sure how, my studded armor and dagger was as good as any adventurer had!

But it was too late now....we had a dragon to kill!!!!

Sadly, when I looked around the corner, it wasn't a dragon at all....just....a giant rock elemental! I'm not sure if that is more dangerous than a dragon....I doubt it though.

Still, we had a job to do!!

As I snuck around the group making sure there was no ambushes coming....they started to realize just how sneaksy I was....

"Sneaksy....we.....we need you to pull the elemental! This is only a job you can do!!!!"

"What...me? I....ok!!! I can do it!!!!! I'm ready!!!!!!"

I had to do my gnomish duty! Apparently the elemental had great magic and the first person he saw would be forced to endure his power!!! Everyone recognized that I was the only one there that had any chance of resisting it!!!!! -nods nods-

And so....I snuck into position....and when they gave me the signal...I sprung into action and started shouting at the elemental!

"Hay mud face! I'm over here! You don't have the pebbles to attack me!"

The elemental stared at me for a moment....and then I could see rage in its eyes as it rushed forward. Uhm....maybe I had overdone it a little bit.....

I turned around and jumped into the pond behind me! Moments of silence....and then the last thing I remember was hearing it start to cast a spell.....

Then, I woke up in the giants city as a ghost again!!! But I knew a mighty battle was happening, and I had played a pivotal role in it!

A few moments later I was revived to my body again....a complete gnome!

We had won!!! Defeated the elemental!!

After that, we all escaped the pit and before I knew it I was back in the common lands....

Though...I never got a chance to pick its pockets.....in fact, I didn't make any money at all!!!

Pfft, it was a good adventure, but how was I going to make a million platinum like this?!
Last edited by Ivory; 06-18-2016 at 03:18 PM..
Old 06-18-2016, 06:36 PM
Sarnak

This is awesome!
Old 06-18-2016, 06:49 PM
Planar Protector

Good read.

Edit: About 5 mins after reading this i was strolling through Wakening Lands and saw your corpse. Hope there is a story behind it :P
Last edited by Thulack; 06-18-2016 at 06:58 PM..
Closed Thread