Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 05-30-2018, 04:20 PM
Planar Protector

Question How Do You Define Trolling?

I just got banned from a subreddit because I was "trolling", but (of course) I didn't see it as trolling at all, I saw it as "repeating an unpopular opinion multiple times in the same Reddit thread." But clearly there is a fine line between those two, so I thought I'd ask the experts [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

How do you define trolling, specifically? If you were a moderator here, and you banned someone for trolling, what would you tell them they did wrong (besides just "trolling")? Where would you draw the line between a person disagreeing with the majority once, doing so repeatedly, and actually being a troll?

And of course feel free to troll me as an example, but it better be a properly illustrative trolling if you do.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Last edited by loramin; 05-30-2018 at 04:24 PM..
Old 05-30-2018, 04:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I just got banned from a subreddit
If you get banned from Reddit, it probably means you're a fun and normal person.

Reddit is filled with annoying pedantic nerds.

And I say that as someone who plays a 20 year old elf sim.
Old 05-30-2018, 04:32 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinoTriz [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If you get banned from Reddit, it probably means you're a fun and normal person.
Well after the terrible bruising my ego just took, that was exactly what it needed to hear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maskedmelon [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
you are a troll loramin, but I have forgiven you for it because you are so talented at it that I find myself adrift in a puddle of doublethink, knowing full well the contrary of my feelings.

love,
<3 <3 <3 <3

But don't just flatter me with compliments Melon, I need to know why I'm a troll (or, more specifically, what separates a troll like myself from a legitimate non-troll who disagrees with lots of people).

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 05-30-2018, 04:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Well after the terrible bruising my ego just took, that was exactly what it needed to hear.
Sometimes I'll visit Reddit after a few weeks of a break and it really hits me, the majority of that website is so fucking lame.

Reddit is like that kid you hung out with that had really cool toys but he was a total narc and wet blanket, ratting you out to your parents whenever you veered off course.

I'd prefer using 4Chan if only it aggregated posts better and it wasn't filled with so much anime.

There are a handful of subreddits that manage to stay decent though.

However, the defaults are complete ass.
Old 05-30-2018, 04:55 PM
Banned

Usually my goal is to elicit emotional disregulation in the target by assuming viewpoints and postures which I have no personal commitment to. Also unintelligible shit posting, or highly elaborate and artistic shit posting which appears almost the same to the untrained eye
Old 05-30-2018, 05:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagpieRockyl [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Usually my goal is to elicit emotional disregulation in the target by assuming viewpoints and postures which I have no personal commitment to. Also unintelligible shit posting, or highly elaborate and artistic shit posting which appears almost the same to the untrained eye
Old 05-30-2018, 05:27 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagpieRockyl [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 05-30-2018, 08:44 PM
Planar Protector

It's all about perspective. I've had I think 4 suspensions and then a permaban. If consistency counted for anything, either a lot more people would also have been suspended or I feel like I didn't cross the line on some of those occasions.

People just write you off as a troll if you post frequently or say something they don't want to hear, not much you can do about it.
Old 05-30-2018, 09:11 PM
Sarnak

Wow sounds like you broke the rules and are blaming everyone but yourself. Everyone else can follow the rules, why can't you?
Old 05-30-2018, 09:29 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swish2 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
People just write you off as a troll if you post frequently or say something they don't want to hear, not much you can do about it.
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnome Wizard [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
you are definitely a troll , you have 3,140 + Posts and haven't said anything yet.
Even so, I truly am flattered that you took the time out of your day to read all 3,140 + of them so that you could make such an assessment. I'm both impressed and concerned.

Last edited by loramin; 05-30-2018 at 09:34 PM..
Closed Thread