Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 09-08-2019, 08:08 PM
Aviak

Default Any way to make options character-specific, not account-wide?

I'm really trying to work around the clunky UI changes implemented today and part of that is customizing hotkeys moreso for each character. But hotkeys are account-wide... is there a way to disable this and make them character-specific?
Old 09-09-2019, 12:21 AM
Aviak

You can use WinEQ2 to create different profiles which will allow for different keybinds per character
Old 09-09-2019, 12:12 PM
Fire Giant

Does that feature require the subscription fee?
Old 09-09-2019, 12:20 PM
Aviak

I like how this was moved from technical discussion to Rants & Flames for, presumably, the use of the word clunky and calling a spade a spade.
Old 09-09-2019, 12:20 PM
Aviak

I'll try, ReadOnly.
Old 09-09-2019, 12:52 PM
Kobold

I'm not sure what you mean about hotkeys being account-wide. Like the keybinds? Because as far as I'm aware, that's the only part of it that is account-wide.
Old 09-09-2019, 12:55 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinaki [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I like how this was moved from technical discussion to Rants & Flames for, presumably, the use of the word clunky and calling a spade a spade.
Yeah, seems like a moderator failure ... but with all of the recent patch cry babies I imagine the mods are having to deal with a lot, so I'm sure it was an honest mistake.

Hopefully they'll move it back soon.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 09-09-2019, 12:57 PM
Planar Protector

By the way, there's a very kludgy solution to your problem: just copy your EQ directory for each separate character profile, and make shortcuts to the files in each one for each of your characters.

It will require wasting several gigs of space per character, and again it's kludgy, but you'll wind up with icons on your desktop for each character that take you to EQ instances with the preferences you want for that character.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 09-09-2019, 01:06 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
By the way, there's a very kludgy solution to your problem: just copy your EQ directory for each separate character profile, and make shortcuts to the files in each one for each of your characters.

It will require wasting several gigs of space per character, and again it's kludgy, but you'll wind up with icons on your desktop for each character that take you to EQ instances with the preferences you want for that character.
You can do this without wasting any space via the use of symbolic links in Windows. Effectively all the different EQ directories would "point" to the common files and reference their own EQClient.ini files.
Celent - 60 Sorcerer!
Stratah - 58 Troubadour!
Joan - 58 Knight!
Colin - 52 Rake!

Guild Leader of <Eclipse>
Old 09-09-2019, 01:10 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droxx [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You can do this without wasting any space via the use of symbolic links in Windows. Effectively all the different EQ directories would "point" to the common files and reference their own EQClient.ini files.
Maybe symbolic links on Windows work differently, but on Linux they're basically suped-up shortcuts, which means they won't work here.

If you make a three symlinks to the same EQ folder, that folder will still have just one eqclient.ini. If you make three symlinks to that file, same issue.

What you want is:
  • Folder A with all your actual EQ files
  • Folder B with only a single real file (eqclient.ini) and symlinks for every other file pointing to the actual versions in A
  • Folder C, again with only a single real file (eqclient.ini) and symlinks for every other file pointing to the actual versions in A

... but that would require making like a bajillion symlinks: there are a lot of files in the EverQuest directory and sub-directories.

Closed Thread