Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 03:17 AM
Kobold

Default The benefit of Warriors?

Okay, so I have a friend who is playing a warrior, and he's kinda wishing he made a Paladin or SK instead now because it doesn't really seem like his warrior has any real advantages.

They can't DPS as well as other melee classes, they're supposed to tank and hold aggro, but it's tough to hold aggro when another player is doing wayyyy more damage than you are. They have more HP than other melees, I think, but that doesn't mean too much because it's tough to keep aggro. They don't have any spells like a pally, SK or ranger, and they don't DPS like a Rogue or Monk. So exactly what do warriors do better than any other class, and are they really practical for a player who can't afford to spend like 25K on gear?
Old 08-19-2011, 03:21 AM
Kobold

Quote:
They can't DPS as well as other melee classes
Check DPS tables. Warriors do very well behind monks and rogues.
Old 08-19-2011, 03:24 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
are they really practical for a player who can't afford to spend like 25K on gear?
good question, the answer is no
Old 08-19-2011, 03:25 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Check DPS tables. Warriors do very well behind monks and rogues.
What is it that determines how frequently you miss when meleeing?
Old 08-19-2011, 03:36 AM
Fire Giant

Warriors are just the best maintanks for raids mainly. Id say paladins and Sks are better for groups, cause they can hold aggro, pull and some other useful things (Lay hands/ harm touch). Keep in mind Paladins and SKs also have a 40% exp penalty, while warrior has a 5% exp bonus. To hold aggro as a warrior you need to rely on proc weapons. I think obsidian shard is a good choice at the lower levels, later maybe the short sword of ykesha, im not really sure what new warrior weapons are out there since kunark. This is mainly second hand info as i never played a warrior. Paladin and SKs are probably more noob-friendly, they can also solo better than warriors (but still not very good). But the exp penalty hurts.
Old 08-19-2011, 03:38 AM
Orc

DPS also shouldn't be spamming abilities to get aggro. That's part of their class; you do great dmg but unless you watch what you're doing you're going to get hit and maybe die or at least waste a bunch of healer mana.

If warriors could hold it and lock it the entire time with 1 or 2 taunts there's no risk and little reward for being smart or careful.
Old 08-19-2011, 03:39 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excellio [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Okay, so I have a friend who is playing a warrior, and he's kinda wishing he made a Paladin or SK instead now because it doesn't really seem like his warrior has any real advantages.

They can't DPS as well as other melee classes, they're supposed to tank and hold aggro, but it's tough to hold aggro when another player is doing wayyyy more damage than you are. They have more HP than other melees, I think, but that doesn't mean too much because it's tough to keep aggro. They don't have any spells like a pally, SK or ranger, and they don't DPS like a Rogue or Monk. So exactly what do warriors do better than any other class, and are they really practical for a player who can't afford to spend like 25K on gear?
Warriors are basically the best tanks on raids because of their disciplines and because of their high HP. For raid mobs they can get quick aggro using clicky items like midnight mallets (obviously this isn't really practical in an exp group). If you want to have more fun with a warrior I would suggest farming rechargeable clickies like crystalline orb, root nets, and other good utility items, that way you can feel like your class does more than just turn auto attack on in groups.
Lardna Minch, 18 Warrior

Project 1999 (PvP):
[50 (sometimes 49) Bard] Wolfram Alpha (Half Elf) ZONE: oasis
Old 08-19-2011, 03:49 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excellio [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Better skillcaps in just about any relevant skill (defense, offense, weapons, etc)
Better AC tables
Better HP tables
Better DMG tables
The hybrid discs are pretty much a joke in comparison to the warrior ones and this is a key aspect in tanking raid bosses. A hybrid would have to be ridiculously well geared beyond whatever expansion was current to compete.

I honestly don't see that much of a difference from Live concerning warrior aggro. What I do see is the recklessness of people still in the mindset that they shouldn't have to adjust their aggro generation in the least bit. Waiting to slow at like 80% or nuke at 50% was standard fare on Live during this time period (even with hybrids, since mana wasn't really endless like it was when KEI came around). Here, I see that shit hitting before the mobs are even in camp and then they run around screaming to taunt it off them on a consistent basis.
Last edited by Arrisard; 08-19-2011 at 03:52 AM..
Old 08-19-2011, 04:06 AM
Sarnak

Your friend's effectiveness really depends on his level and gear. Obviously, max the AC. Warrior aggro is mostly built thru weapon procs. Obsidian shards start proc'ing at level 16. Polished Granite Tomahawk is a good cheap alternative. At Level 37, Ykesha weapons (Short sword of, Ykeshan war club are cheapest for WARs). The Kunzar Ku'juch procs at level 40 with a snare effect and is super cheap, if necessary. After he gets to raiding level, he will find a new better weapon. It really sounds like your friend could benefit from researching the class a little bit before he thinks Warriors are worthless =)
Old 08-19-2011, 05:20 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrisard [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Better skillcaps in just about any relevant skill (defense, offense, weapons, etc)
Better AC tables
Better HP tables
Better DMG tables
The hybrid discs are pretty much a joke in comparison to the warrior ones and this is a key aspect in tanking raid bosses. A hybrid would have to be ridiculously well geared beyond whatever expansion was current to compete.

I honestly don't see that much of a difference from Live concerning warrior aggro. What I do see is the recklessness of people still in the mindset that they shouldn't have to adjust their aggro generation in the least bit. Waiting to slow at like 80% or nuke at 50% was standard fare on Live during this time period (even with hybrids, since mana wasn't really endless like it was when KEI came around). Here, I see that shit hitting before the mobs are even in camp and then they run around screaming to taunt it off them on a consistent basis.
You got it all down 100% - I too sense a "WOW-sickness" meaning people just firing their shit off not being aware of aggro or the general game mechanics.

All the people claiming warriors aren't good in groups, what level of groups are you refering to?

There is nothing like an attentive and experienced warrior in a group acting like a daddy, grabbing aggro and watching over everyone. :-)
Closed Thread