Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 09-03-2011, 09:24 PM
Kobold

Default Hack the Planet?

Who am I? I was a casual player who got banned over some bullshit. I said something Nilbog said was bullshit (that we should continue to post exploits to the exploit forum that haven't been fixed in over a year) and Uthgaard banned me from forums for it. I then called Uthgaard a name in R&F and was banned in game including two friends who had connected from the same IP as me. Although I got the impression I would be unbanned if I waited the usual 6 months for a response I decided to just leave since I would be missing Kunark launch now anyway.

I said I wouldn't be back until Uthgaard wasn't a GM and that he was creating a major anti-administration sentiment that would ruin this server eventually. I said Nilbog was being too lax in his control over the staff of this server as project manager.

I also said, as you can see in my post history, that the staff continued to talk about things like DDOS attacks when there was a major angle of attack they weren't giving enough attention to. I said all it would take is someone putting enough time or money in and they could destroy this whole project. What I was referring to was the promotion of third party cheating programs. I was one of the developers for MQ2 and I saw how it became one of the primary reasons original EQ was destroyed, particularly the economy and raiding. When the economy gets tougher for the average player and end game raiding relies on cheating you have a recipe for disaster. I said there is NO solution to this, the cheaters will win the in end, IF they want to so the only solution is to not create such a strong "Fuck P99" attitude.

So, here we are. Turns out people had been promoting MQ2 heavily to their guilds. Improper response to this cheating pushed that anti-administration sentiment over the top. Uthgaard resigns (for other reasons) and those people who have been waiting for this day for awhile come out in force feeding on the previous improper response to cheating. Now the forum turns into a gigantic FUCK THE STAFF/SERVER celebration. There are too many posters and threads to just ban and delete everything as is usual damage control here. Another developer, Xz, resigns due to this response and not wanting to make Nilbog deal with it.

Now that we're all caught up I have an actual point to make...

Almost everyone here is here because we want to play classic EQ again and SOE is only offering a pile of shit. I don't think anyone would argue that this is the best classic EQ experience ever offered and comes very close to be perfect in terms of the code and database. This server reaches a height of around 800 players during primetime. Original EQ servers were closer to 2-3,000. So in case you haven't realized it yet this is basically the end friends. When this server is gone population will never get higher, there is no interest. There might be future classic servers but they will continue to dwindle in population. It doesn't matter who has the code and database. If this community is splintered it will die.

So please.. stop fucking everything up for those players who just want to play classic EQ and don't care about raiding, the admins, or any other bullshit. It's selfish and entitled. You're just turning this single chance people have to enjoy classic EQ together into an increasingly shitty emulator server. EQEmu has always been a joke until P99 but the use of third party programs, spamming the forums, even admin actions, and so on is making it a a joke again and when this place shuts down all you're going to have left is WoW and WoW clones for a long time to come.

I'm speaking to those of you were legitimately dealt a bunch of bullshit by the staff here. Speaking from experience I know your story and so do hundreds of other people. There are still thousands of players though, hundreds which log on every night, and are just playing some classic EQ. You might think you're finally getting back at the staff for your unfair ban or whatever but ultimately you will be hurting those thousands of players who just want a place to play classic EQ. Just let those people who are drunk on power do whatever they're going to do. It's not worth punishing thousands of people and an entire community for the actions of a few assholes. And I'm not just referring to some of the staff here, I'm referring to certain guild leaders, certain players, you all know the people I mean who are taking this way too seriously.

To those of you continuing to patch the MQ2 source to evade detection and distributing it to ruin this server. Just STOP. I know you can win and so do a lot of other people, but what are you really accomplishing? Is it worth it?

Speaking as a former developer of MQ2 I feel confident in speaking for Lax, DKAA, and the other top devs that doing this is some serious bullshit. In the end we all felt bad for what we did to original EQ and here you are doing the same thing but with specific malicious intent. Just go outside and play some basketball instead.

inb4 you all say this is bullshit like you did before when I said this was coming, instead I would suggest you ask the people patching MQ2/SEQ to please stop, there are only a handful of them.
Old 09-03-2011, 09:51 PM
Kobold

Staff like to involve mall cops to be worthy of developing than actual people with a solid history.

If the source was open (not the database) we wouldn't be having this problem with bullshit staff and having to play on a server filled with retard drama that can never be fixed.
#1 pal of the year
King Smedy
Old 09-03-2011, 09:52 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
inb4 you all say this is bullshit like you did before when I said this was coming, instead I would suggest you ask the people patching MQ2/SEQ to please stop, there are only a handful of them.
Old 09-03-2011, 10:02 PM
Planar Protector

I think people hack because it's a game in itself. Is a great way to learn how to code too and have fun.

I just wish they had more empathy and understanding of the consequences it has on others.

By hurting others you hurt yourself. It's karma. What goes around comes around.

Conservation of energy is memory. The universe remembers our actions.

But we're all going to die. No one survives this. Nobody.

Doesn't matter, though. There's always another one just like us somewhere, sometime.

And the other one is just as dumb and blind as we're.

Raiding: http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...&postcount=109
P1999 Class Popularity Chart: http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...7&postcount=48
P1999 PvP Statistics: http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...9&postcount=59

"Global chat is to conversation what pok books are to travel, but without sufficient population it doesn't matter."
Last edited by stormlord; 09-03-2011 at 10:20 PM..
Old 09-03-2011, 10:16 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormlord [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I think people hack because it's a game in itself. Is a great way to learn how to code too and have fun.

I just wish they had more empathy and understanding of the consequences it has on others.

I think some people enjoy banning others too much, though. It's the "PWnd!" type of person.
That's pretty much the situation. I was a developer of MQ2 because it taught me reverse engineering and how to code in C++ and made it enjoyable because I had actual interesting code to write that was useful to me and others.

When I got banned for calling Uthgaard a name it really pissed me off especially when he was in the wrong for banning me from forums according to the forum rules since I said that something Nilbog said was bullshit, I never called anyone a name. Oh and when he banned me he called me a bunch of names so I felt it was only fair that I get to return the favor. Staff initiates personal attacks and bans you before you can respond? And I'm supposed to miss Kunark launch now along with my friends who had NOTHING to do with this because it takes 10 years to get a response to petitions and Uthgaard keeps banning me from forums erasing my petition thread so I have to wait over again?

I had an intricate plan to royally fuck over this entire project including EQEmu but then I stepped back and realized, why should I let staff response cause me to ruin the enjoyment of thousands of people? I really hope people who find themselves in a similar situation come to that same conclusion. I really don't think you'll find a more unfair ban than mine considering I was essentially banned because a staff member broke the rules and if I can move on peacefully so can you (speaking to everyone who has been banned).
Old 09-04-2011, 01:02 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormlord [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

By hurting others you hurt yourself. It's karma. What goes around comes around.

Conservation of energy is memory. The universe remembers our actions.

But we're all going to die. No one survives this. Nobody.

Doesn't matter, though. There's always another one just like us somewhere, sometime.

And the other one is just as dumb and blind as we're.
can i hit dat br0
Old 09-04-2011, 01:14 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotstud [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
when he banned me he called me a bunch of names so I felt it was only fair that I get to return the favor. Staff initiates personal attacks and bans you before you can respond?
I've personally dealt with Uthgaard ONCE and it left the most bitter taste in my mouth that I've ever had in dealing with anybody in customer service. I know that this is a volunteer job, but it doesn't give you the right to walk all over your customers and call them names.

I can safely say that I'm glad to see him gone. Not only for my personal pride, but for the success of the project. I know that I wasn't about to donate a dime with Uthgaard in charge of customer service.
Old 09-04-2011, 01:52 AM
Banned

Uthgaard feels entitled, or else he wouldn't of released his own logs to other people.
Old 09-04-2011, 01:56 AM
Banned

Sort of reminds me of a certain whiny brat from another forum who runs and cries there like anyone gives a shit when he gets banned for being a scumbag.

No childish sense of entitlement there, nah.
Old 09-04-2011, 01:59 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrison [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Sort of reminds me of a certain whiny brat from another forum who runs and cries there like anyone gives a shit when he gets banned for being a scumbag.

No childish sense of entitlement there, nah.
The community is entitled to multiple options to play Everquest. On servers without bullshit mall cops that dictate idiocy onto the whole project.

Disrupting the way in which it can even support itself.

For over 2-3 years I have personally lobbied on behalf of the community that wants an open-source EQ project in which fundamental parts of the operation isn't bugged in an atrocious manner. This is why there aren't more classic servers, because the source available is OLD AS FUCK.

The more you parlay with me, the more you will learn that regardless of your stance against me, I continue to push for progression in this project that are leaps and bounds above your understanding.
Closed Thread