Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 08:36 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Default What impacts ability for fear spell to stick?

As I have gotten my necromancer close to 30, I am noticing more and more stuff is resisting fear. Some 4 times in a row, in which I give up. Up until about low 20s, I never had this issue besides the occasional resist here and there. But at 29, even stuff that is 7 or 8 levels below me is resisting much more than usual. Is there any stat that directly influences fear or is it just weird coding on the emulator to make it behave this way? (it is a level 4 spell after all) I don't recall having this problem when I played EQ live but that was a long time ago.
Old 09-06-2011, 08:45 PM
Sarnak

depends on alot really level or the type of mob.. if he has HIGH MR or not, i mean normally if its a low dark blue then it usually wont resist much but a new fresh db may resist lil more then a lower db but it all has to do with what type of mob and lvl really
Old 09-06-2011, 08:52 PM
Kobold

Once my druid hit 27 I started to notice a lot more resists on magic based spells. At first I thought it was a coincidence but then started to realize that it's not. A bard friend that I group with frequently has said the same thing.
Old 09-06-2011, 09:25 PM
Banned

The problem is that the resist code on P99 is still waaaaaay on the "err toward gimping players" philosophy that has been used here since day 1.
Old 09-06-2011, 10:08 PM
Fire Giant

The stat is definitely MR. Having said that, there were changes made to the resist system a little while back that changed the behavior of resists. With nothing other than annecdotal evidence to support it, in my observation, I have noticed that resists are higher than what I would expect for some levels. This is particularly noticable in the 30s. After 40 this smooths out and if anything, resists may be a bit less prevalent than one might expect.
Old 09-06-2011, 10:48 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slave [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The problem is that the resist code on P99 is still waaaaaay on the "err toward gimping players" philosophy that has been used here since day 1.
Resists are fine and classic. Start fighting blue con mobs.
Lardna Minch, 18 Warrior

Project 1999 (PvP):
[50 (sometimes 49) Bard] Wolfram Alpha (Half Elf) ZONE: oasis
Old 09-06-2011, 10:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazortag [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Resists are fine and classic. Start fighting blue con mobs.
If you think that, you either haven't leveled from 1-50 or a while or never played Classic Everquest.

I am in a constant state of leveling my characters, because of the stupidness that is the endgame raid content on P99. I level mainly casters. At no point have I ever said, "Wow you know what, these resists seem really good and fair compared to what they used to be such a short time ago on Live." There were, however, many, MANY times I said "there is no fucking way that should ever happen."
Old 09-06-2011, 11:14 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slave [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If you think that, you either haven't leveled from 1-50 or a while or never played Classic Everquest.

I am in a constant state of leveling my characters, because of the stupidness that is the endgame raid content on P99. I level mainly casters. At no point have I ever said, "Wow you know what, these resists seem really good and fair compared to what they used to be such a short time ago on Live." There were, however, many, MANY times I said "there is no fucking way that should ever happen."

I don't want to be too contentious but I really see no problem with the resists as they are. I played an SK in classic and have some idea of what resists were like. I leveled a Bard here from 1-60 here (roughly 50-60 when the new resist changes went in), and I have an enchanter floating around level 23 here as well. What I've noticed:

-If a mob is a low blue con, I almost never get resists (maybe 5% of the time at most).
-If a mob is a high blue con (say, 1-2 levels lower than me), resist rates are much higher (maybe ~25% of the time)

For instance, my Bard's mez spell has a nearly 100% chance of landing on mobs in the level 45-49 range. I say this because as far as I know I have never gotten a resist on a mob in that range since I hit 60. However if a mob is closer to my mez's level cap (55), resists are much more frequent (for example, my mez gets resisted on the bees in Sky about 60% of the time, roughly the same percentage of the time for Drusella, and probably about as low as 20% of the time for the shrooms in Seb). If my enchanter is fighting a blue con ghoul in Unrest, nothing ever gets resisted, but if he's fighting a level 20+ mob, again, resists happen maybe once every four spells. This is just my experience and I don't find these numbers are that brutal, and they seem classically accurate as far as I remember.
Lardna Minch, 18 Warrior

Project 1999 (PvP):
[50 (sometimes 49) Bard] Wolfram Alpha (Half Elf) ZONE: oasis
Old 09-06-2011, 11:27 PM
Kobold

I only played a wizard in classic. The resists were enough to make baby Jeebus weep. I remember root being resisted three and four times in a row. I remember full resists of ice, fire, you name it, on blue mobs. Classic resists just plain sucked for certain classes/spells. The only "unresistable" spells seemed to be lifetaps. That's why necros were so desirable on dragon raids.
Old 09-07-2011, 12:14 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazortag [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
...once every four spells. This is just my experience and I don't find these numbers are that brutal, and they seem classically accurate as far as I remember.
then let's both not derail the thead into who remembered what resistances in Classic and get back to the matter of the OP.

The two biggest things that affect your ability to land a Fear, in order of importance, are 1) your level compared to the mob, and 2) the mob's magic resistance.
Closed Thread