Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Server Issues > Resolved Issues

Closed Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 10:02 PM
Kobold

Default Enchanter mez and memblur

On live, and as far back as I ever played: On low level mobs (the cut off being somewhere between 30 and 35), a successful application of any spell in the mez line (mesmerize, enthrall, entrance, mesmerization, etc) will, 100% of the time, wipe the memory of the mob. However, I have mezzed several things with mesmerize and have yet to see a successful memwipe.

Lucy shows a 1% chance, though that only applies to enemies that are higher level and no longer have the guaranteed memblur. It looks to me that p1999 is treating the chance to blur the same for all level ranges, which it is most certainly not how live has operated. I'll note that there is an exception to the workings of mez memblur, in that reapplying the same mez before it wears off will re-aggro the mob but not blur it. Overwriting one mez with another, however, will successfully memwipe the mob on live.

The level range that this applys is the same level range that a successful feign death should, 100% of the time, completely mem wipe the mob with respect to the player that feigns death. On higher level enemies, the feign death will only shed all memory of agro some of the time. I can't check this since I don't have a FD capable character on p1999 yet.

Edit: I forgot as I assumed it won't matter: The enemies I've seen mez not blur are snakes, skunks, kobolds, beetles, and skeletons in toxxulia; wisps and the madman in erud's crossing; snakes, beetles, bats, gnolls, skeletons, wolves, and bears in qeynos and qeynos hills. And, much to my lament, gnolls in blackburrow.
Last edited by Dersk; 06-13-2010 at 11:49 PM..
Old 06-14-2010, 03:00 PM
Kobold

This is the case with FD, but not with mez. I never recall mez memblurring 100% in any situation whatsoever.

ex-Tholuxe Paells player

If I spent half as much time playing as forum-ing, I'd be 50 by now.
Old 06-14-2010, 03:34 PM
Aviak

Mez spells have an chance to mem blur a mob some of the time I know this was the case Kunark +, unsure about Classic though.
Old 06-14-2010, 03:48 PM
Developer

Send a message via AIM to Aeolwind Send a message via MSN to Aeolwind Send a message via Yahoo to Aeolwind

Yeah, memblur has never been a no-fail situation. Even the GM Memblur lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilbog
If all the polls I have done up until now fully counted, you would be playing on some abomination of a PVP server with 2-10 boxing based on votes from people named xcm234nv and adfa234.
Old 06-14-2010, 03:58 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeolwind [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Wow, now that is surprising!
Old 06-14-2010, 06:38 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeolwind [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
1st, it's how the spell works on live and has done so for years. I can't find any comments or patch notes saying it has ever changed.

Quote:
http://web.archive.org/web/200105050...asp?SpellID=20
A mesmerised monster also has around a 95% chance of having its Hate List wiped, similiar to the effects of Memory Blur. Just make sure you are beyond the frenzy range when it wears off to ensure success.
The difference here between their 95% chance and my claim of 100% chance can be explained by refreshing mez, which doesn't mem blur, or assist agro. That same bit is listed on the spell information for all the mezes.

Quote:
http://web.archive.org/web/200105050...sp?SpellID=115
Now, if I Entrance/Enthrall/Mesmerize a mob and leave, it *NEVER* comes after me
http://web.archive.org/web/200405282...et/spells4.htm

The runes said "wipe hate list", not % chance. That's a bit vague, but no where have I found evidence of mez being unable to wipe the hate list.

The blur is a no-fail situation, and I'm kinda surprised someone could have played an enchanter and not notice that. The only limitation that I've ever been able to verify is that a refreshed mez will not blur, but alternating mezes, i.e. using enthrall to overwrite a mesmerize, will properly blur.

In response to tests showing 100% blur rate from '04:
Quote:
http://www.therunes.net/forums/viewt...hp?f=15&t=5300

Guard E'Brona is level 15. If I recall correctly, before level 35, monsters are highly, if not completely, susceptible to memory blur. After 35, memory blur doesn't work that reliably.
Last edited by Dersk; 06-14-2010 at 06:54 PM..
Old 06-15-2010, 10:08 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dersk [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The blur is a no-fail situation, and I'm kinda surprised someone could have played an enchanter and not notice that.
Memblur was definitely NOT a no-fail situation in classic. I definitely remember times when I needed to recast it (General Bragmur for the 8th shawl comes to mind) when the first blur didn't wipe.

Your quote above from therunes even says "After 35, memory blur doesn't work that reliably. "

If I had to guess, I would say it worked about 90% of the time (post 35 anyway - never really played with it before that).

Mez could and did wipe the hate list as well (in Classic). In fact, I recall that it *very often* wiped the hate list in Classic, but not as reliably as Memblur.
Old 06-15-2010, 10:17 AM
Planar Protector

I can only remember as far back is PoP era for memblurs because I didn't have too much use for it before then... unless I was soloing and got in a bad situation far from zone.

Anyway, at level 50 I usually spell Reoccurring Amnesia because it's the most likely to not get resisted by a tashed planar mob.

But as you can see by what it does, the odds aren't exactly awesome on it working:

Slot Description
1: Memblur (25%)
Lasts for 4 tics.

In tabletop terms, you get a 4-sided die to roll 4 times and are trying to score a 4 once out of those 4 times.
Old 06-15-2010, 12:41 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malrubius [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Memblur was definitely NOT a no-fail situation in classic. I definitely remember times when I needed to recast it (General Bragmur for the 8th shawl comes to mind) when the first blur didn't wipe.
General Bragmur is level 40, which is relevantly higher than 35. My original post, the posts I have quoted, and the current workings on EQlive apply to mobs under level 35, though I'll admit the older castersrealm info doesn't appear to know enough to clarify that distinction. I know that the memory blur effects of mezzes are not 100% reliable above level 35. I avoided listing it every single time because I really didn't want to be too repetitive hah.

As far as the memory blur spell, I have never tested it on EQlive nor have I accessed it on P1999, so I can't really comment one way or the other. I was attempting to describe the memory blur effect of mesmerize spells. I do apologize if that got confusing.

If what I've given isn't appropriate for verifying the specific mechanics I'm describing, then simply let me know what would be considered sufficient proof, so I know what to look for. Hell, if I have to go to WeGame and record a video of me mezzing level 1 mobs on EQlive then I'll consider it.
Last edited by Dersk; 06-15-2010 at 12:44 PM..
Old 06-15-2010, 01:35 PM
Planar Protector

I don't think it has anything to do with the level of the mob:

Memory Blur
Slot Description
1: Memblur (10%)

They are nowhere near 100% reliable. Each cast is exactly 10% reliable, but this goes for any mob that you can successfully cast it on, regardless of level.

Mind Wipe
Slot Description
1: Memblur (15%)

Blanket of Forgetfulness
Slot Description
1: Memblur (20%)
2: Memblur (20%)

Reoccurring Amnesia
Slot Description
1: Memblur (25%)
4 tics
Last edited by guineapig; 06-15-2010 at 01:42 PM..
Closed Thread