Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 09-25-2015, 05:49 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Default Just like I remember, aka: AKA was I thinking?

Last time I logged in was about a month after Velious launched but had the MMO bug for a while but everything out there just doesn't feel right. Rediscovered this from finding it a while ago, and realized I was judging everything by EQ. Only played a Magician then but enjoyed it since I was mainly a solo/PUG player.

Sad to say I already have a case of altitus though. Thinking of maining a Druid (been playing it today) since its gives a little bit of everything and appears decent solo; but also looking at a Paladin since a Tank is very different than what i usually play. (Bard or Enchanter is intruguing though) Since i've never played these before am I signing myself up for a death march here with any of these?

Going to give this a try, though my play time is more limited this time around, what with a career and kids. But its the journey (ie corpse run) not the power leveling right? :-D
Old 09-25-2015, 06:24 PM
Sarnak

The journey is what it's all about!
Old 09-25-2015, 09:44 PM
Planar Protector

Well since you can have 8 characters per account, and endless, free accounts, I would say you can try every class, race combo. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.][You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Not many people just start one class and end up only playing it to level 60. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Took me about a year to decide to end up getting off my Butt and leveling just one class to 60. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] I have 24 altogether. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 09-25-2015, 09:58 PM
Fire Giant

On this journey, you will meet many cool and normal people.
Old 09-26-2015, 01:04 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by B4EQWASCOOL [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
On this journey, you will meet many cool and normal people.
in P1999 "cool" people are the norm.
Old 09-26-2015, 02:03 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by webrunner5 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Well since you can have 8 characters per account, and endless, free accounts, I would say you can try every class, race combo.
Oh god... just thinking about how long that would take boggles the mind...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlievox [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
in P1999 "cool" people are the norm.
Something to do with playing a 15 year old game known for its abusive nature I'm sure weeds out some of the undesirables. You do have to want to be here.
Old 09-26-2015, 08:35 PM
Developer

Druid is a great starting class for platinum (porting/PLing). You can solo by root-rotting, charming, or quad-kiting. All have their pros and cons. I always like a class with SoW. (You may want to go anonymous at later levels or roleplay to stop the tells for ports and sows.)
I would roll an Enchanter for decent soloing and to experience an intense and fun group role that includes crowd control, slowing, hasting, and Clarity refreshes. Not having your own SoW isn't so bad because many players will trade SoW for Clarity! Soloing is doable, but you're most powerful with at least one partner. Charming is great fun with a snare and fear class.
Old 09-27-2015, 12:27 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Thanks for the responses guys, looks like my other reply got held up or not approved, no matter. Point being so far the community seems much better than EQ of old, im sure it has something to do with the kind of people who play a 15 year old game and eschew some of the 'progress' of expansions.

I never thought of an enchanter as a solo class but I can see exactly why it would be. might give that a shot too :-D

I hope i can have enough consistent play time to get some grouping going and get to know people. That's what would get me through those 'dead levels' where i was getting too high for one zone, but not high enough for the next.

One day "train to Zone" will ring out once more...
Old 10-02-2015, 11:20 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixxian [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I never thought of an enchanter as a solo class but I can see exactly why it would be. might give that a shot too :-D
i would say they are the most powerful, or atleast second, for soloing. the charm is so OP its ridiculous, but that power comes with the cost of being difficult and dangerous... once you get good at it though its a ton of fun and very efficient. i think duoing with a cleric can be the quickest duo exp you can possibly get. a weaponed/hasted pet will absolutely shred. i love enchanters because you excel at both grouping and soloing and both CC'ing and charming are very fun playstyles.

all classes cna be fun and usefull though. just try out whatever you feel like and if you dont like it you can just switch. eq is one of those games where i dont think it matters how many alts you try and give up, because the end goal isnt really important so you can take your time.
Last edited by kined; 10-02-2015 at 11:22 AM..
Old 10-02-2015, 03:20 PM
Decaying Skeleton

played a Cleric and paladin back in the 00s....tried an erud wizard yesterday...just wasn't into the kill a snake, sit a minute for mana, try killing a kobold..loading, please wait.....Tried a SK troll this morning, Paguk.
...Going back to my Dwarf paladin, Shortz. though
Closed Thread