Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 04:39 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhambuk [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
-5 yesterday, 15 today, 30 tomorrow, and 47 Monday with rain is the forecast.

That's an insane difference for 4 days.
High today in central PA was 40. High tomorrow is suppose to be 8..... Sadly my parents are moving from NC to Colorado in a few months so this my last winter to run and visit them for half decent weather.
Old 01-06-2014, 05:37 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhambuk [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
stupid facebook.

Video of a guy going outside opening a bottle of water and it freezes top to bottom in about, 3 seconds. From clear water to a block of white ice. was a cool watch.
im not exactly sure why/how but i have done this before.. Pulled a waterbottle out of the freezer and it was still liquid and set it down and it literally started to freeze in front of me..

(I live in arizona.. its like 70degrees)

Lich (56+ Heretic)
Zelda (45 Shaman)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derubael View Post
silence, 'hardcore scum'
Old 01-06-2014, 05:50 PM
Planar Protector

Well, its -15F here with wind chills pushing -50F when the wind gusts, and its all about covering up. Winter coats, ski hats, mittens or gloves, and a scarf, facemask, or your coat collars pulled up high around your face. If you are going to be outside more than a minute or two you end up dressed like Khan on Ceti Alpha V.

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 01-06-2014, 06:14 PM
Banned

It's a little chilly here at 60 degrees w intermittent clouds in central cali along the coast
Old 01-06-2014, 11:05 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitebandit [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
im not exactly sure why/how but i have done this before.. Pulled a waterbottle out of the freezer and it was still liquid and set it down and it literally started to freeze in front of me..

(I live in arizona.. its like 70degrees)
yeah no clue why, but its awesome to watch.

Oh yea .... Piss Off.

H
Old 01-07-2014, 12:58 AM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizen1080 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It was a balmy 35 degrees in Spokane,wa today.

Never understood why anyone would choose to in the NE. Worse winters than we have...and no mountains to enjoy all that winter. lose/lose
Interesting.. I was wondering what these things are
http://imgur.com/qq3Fj1w
http://imgur.com/FYCDqMl
http://imgur.com/W5rJVT8
http://imgur.com/OsMP0dm

http://www.trinity.edu/rjensen/tidbi...bits090509.htm

I'm glad we got an expert in the thread to confirm that they are in fact not mountains though. I'm sure he has a good view of McKinley from his back porch!

P.S. Snow and winter rock.
Old 01-07-2014, 01:34 AM
Planar Protector

Very pretty. I guess I should have specified the East in general as apparently I picked on the one place with a few mountains =)

Regardless, you are going to lose in an argument saying the eastern side of the states has bigger mountains and better riding than the west. That was my point.

Nice shot of McKinley

Hele-skiing Alaska is on my to do list in the next 5 years.
Old 01-07-2014, 12:53 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
haha I don't have a parking break so I use a piece of firewood thrown under my tire, perfectly normal in maine btw, well the other night my friends dog carried my log away! thankfully it didn't roll but I couldn't find the thing in the dark and it was -15 so I figured ill use my spare tired.

There was at 11p stomping and kicking my trunk to break the ice off to open it lol.

a hammer is a great idea!

area? if I may ask?
Stockton Springs / Belfast area

The coast got hit by that last ice storm really bad. few inches of ice covering everything. Lots of trees down and a lot of damage. Whats left of a historic tree in my front yard needs to come down now in the spring before it falls into the road.

Can't say I've seen anything as bad since the ice storm of 98. (the one in 98 was in a class of its own)
Last edited by -Catherin-; 01-07-2014 at 01:01 PM..
Old 01-07-2014, 01:14 PM
Planar Protector

98 was...a total force of nature.

I was lucky up here, got to about 48degrees with minimal rain in my town but just north there were flood warnings.
back down to 12 today but thankfully there isn't a layer of ice like that again.

Be careful! I feel for your tree =/

Oh yea .... Piss Off.

H
Old 01-07-2014, 01:31 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizen1080 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Very pretty. I guess I should have specified the East in general as apparently I picked on the one place with a few mountains =)

Regardless, you are going to lose in an argument saying the eastern side of the states has bigger mountains and better riding than the west. That was my point.

Nice shot of McKinley

Hele-skiing Alaska is on my to do list in the next 5 years.
I didn't think that was the argument anyone was having. The argument was that we have "no mountains to enjoy all that winter". That's very much false, skiing is huge in parts of NH/VT and even maine on the Green/white mountains.

I didn't provide a picture of McKinley btw, those are all of Washington/the presidential range in NH.

An interesting side conversation is discussing how "big" mountains are. Of course the mountains on the east have a typically lower elevation than those of the rockies due to the east being closer to sea level (also a fascinating topic if you're ever interested in figuring out exactly how that is determined) however Mt. Washington's Prominance is still the 59th highest in the US, and sans Hawaii/Alaska it is the 25th most prominent: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._United_States

That said, on a global scale McKinley is the only one that is really significant: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._by_prominence

Hurray for both winter and mountains, a few of my favorite things!

Edit: Added US Prominance ranking for only the continental US because I got curious and thought you may be too [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Last edited by dav; 01-07-2014 at 01:37 PM..
Closed Thread