Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 01:41 PM
Orc

Default First character thoughts - rogue

My main on live way back when was a rogue on Ayonae Ro so after much thought I made another. I enjoy rogues quite a bit but I'm starting to wonder if it is a poor choice. Soloing seems more difficult than I remember with out buffs and since I play a lot early morning not much grouping is happening.. I'm wondering if I should switch to a more solo friendly class? Or ride It out as a rogue. Essentially I would like to join a raiding guild once I'm high enough, but I see tons of unguided rogues with epics and it makes me a little worried

Update: monks name is koops if your looking to group in game [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Last edited by Ceelow; 01-19-2014 at 07:45 PM..
Old 01-17-2014, 01:47 PM
Planar Protector

I'd consider making another character but not necessarily saying "this is my main now." If you hop on your rogue and you get a group or find a necro who wants to kite with you or whatever, cool. If not, sit /lfg as long as you care to then play your other guy!

Actually that IS exactly what I did personally, when I was leveling a rogue like... well it was 1.5 years ago now. Even as a big-time twink, it sucks trying to level such a group-reliant class in the AM hours.
Old 01-17-2014, 01:52 PM
Planar Protector

You could sit lfg on your rogue and play another game in the background. play on Red99 or whatever.
Old 01-17-2014, 01:57 PM
Aviak

I was pn ayonae ro myself! Greetings

Personally i played a wizzie way back this time i started a ranger then decided to play a druid to get cash etc.

I flitter between both now rogues can solo ish with the backstab trick i believe but its unreliable (again for what ive been told)

I would say try a few classes if you really wanna go rogue go for it. In the main core zones i have always found a group and im european
Old 01-17-2014, 02:00 PM
Kobold

Hi Ceelow,

First - welcome to the server! Its always great to meet folks that have rediscovered classic EQ on P99.

Secondly, there are basically 2 lines of thought:
1) Play what you like. If rogue is what you love, and you just don't get the same enjoyment from other classes, you should keep playing your rogue. Eventually gear will fill in those gaps and you can experience the fun of discovering upgrades as you level. The rogue MQ is so readily available and reasonably affordable for those with high level "mains", that your right - there are a lot of epic rogues roaming Norrath. That being said, most people aren't NOT going to invite you to a group or a guild because your not epic, so don't let a possibility/reservation like that keep you from enjoying your character.

2) There is no denying that rogues, like warriors and several other classes, are quite a bit harder to start with on P99. These classes are typically more gear dependent, more group dependent, and with classic mechanics, 1v1 combat is going to beat you up and require a lot of downtime. All this to say that if there is a solo class that you enjoy (necro, mage, enchanter, druid, shaman among others), you could use them to generate the funds to make life easier on your baby rogue.

There are a lot of folks here on the forums that have been through what your going through now, and they can probably provide some valuable insight!

Also, consider connecting with other players on the forums that play at the same time you do.

Best of luck!
Old 01-17-2014, 02:24 PM
Fire Giant

I will echo what Tecmos said, don't give up on the rogue, but I would make a secondary character who is better able to solo when you just can't get anything going on the rogue. A mage or necro would let you have a secondary character who not only can solo, but can pop between cash camps as it levels to help gear the rogue out since the casters won't need much gear at all. The bandit/Nybright camps in gfay/lfay, gargoyle island in OOT. If you stick to the right camps you could have a couple thousand plat to spend on your rogue by the time your caster alt is in their 20's.

Now, my suggestion for actually playing the rogue that you want to play, is this - don't always just be looking for actual groups. Try to find people duoing and see if you can join them. Try to find soloing necros (and to a lesser extent SKs.) Necro/rogue fear kiting is very effective, you can BS away and the necro doesn't have to try to out damage their pet for full XP so they can mainly focus on keeping the mob snared/feared to minimize downtime.
Old 01-17-2014, 03:21 PM
Large Rat

Greetings.

My advice is if you want to play rogue then go for it but i would suggest making a char to farm to gear up rogue.

I have similar problems as some above i play strange hours with low population i made a monk and i get groups if i aim for the kurns unrest oasis.

I have a necro for farming purposes

lenenu singingsongs 70 bard The Tribunal Server (retired)
Malik Superlizard 50 Monk The Tribunal Server (retired)
Old 01-17-2014, 03:30 PM
Aviak

I'm glad people are giving sound advice. Stick to your rogue if that is what you love. You will find a guild that will want both you and your class. Rogues are monsters in vel anyhow and you will be highly sought after if you are a normal player presence.

Now it doesn't hurt to have a decent farming alt as well.
Old 01-17-2014, 05:10 PM
Planar Protector

Echoing the above - keep the rogue, maybe have another character for when you can't find a group. Soloing a rogue is indeed not a good idea unless you're very twinked. You shouldn't feel bad if other rogues have epics, though; the vast majority of groups will take a rogue regardless of gear.

If you want to find groups in general, it really helps to be proactive and know what to look for. For instance, you can look for standard dungeon groups (do a /who all crushbone or /who all unrest or whatever zone you're interested in and send tells, or go to the zone, walk around, see where people are grouping and ask if they want more), and/or form your own using /who all lfg or /who all cleric 5 15 (or whatever level range and class). You shouldn't be afraid to travel; lots of druids and wizards are happy to port a newbie for free if you ask nicely and explain that you can't pay them because you just started out.

Also seek out duos. As mentioned above, necros make great duos with rogues. Another good class is a druid, since they can snare the monster and hold aggro with flame lick while you backstab away and/or their charmed pet does damage. Rangers can do the same while using a bow. Shadowknights also work, just like necros.
Need a port or a rez? Hit me up on IRC!
Old 01-17-2014, 05:14 PM
Orc

Going to stick it out with my rogue, his name is Nign !
Closed Thread