Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 09:32 PM
Large Bat

Default Looking To Start A New Character Here...

Hi folks. Let me first start off by saying I've been a member of the Emu community for the past five years. I preferred soloing on solo servers for most of that time because, honestly, I just didn't have the time to for grouping, nor waste a groups time if I had to leave on a whim.

Well, times have changed, and I'm looking to come re-live some of the nostalgia of grouping and raiding with an actual raid force like I used to do on the old Sleeper / Combine server, and not some duo or trio I created.

That all being said, I've read the good, the bad, and the ugly on wizards, which sucks because it was my favorite characters (Lvl'd one on the Sleeper / Combine server and was one of the top 20 on the server). I also like playing monks, and never played a rogue before but have always wanted to try one.

Sorry for the long read, but my question is: what classes are most needed on the server or for any casual raiding guilds out there? Just want some kind of idea of what to start leveling before I find out that the class is basically a group or raid pariah...
Old 07-28-2014, 09:39 PM
Sarnak

Almost anything is in demand I would say, excluding Paladin/Ranger. Just play whatever you enjoy.
Old 07-28-2014, 09:49 PM
Planar Protector

Yeah, play what you want to play and you'll be able to find company to play with (ranger will be harder; paladins are not so bad IMO).
Need a port or a rez? Hit me up on IRC!
Old 07-29-2014, 12:12 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Play whatever you want. Melee classes will be more difficult in the beginning but it gets better with levels. Enjoy!
Old 07-29-2014, 05:18 AM
Planar Protector

Ranger = Hard Mode.
This is p99 after all, all the crying about things needing to be harder than on modern live etc. the good ol days etc etc. But oh, don't touch ranger, it's haaard hehe [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

"casual raiding guilds" vs. "what classes are most needed"
imo conflicts. Either roll what you want or roll what is desired for raiding. If you say casually, that's casual, and you bring what you want, because... it's casual. Otherwise min/max until your mouse breaks.
Old 07-29-2014, 01:14 PM
Large Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daywolf [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Ranger = Hard Mode.
This is p99 after all, all the crying about things needing to be harder than on modern live etc. the good ol days etc etc. But oh, don't touch ranger, it's haaard hehe [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

"casual raiding guilds" vs. "what classes are most needed"
imo conflicts. Either roll what you want or roll what is desired for raiding. If you say casually, that's casual, and you bring what you want, because... it's casual. Otherwise min/max until your mouse breaks.
maybe casual was the wrong word. we were semi-pro(?) We basically raided 3-4 days a week (Secretum Dominium). Looking for something similar to this.

And my point about what is needed in said guilds still stands. Could I play a cleric or chanter? Sure, but I can be pretty damn sure I wouldn't be the best at either. Wizard, monk, or SK / Pally? pretty good at those types of characters. Never really played a rogue high-end before, so leaning toward either that or a monk or *gasp* a wizard...
Old 07-29-2014, 07:57 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by friznapbaby [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Wizard, monk, or SK / Pally? pretty good at those types of characters. Never really played a rogue high-end before, so leaning toward either that or a monk or *gasp* a wizard...
http://wiki.project1999.com/Project1999:About

monk vs wiz, probably more personal choice, but I'd roll a wiz between the two, myself. Anyway then, not really being casual, you probably need to find a raiding guild to join and find out what they may need if that is your preference. If you are starting out on the server, you can always start with an easy alt class (e.g nekid drui) to start gathering a little leveling gear for a main roll while you research raiding guilds.
Old 07-30-2014, 12:44 PM
Large Bat

Taking your advice Daywolf and gonna roll the wizard. I had my hesitations after reading all of the various articles regarding the wizards vs. rogues, but I KNOW wizards, I don't really know rogues, and not comfortable FD pulling for raids...im better at BLOWING SHIT UP!

thanks for the help everyone! I'll see ya around on Azlinon!
Old 07-30-2014, 12:49 PM
Kobold

Just keep in mind wizards can be a lonely class on this server. They spend most of their time soloing since they can't contribute much sustained DPS to groups like a rogue/monk and really have no utility.

General consensus is only play a wizard here if you really really really want one.
Old 07-30-2014, 01:59 PM
Large Bat

Not too worried about it...always loved the thrill of quad kiting...it seems there's an influx of rogues and monks but not so many wizards, so figured I'd throw my name in the mix of top wizards...
Closed Thread