Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 05:30 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrion [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Hmm... let's see.
1) Good solo ability. That maybe true at higher levels, earlier soloing sucks.
2) Ports. Right, you have a point.
3) Good in groups. What game are you playing? Wizard is probably the least wanted class in any group.
4) Great on raids. Well... yes, but far from the best.

Point 3 is the biggest problem of the class, not one of its assets.
I guess by "good" I mean middle of the road in groups. It's has to be easier getting a group on a wiz than on a necro/dru/pal/ranger. I imagine they would be very strong in ench + bard groups. Plus there's chardok aoe to consider...

I'd argue that they are actually the best dps class on raids in Kunark. Rogues have certain advantages, but the hardest mobs in the game right now are Gorenaire and Hoshkar, both of which have slow aoes. A proper raid isn't likely to wipe on most other mobs. The debuffs can be cured rather easily, but I'd still prefer wizards over any other dps class. I think wizards beat rogues dps-wise on 32k mobs anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man0warr [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Enchanters and Shamans have 3 of the 4.
Unless by "great on raids" means they stack well with others of their class.
Yea, I do mean that. I mean, you can prebuff with both of those classes and just play another toon for the actual fight. You can never have too many wizards.
Last edited by Hitpoint; 11-06-2014 at 05:37 PM..
Old 11-06-2014, 06:57 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estu [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
PoP killed the big world and community feeling with those dumb PoK books and the dumb PoK zone having everything you needed in one place.
Thanks, every single orc hill group I've been in on this server. What's your opinion on WoW?
Old 11-06-2014, 07:02 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tongpow [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
[Fri Feb 21 18:22:07 2014] Trakanon was hit by non-melee for 825 points of damage.
[Fri Feb 21 18:22:15 2014] Trakanon was hit by non-melee for 825 points of damage.
[Fri Feb 21 18:22:23 2014] Trakanon was hit by non-melee for 825 points of damage.
[Fri Feb 21 18:22:31 2014] Trakanon was hit by non-melee for 825 points of damage.
[Fri Feb 21 18:22:31 2014] Trakanon hits YOU for 17 points of damage.
[Fri Feb 21 18:22:31 2014] Trakanon hits YOU for 345 points of damage.
[Fri Feb 21 18:22:31 2014] Trakanon bashes YOU for 148 points of damage.
[Fri Feb 21 18:22:33 2014] Trakanon hits YOU for 620 points of damage.
[Fri Feb 21 18:22:33 2014] Trakanon hits YOU for 345 points of damage.
[Fri Feb 21 18:22:38 2014] You regain your concentration and continue your casting.
[Fri Feb 21 18:22:38 2014] Trakanon was hit by non-melee for 825 points of damage.
[Fri Feb 21 18:22:39 2014] Trakanon hits YOU for 620 points of damage.
[Fri Feb 21 18:22:39 2014] Trakanon hits YOU for 170 points of damage.
[Fri Feb 21 18:22:40 2014] Trakanon hits YOU for 370 points of damage.
[Fri Feb 21 18:22:41 2014] Trakanon hits YOU for 195 points of damage.
[Fri Feb 21 18:22:41 2014] You are stunned!
[Fri Feb 21 18:22:41 2014] Trakanon bashes YOU for 155 points of damage.
[Fri Feb 21 18:22:48 2014] Trakanon was hit by non-melee for 825 points of damage.
[Fri Feb 21 18:22:48 2014] You have slain Trakanon!
[Fri Feb 21 18:22:49 2014] You gain party experience!!

not me, but yeah wizards p gud much fun
uber
Old 11-06-2014, 09:08 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velerin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Wizard was my main on live and was good times, fun for maximizing dps on raid bosses, etc. But in this era in a typical grind group of tank and spank, you are a burden and any other class will probably outdps you over time as well as do other things/buff.
I haven't had anyone confirm here but concussion is actually a great spell. On live, since the way the code worked on spells ( a resisted spell = same agro as a hit spell) a resisted concussion still lowered agro. I was usually always top dps on raid mobs as my wizard (nuke, clicky, nuke, clicky, concussion, etc etc.

On that note if anyone with a wiz could test this it would be awesome to find out for sure:

Need 1 mob with high MR but doesn't hit too crazy hard. Have tank pull it (but not do anything else) so he has agro. Cast flux staff slowly just until you pull agro. Then cast resisted concussion and if mob turns back to tank it does work on resist.

Any ideas on what mob will work for this? Black Dire? anything else that will resist but doesn't hit hard?
It works. I tested this on live.
Old 11-06-2014, 09:16 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belleraphone [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
see title. I was attracted to their high burst damage but after browsing the forum it seems people think pretty lowly of wizards. Could some of the more experienced players offer some clarification on this? Should I reroll? I'm fine with being useless for my low and middle levels, but I'd at least like to be useful at the higher end/raid type stuff. Seems like the general consensus here is that even when wizards are useful, someone else can do it better.
A wizard is a painful class to play from 1-59. Make friends, lots of friends so they can get you in groups which minimize the pain very significantly.

A wizard's life start at 60 in a raiding guild. You will be wanted/welcomed with open arms.

The key thing to playing a wizard in a raid is doing insane amounts of damage yet do not overtaunt. If this is your first time playing EQ, this can only be achieved if you properly play your class and learn your spells. Veteran EQ wizards from live probably experienced all this hard work previously so they can afford to take the easy route here.

As for other roles where some wizards like to do (eg pulling in a raid) are all additional dimensions to the class but the above still IS the most important aspect of a wizard

All the above is written in assumption you learn and play your class.
Old 11-06-2014, 09:20 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estu [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Do you guys have evidence for this? I've heard that it doesn't work when resisted. It's easy to confuse these two situations: 1) you not causing additional aggro by wasting a few seconds casting Concussion and having it resisted, so when you nuke afterwards and don't pull aggro it seems like Concussion worked, and 2) Concussion actually working on a resist. Has anyone tested it on this server as mentioned above?
Works. Try it on emperor chottal. As for trying on raid mobs it can be quite "difficult" currently as most raid mobs fall very fast before you can pull off the test. Velious will bring you the mobs to test as they have alot more HP.
Old 11-06-2014, 10:10 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decad [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Works. Try it on emperor chottal. As for trying on raid mobs it can be quite "difficult" currently as most raid mobs fall very fast before you can pull off the test. Velious will bring you the mobs to test as they have alot more HP.
Update: I just tested Concussion with a cliff golem. I pulled it with staff of temperate flux, had a buddy shoot it with an arrow so it was still chasing me but he had some aggro. I cast Concussion. Golem resisted but went after buddy anyway. So I guess it does work on resists! Learn something new every day.
Need a port or a rez? Hit me up on IRC!
Old 11-06-2014, 10:29 PM
Sarnak

Wizards are amazing if you want to do end game raid content. I mean amazing I will be leveling one mysef

Team Tripod

I'd rather be fishing
Old 11-06-2014, 10:48 PM
Banned

60 shaman wizard warrior, is gonna be a nice lookn sig!
Old 11-07-2014, 03:34 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitpoint [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I guess by "good" I mean middle of the road in groups. It's has to be easier getting a group on a wiz than on a necro/dru/pal/ranger. I imagine they would be very strong in ench + bard groups. Plus there's chardok aoe to consider...
If a wizard in a group is preferable to necro or ranger is debatable. Paladin is a tank and therefore one of the core classes of any group. Why anybody would prefer a wizard to a druid in a group is beyond me. Wizard has maybe 10% more DD DPS while druid makes up for it giving the tank a damage shield. Druid has ports as well, can heal, sow, buff, snare (with much less mana than a wiz)... Î agree that druid is not one of the most wanted in a group, but he outshines a wizard by a mile.
Closed Thread