Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 01-14-2015, 11:19 AM
Banned

http://www.takproject.net/forums/vie...php?f=2&t=2017

AFAIK those are the only items given out
Old 01-14-2015, 11:27 AM
Developer

I run on a pc, and run the eqgame.exe patchme. Staying away from eqw, running full screen, has been more stable for me. I am level 5 now, boxing sk, shm, mag. I may only get an hour or two a week to play though. I have a few coding thing for p99 that I am tackling this week, so seriously cramping my game time.

I was able to download some UI components from 2003 on EQInterface that I used to use and most worked. Those helped a lot. I will try to post components I had success with.

H
Old 01-14-2015, 11:43 AM
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by apio [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
http://www.takproject.net/forums/vie...php?f=2&t=2017

AFAIK those are the only items given out
I have played the help for in game rewards before. Did that over on Dalaya. Then they totally nerfed my rewar later. I dont help there anymore. Their loss. I have no plans to help on tak. I dont get along very well with others sometimes. And dev by comittee is not for me.

H
Old 01-14-2015, 12:51 PM
VIP / Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haynar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
They need to put ACK on spell bar enable opcodes for casting. If you have any dropped packets, its brutal without that.
H
Ack flags are set on the spell bar enable packet. Maybe we're handling acks wrong? Not sure.

“Knowing yourself is the beginning of all wisdom.” — Aristotle
Old 01-14-2015, 01:11 PM
Fire Giant

Been sporadically messing around on this server

Seems decent

My one complaint would be not being able to scroll out in first person view. Is there a way to make this possible on pc client? Game would be like 100x more awesome
Old 01-14-2015, 01:17 PM
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secrets [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Ack flags are set on the spell bar enable packet. Maybe we're handling acks wrong? Not sure.
Not sure. I pulled out my old netcode to see how it worked. Almost puked. And quit looking at. Will take another glance. I did a lot of trial and error on a few things. I found less ack's were way better than more.

H
Old 01-14-2015, 01:26 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleepo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Half of the staff has never played EQ in the era that server will be in (PoP) - So they have no clue about game mechanics, and you need a legal team to get stuff patched to where it is supposed to be.
I'm not in Destiny and never will be, but Destiny certainly did PoP content.

I was MT of a top 10 guild in PoP on PC EQ circa 2003 before I played on Al'Kabor, and I'm painstaking parsing each and every raid boss (and lots of trash) for mob statistics.

If there are broken mechanics, feel free to list them. There are however inaccurate mechanics we are aware of and we just simply haven't gotten to them yet because this is a lot of work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleepo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Half of the codebase is from a server called PEQ, notorious for having a terrible DB full of junk. Anyone who has ever played there will know what I am talking about.
And I suppose P99, the gold standard of emus, started from scratch? TAKP is heavily modified and every single NPC in the database has had stats adjusted.

Quote:
The leader of the project and several other GMs on the box are all playing in the same guild, a guild which was a huge fan of the rotation in place on AK. No doubt there will be a forced rotation, if a guild should ever emerge to dominate the content. You can rest assured that <Destiny>, the guild that has 2 devs and 2 more GMs in it, will not be denied their pixels in the long run. The staff has said that much on forum posts ("guilds WILL play nice")
This is really up in the air, actually. But I can say that the server will not end up like p99's first few years with the hardcore poopsocking and javelin throwing. One thing people should understand is that AK's community was very unlike P99's and tended to not care about cutthroat progression at the expense of others. A lot of people over there would want rotations. Lots of servers 15 years ago had rotations. Mine did. It's certainly 'classic'. How much the staff gets involved (and I don't claim to speak for all of them) is entirely undecided. Personally I'd rather we stay out of inter-guild politics as much as possible while still ensuring a certain level of order.

If cutthroat competition is what you want though, p99 can accommodate you. (no criticism intended-- 'PvE PvP' is certainly a valid playstyle many enjoy)

Quote:
The staff has a half arsed nature when it comes to following their own idea of what the server should be. Certain bugs, like stripping all buffs and debuffs when zoning with low HP, have been painstakingly recreated by the dev team. Other bugs, they removed without so much as an informative post. Half of the stuff gets voted on by the community, but they have stated numerous times that your opinion does not matter, and in the end the staff will have final say in what's happening, and will go against the will of the community if they "have to"
I'm sorry you're mad that pet pulling will likely not be going in.

We simply changed our minds on it after seeing it abused so much so early. I never liked it but I didn't really protest until I saw how it was being used for just about every high end encounter.

From day one it was claimed that there would be bug fixes. Some will be kept, some won't. I'm sorry if you had your heart set on a server with EZ-mode Xegony and IVA click spam.

I do not like the losing buffs on zoning thing either. Devs can disagree with each other and we can change our minds. Don't be surprised to see that gone one day.

Quote:
The server has a 3 box limit, but due to nature of their account tool, you are only allowed to have 3 accounts. Which means that if you choose to play more than 3 characters, they will have to share the account with another of your characters.
Fair criticism. I was not involved with this. There was talk of implementing a character mover feature.

Quote:
The netcode is horrendous, half of the people have to play over a VPN to not get disconnected everytime they cast, which basically teaches people from day 1 how to circumvent the 3 box limit, because they are being educated in how to connect via VPN to change their IP.
Al'Kabor doesn't exist anymore to test on or packet sniff. Reverse engineering something that doesn't exist anymore is difficult. But yes, connection issues are a problem.

Quote:
Some people are getting preferencial treatment. I have seen people run around with Stones of Gnoming, Guises and Rubicite armor, when the normal population has no access to these items. Another thing worth mentioning is, that there will be no mana stones, guises or any other items that were nerfed or removed pre PoP era.
I wish Speedz's post on this was a little more thorough...

ONE person got a rubi BP and a guise because he was our most dedicated tester and donated hardware. The rest of the the rewards for testers were some gnome illusion item and a guide pack. (which around 10 people got) Also some titles.

Quote:
The server has a kind of a split personality. On one hand it wants to be a PoP Era server, in other cases it chooses to be a progression server. Out of Era stuff (PoP era stuff) is being activated and deactivated on a case to case basis.
Some devs wanted certain things, others didn't. We're not run by a dictator with a 'vision'. Some things win, some don't. I didn't like PoK being open before PoP at all, but some people wanted it; nor did I want beastlords or iksar at launch. But to some, it's more enjoyable this way. It's a matter of taste. Emus can do these kinds of things.

Quote:
due to the open source nature of the project, at least it wont all be lost, like in the case of EQClassic or EpicEmu.
By all means, fork it. I give my data to the world.

Not all of the devs are involved with running the server and just want to make a freely available open source server anybody can run.
Old 01-14-2015, 01:51 PM
Developer

I uses to totally trivialize pulling VT with pet pulling. I single pulled everything, faster than the raid could kill what was brought in sometimes. I love pet pulling. I did not vote on the preference of whether to keep it on tak. Two good monks can do amazing pulls too. So the issue is mute.

H
Old 01-14-2015, 02:08 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Some things you should know about this server

Half of the staff has never played EQ in the era that server will be in (PoP) - So they have no clue about game mechanics, and you need a legal team to get stuff patched to where it is supposed to be.

Half of the codebase is from a server called PEQ, notorious for having a terrible DB full of junk. Anyone who has ever played there will know what I am talking about.

The leader of the project and several other GMs on the box are all playing in the same guild, a guild which was a huge fan of the rotation in place on AK. No doubt there will be a forced rotation, if a guild should ever emerge to dominate the content. You can rest assured that <Destiny>, the guild that has 2 devs and 2 more GMs in it, will not be denied their pixels in the long run. The staff has said that much on forum posts ("guilds WILL play nice")

The flakey nature of the staff is another big issue. Numerous times they have gone back and forth on decisions, deleted and censored forum posts with discussions headed in the "wrong" way. They have issued punishments only to take them back a few minutes or hours later.

They used to have a public shaming subforum, which was subsequently shut down because it was showing their back and forth attitude in decision making

The staff has a half arsed nature when it comes to following their own idea of what the server should be. Certain bugs, like stripping all buffs and debuffs when zoning with low HP, have been painstakingly recreated by the dev team. Other bugs, they removed without so much as an informative post. Half of the stuff gets voted on by the community, but they have stated numerous times that your opinion does not matter, and in the end the staff will have final say in what's happening, and will go against the will of the community if they "have to"

The server has a 3 box limit, but due to nature of their account tool, you are only allowed to have 3 accounts. Which means that if you choose to play more than 3 characters, they will have to share the account with another of your characters.

The netcode is horrendous, half of the people have to play over a VPN to not get disconnected everytime they cast, which basically teaches people from day 1 how to circumvent the 3 box limit, because they are being educated in how to connect via VPN to change their IP.

Some people are getting preferencial treatment. I have seen people run around with Stones of Gnoming, Guises and Rubicite armor, when the normal population has no access to these items. Another thing worth mentioning is, that there will be no mana stones, guises or any other items that were nerfed or removed pre PoP era.

The server has a kind of a split personality. On one hand it wants to be a PoP Era server, in other cases it chooses to be a progression server. Out of Era stuff (PoP era stuff) is being activated and deactivated on a case to case basis.

The bottom line is. The people in charge are mostly bipolar, and have a real problem with making rules and following them. The only upside to the project is that once Speedz goes insane (and believe me, this is bound to happen sooner or later), due to the open source nature of the project, at least it wont all be lost, like in the case of EQClassic or EpicEmu.
you sound like you're one of the guys that got to level 50 in the first week, and then you got burnt out and started bitching at the GMs.
Old 01-14-2015, 02:15 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:

(then)

Problem and solution in the same post <3
Closed Thread