Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 02-09-2015, 06:32 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahldagor [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Gaming isn't about playing games anymore. A lot has just become a pissing contest that you pay to enter into. Sad, but inevitable.
Agree but this comment is too hypocritical not to quote, as EQ is the embodyment one big pissin contest, i.e. levels, gear, the 'oh my god hes got that item' aspect. But I suppose back in the day it was done with respect.

And P99 is no different to any other game regarding immaturity factor...

Take this shaman that joined my SolB group a couple weeks ago. He was pretty much perma AFK for about half hour before we booted him, not buffing, slowing one random mob out of every 10 if that, not sitting while medding for literally 10 minutes straight while AFK without warning, then complaining that hes perma OOM when he did pop back to his PC, ignoring tells for melee buffs to the 3 monks we had. At one point we all counted how many mobs we killed before he actually even moved, it got to 22 mobs before he 'twitched' slightly, didnt cast, then another 11 mobs before he actually sat to med. Hilarious.

So, needless to say we removed him, I sent him a tell saying "Let me know when you're back bud" - and he replied in /say to all of us with "you're all trash players anyway, laters". We had hard lols.

Point is - these people are everywhere, not just in CS, CoD, Halo, etc...
Last edited by Stormfists; 02-09-2015 at 06:42 AM..
Old 02-09-2015, 08:09 AM
Sarnak

My 10 year old nephew is the next generation of gamers and I hate to admit they are just terrible. I watch him play on his console and even on his phone (this clash of clans crap) and all they care about is themselves and shitting on everyone else.

I tried to take him under my wing and show him old school gaming but he doesn't care about teamwork or playing a role, it's all about blowing everyone else up and winning.

It's just gonna get worse. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 02-09-2015, 12:49 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadmantis [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
My 10 year old nephew is the next generation of gamers and I hate to admit they are just terrible. I watch him play on his console and even on his phone (this clash of clans crap) and all they care about is themselves and shitting on everyone else.

I tried to take him under my wing and show him old school gaming but he doesn't care about teamwork or playing a role, it's all about blowing everyone else up and winning.

It's just gonna get worse. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
There's hope out there... some kids are hardcore into Minecraft which isn't based on that quite so much.
Old 02-12-2015, 12:38 PM
Aviak

I'm 45 now, started EQ in my late 20's when it came out, and can't agree with you more.

I find many (not all) "modern gamers" to be shallow, self-absorbed, uneducated, incurious about the world around them, self-centered, childish, petty and without values.

It's probably why I've been here more than a year and haven't ever bothered with a guild.
Last edited by ctechguy; 02-12-2015 at 12:55 PM..
Old 02-12-2015, 12:49 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctechguy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I find many (not all) "modern gamers" to be shallow, self-absorbed, uneducated, uncurious about the world around them, self-centered, childish, petty and without values.
This isn't just gamers, it's almost all young people.
Old 02-12-2015, 01:06 PM
Planar Protector

The greater the barrier of entry, the better the population.

Yumyums Inmahtumtums - 59 Shaman
Lemonspoon Icebeaner - 52 Enchanter
Yumyums Inmahtumtums - 60 Enchanter
Old 02-12-2015, 05:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swish [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
There's hope out there... some kids are hardcore into Minecraft which isn't based on that quite so much.
minecraft is one of the greatest games of all time and all my little cousins play it obsessively even though they're still young enough to enjoy awful Transformer movies. I don't think the future of children is depressing and horrifying so much as the future of American mass-media. As always, the sharp ones will see through the bullshit and the dumb ones will play BrownSlayerSim 5: America Triumphs.

Also, lol at all these people who think competition in games is a bad thing. It's the foundation of literally every game still worth playing, including EQ red.

"Our youth now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for their elders and love chatter in place of exercise; they no longer rise when elders enter the room; they contradict their parents, chatter before company; gobble up their food and tyrannize their teachers. They also all play call of duty” -a really old fool
Old 02-17-2015, 02:44 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by KagatobLuvsAnimu [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
OP has been playing since 99 and is 29. OP lived through NES/SNES/Genesis without playing them.

A) Cool that this thread got some traction cause I think it's a pretty interesting topic to delve into.

and

B) I had pretty much every system worth having, NES, SNES, Sega, Sega 32x, Sega Saturn (maybe not worth having lol) N64, PS1, only consoles I skipped out on were dreamcube, ps2 ps3, the wii, and the new turdpiles of xbox 1 and ps4.

One of my biggest regrets to this day involving my oldschool game collection, was when I was about 14 I took my NES, SNES, about 200 games, my Sega's, basically all my shit except my N64 and PS1, and sold them at a gaming store to get enough money to buy a better video card for Everquest lol... I really really wish I still had that collection, being a dumb kid I didn't realize how baller it would be to have in this era.

Bashndash - < > 50 ogre war
Dashnbash - < > 50 highelf mage
Flashndash - < > 28 woodelf rogue
Old 02-17-2015, 02:48 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormfists [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Agree but this comment is too hypocritical not to quote, as EQ is the embodyment one big pissin contest, i.e. levels, gear, the 'oh my god hes got that item' aspect. But I suppose back in the day it was done with respect.
Funny you mention that, I remember way back in the day people would get pissed if you inspected them without asking first.... lol, the culture of gaming has changed so much.

Like other posters have touched on.... Being a "gamer" used to be a weird sub genre culture that the majority of people didn't bother with. Having a massive collection of games, with hardcore gamer friends growing up was different, and like someone earlier mentioned allowed you an outlet away from people you didn't want to spend time with.... and now EVERYONE games. The full retards have infected the internet en mass.

Bashndash - < > 50 ogre war
Dashnbash - < > 50 highelf mage
Flashndash - < > 28 woodelf rogue
Old 02-17-2015, 02:51 PM
Sarnak

Price is clearly not that much of a barrier anymore. See how well Call of Duty 4 Map packs 1-4 have done over the years and WoW is still going pretty strong with its sub base although its lost a few million by now.

Going to be assholes everywhere in real life and online. All about finding a good core to play with. Honestly can't even think of a game outside of P99 that I've played that hasn't been with the same few dozen guys from a clan from some no name game 8 years ago.