Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 05:39 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirken [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
ive read a lot of posts on the daybreak boards from players making comments like "my friends wont play p99" or "my friends refuse to play on p99" or "fuck p99 id never play on that server"

and my question is, why not? what is the reason behind their adamant resentment of P99? i get it if they wanna box or run mq2, but if they want classic everquest, and since we do classic better than anyone else on the internet, why wouldnt they want to play on p99?

<3
Sirks
because no one wants to start fresh on P99 server that has an economy that is screwed up and content monopolized for the past 4+ years...people want fresh box and start even with everyone else
Old 05-26-2015, 05:42 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirken [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
ive read a lot of posts on the daybreak boards from players making comments like "my friends wont play p99" or "my friends refuse to play on p99" or "fuck p99 id never play on that server"

and my question is, why not? what is the reason behind their adamant resentment of P99? i get it if they wanna box or run mq2, but if they want classic everquest, and since we do classic better than anyone else on the internet, why wouldnt they want to play on p99?

<3
Sirks
I love this server and I love you all for making it. I think it's really awesome.

That being said, Luclin was personally my favorite expansion. I really enjoyed the raid content and AAs. If another server came along that was even 80% as good as p99 and its staff, but went up to Luclin or PoP even, i'd jump ship in a heartbeat. I paid for a months subscription to Ragefire and didn't like it. I stopped playing live around the GoD time period, so the live Ragefire server doesn't even closely resemble EQ to me.

In no way is this a complaint for the record. I never have and never will complain about what you guys do here. This was simply intended to answer your question with at least one answer. Them going past Velious was enough for me to pay $15 to check it out. I immediately stopped my subscription because it was about as bad as we all thought it was going to be. I had to find out for myself though!
Old 05-26-2015, 05:44 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psykes [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
because no one wants to start fresh on P99 server that has an economy that is screwed up and content monopolized for the past 4+ years...people want fresh box and start even with everyone else
..:and based on Daybreak's attempt at classic Everquest, less classic Everquest and more cash shop. Station cash, fuck yeah, you love it.
Old 05-26-2015, 06:01 AM
Large Bat

Quote:
I would go so far to say that 95% of the technical issues new players would have are extremely well-known, and the solution easily found on the tech forums. You have to be *really* lazy to not figure out how to run this old thing.
Well-known, and 75% of search results point to answers that are wrong. I just went through installing P99 on a new macbook and it took a couple of hours to get up and running. (Go ahead make comments about how Mac is shit, that's going to really help population)

Quote:
Their largest hangup is availability of the Titanium client.
^ This.

Can staff post a full download to the main page now the Daybreak has "acknowledged" this server or whatever?
If you don't bump your thread, it will be lost in the forgotten black hole of tears.
-- Sirken 10:30-57
Old 05-26-2015, 06:08 AM
Fire Giant

I've been playing on Ragefire lately. I wanted to try out a fresh server. It is nothing like P99. Aside from the long queue time. I can get past that. The server is actually terrible compared to P99 and has made me respect Nilbog, Rogean, Sirken, Ephi, and the rest of the team so much more. P.S. I made a donation tonight to p99 even though I haven't been playing on the server lately.
Old 05-26-2015, 06:48 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowpoke68 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Live is just a ton easier. There is no comparison in the time you need to spend to level. No corpse runs. Soul binders in every city. Shared bank slots. Casters, pets and monks do tons more damage. More vendor trash to sell at the beginning. Spells more frequently while leveling. The list goes on.
Ugh. Don't forget RMT cash shop to make things even easier.
Old 05-26-2015, 07:39 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daldaen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
1. Distrust of EQEmu servers. Putting time into a game run by private owners who aren't accountable to anyone (not saying it's a bad thing, but as a paying customer you have a bit more weight and reason to complain when stupid things happen)
2. Distrust of going to the pirate lagoon to attain a copy of EQ Titanium. Extreme computer illiterness (making this a word if it's not) and wariness of Trojans/viruses. Call it old grandma complex. Won't open any file cause they all have viruses that steal your identity.
3. Boxing. It's fun. I was boxing on the TAK Project earlier today. I feel I'm able to get a lot more involved in playing when I'm responsible for not only charming, CCing, healing and pulling at the same time. Makes playing a cleric more tolerable as I can tab to my Druid or enchanter and do things there. Especially on raids.
4. Content/Expansions. Luclin/PoP are some of the most well liked/successful expansions EQ had. They balanced so many aspects of the game. AAs brought viability to many classes on raids that lacked it for awhile. It gave purpose to exping once you are max level, instead of encouraging alt #27363. Then there's the raid mechanics; Shei in AR, Emperor in Ssra, EP Gods, PoTime, and several PoP flag raids like Rallos, LMM, Agnarr, Bertox, MB - These events were far more entertaining and engaging than Classic-Velious raid content. Tradeskills became useful in Luclin/PoP. Etc. PoP confirmed best expansion for a large chunk of the EQ population. Knowing it won't be here is a big deterrent for many. Nuke red and make P2002 that goes to PoP. You'd see 2000+ server size I thinks.
Old 05-26-2015, 07:45 AM
Sarnak

If they made a new sever, and put it at 1 yr for each expansion, and even considered adding Luclin or PoP while maintaining the attention to detail and integrity, this server would get all of the players. All of them.
Old 05-26-2015, 07:58 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekreant [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If they made a new sever, and put it at 1 yr for each expansion, and even considered adding Luclin or PoP while maintaining the attention to detail and integrity, this server would get all of the players. All of them.
It would allow boxing, it wouldn't get all of us.. but a good chunk I'm sure [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 05-26-2015, 08:05 AM
Sarnak

It's amusing because I logged into EQ Live (Silver Restrictions) last night for the first time in a long time. Logged onto Vox, their newest server. The low level population in the Tutorial Mines zone was pretty high.

But man, it's a totally different EQ. It's extremely complicated, you get spells every level (including the shadowknight I rolled, which was quite odd), zones are extremely crowded due to mercs and players running around and the community doesn't even speak to each other.

I mean, don't get me wrong... In a pinch with no p99 it could be alright. But it's a different game. I wouldn't say it's even EQ anymore. It's more WoW with EQ baselines. Plus, as a silver (which is no longer offered) I can't wear certain types of armor... so playing a tank is extremely unrealistic.

p99 IS EQ.