Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 04:55 PM
Planar Protector

Thanks for the brief update, nilbog.
DAOC Class Descriptions by Crith (for all 3 realms, with some comparisons to EQ classes)
DAOC: Uthgard Revamp (old thread with some useful info)
"Sometimes a Majority means, that most fools are on the same side"
Old 12-28-2010, 06:01 PM
Sarnak

I would just like to add my two cents to this discussion.

I work for a software development company. I can tell you this much, even with teams of developers working 50+ hours a week its very difficult to accurately set an estimate for release, and more often than not you ARE late. That is just the nature of software estimating. With that said I could only imagine how difficult it would be to make an estimate when you have **VOLUNTEERS** who all probably have a full time job, or class or something else going on in their lives to make any estimate on a project when you probably, at very best get 10-15 hours a week from a single developer. P1999 giving us an Estimate on when Kunark will be released with their current staff would only be setting the community up for disappointment, as I previously said with FULL time devs a project is rarely delivered on time. And we have no idea what kind of QA process the team has (and trust me QA is as important as development time if you want Kunark or any software to be released with ANY form of quality).

Just wait, it does not matter if it takes a week or 10 more months or whatever enjoy the server. If you want to help it come out faster take a systematic approach to testing the kunark server whenever it is up. It is probably hard to comprehend the scope of the task, yeah the creatures are made, and the zones are made, but itemization, quests, making it CLASSIC alone is a huge undertaking, and prone to bugs and errors galore.

Kunark will come out in good time, hopefully not rushed but when it's ready, and we will rejoice!
Old 12-28-2010, 06:14 PM
Aviak

I just discovered this sever. Maybe when I'm level 50 with all my tradeskills maxed I'll join the chant for Kunark. Right now, I'm enjoying Classic!
Old 12-28-2010, 06:20 PM
Fire Giant

I also work for a software development company, and this is the one rule that seems to be consistent:

Building new software takes 20% of the total project time. The rest of the time is spent testing/debugging/polishing.

While P99 Kunark might not technically count as new software, it's pretty close. It seems the developers want to have a clean release, so there will be a lot of testing/fixing going on. It's also the least amount of fun. I *hate* finding out some section of my code breaks, I imagine it'd be worse if I were doing the coding voluntarily.

Considering the state of Classic, I say they're doing a damn good job. They can take all the time they need on Kunark.
Old 12-28-2010, 06:44 PM
Aviak

So tonight my brother brought his kids over and my nephew asked me twice a second when the pizza was coming. Just saying I know how you feel guys.
Old 12-28-2010, 07:21 PM
Fire Giant

Take all the time you need. I'm still trying to get to raid-level. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

"Life's short and hard like a body building elf."
Old 12-29-2010, 02:10 AM
Kobold

When the server came up I started an Iksar monk, spent hours leveling to 3 and was like "oh god my life" and AFKed from beta until the exp rate's significantly increased.
Reiker is a 30 watt fluorescent bulb. Reiker is a former freelance writer. Reiker is not skilled in the craft of writing. Reiker is also Teacher of the Year at Apopka High School. Reiker is affiliated with 2 hospitals. Reiker is a remote controlled space heater in the winter. Reiker is rated "EXCELLENT" in the following areas:
Old 12-29-2010, 04:25 AM
Kobold

Though I agree that updates about Kunark would be nice, it would probably cause more problems than they're worth. If they said, 1st quarter and it got pushed back.... there'd be idiots bitching up a storm about it. And if they push it out too fast, people will complain its too buggy. You basically can't win with the community so its easier to keep them in the dark, do a good job, and let rumors fly. People came back to this game after 10 years, they'll wait until its done.

Speaking of which, is Duke Nukem Forever out yet?

Old 12-29-2010, 12:20 PM
Banned

Ban Toyoda
Old 12-29-2010, 12:55 PM
Planar Protector

I'm pretty new to the server, but I just want to take the time to publicly thank the devs, PMs, guides etc etc for all the time they put in here to make this great. To me, p1999 "feels" exactly like Live did back in the day, and I'm loving every minute of it. My only complaint is that I dont have enough time to play as much as I would like [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

From my perspective, I see a few ungratefuls that might possibly cloud the MANY that are very grateful that play here. Please do not let the minority ruin it for the majority and deter your efforts. Keep up the good work.

I work in a thankless job, as an IT professional, and its hard. But always remember that for every one complainer, there is almost always 100x that completely satisfied, but never say anything.

Thanks again for making P1999 rock!
Closed Thread