Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Closed Thread

Old 08-05-2015, 02:30 PM
Sarnak

Don't choose your paladin's race based on charisma stat. There are so many better options to break a dicey room than having a paladin lull pull. If you are that interested in being a puller, paladin is a bad choice of class for you.

Be careful with flash of light. I see someone above saying he's doing FoL on multiple mobs in a pull, and FoL'ing while backing up. Those are both very bad practices in my opinion. You should only be using FoL on mobs that you intend to stay in the face of, as leaving their hit box can and will cause them to flee if they are actually blinded. Mobs fleeing in a dungeon usually cause a wipe.

You should start to wean yourself off the use of flash of light as you level higher and get more stuns. By the time you get all three stuns that have their own timers you should not be using flash of light at all.
Old 08-05-2015, 06:35 PM
Fire Giant

Flash of Light is always a crucial spell to have when tanking even at high levels. The issue with throwing out too many stuns is that they are far more mana intensive than Flash and because Paladin has very little sit time mana is always at a premium. It is very important to stun mobs but its even more important to understand not to stun too much and waste mana. If you have an Enc with C2 the standing mana ticks grease the wheels quite nicely, but if you are playing without an Enchanter the mana squeeze becomes very apparent very quickly.

For melee mobs, its a good idea to toss out a low mana 0 damage stun to put yourself right at the top of the hate list and you can keep him agroed with one flash of light, maybe another. There is no reason after that point to toss out any more stuns on a melee mob. Use Holy Might when you split up mezzed mobs so you deal a little damage to break the mez and get yourself a nice cushion at the top of the hate list.

Another issue with stunning to much is stunlocking the mob in the wrong direction and having pets, rogues, and other melees miss out on damage from behind. Stunlocking is a very effective trick and you can get creative with it when changing targets and tossing roots and heals etc, but too much stunlocking is a hassle for pets and your other group members. It also consumes a ton of mana.

For caster mobs I find that Stun and Holy Might (with Goblin Earring) along with Bash is plenty to keep them chain interrupted. Instead of a third stun in my spell bar I have Flash of Light. Stunning caster mobs on pulls is great because you can run away and duck around a corner out of LOS and they will blow right by the rest of your group, come around the corner, and you can park them wherever you want and they won't cast on your group.

It is a poor choice to roll a Paladin for high Charisma. It does need to be understood, however, that a High Elf Paladin benefits far more from his high charisma than his high wisdom as far as his dungeon crawling career is concerned. Its a good idea for Paladins of all races to carry charisma gear around with them and in true P99 spirit this tip falls mostly upon deaf ears.

Between a bow, root, calm, stuns, and DA at level 55 Paladin is an excellent puller and I often play without a Monk or other FD class and also often without an Enchanter. If you're a Paladin you really shouldn't have to depend on an FD class or even an Enchanter to do your pulls for you. You only really need an Enchanter to calm very nasty room breaks, and even still you can root mobs on bad splits with the coordination of other casters and you'll be just fine. I don't really understand the P99 mentality of FD being an absolute requirement to be a "puller" and if you are a Paladin you certainly are a "puller" even if you don't have FD.

You won't always find yourself lulling but there are certainly many situations where you will have to, even at high level. An example of a situation where you would have to charm is a nasty room break in a group without an Enchanter or FD class. If you have a Shaman with you he can give you a charisma buff and with some charisma gear you're in great shape even as a Dwarf.

Much of the time when I pull I use Enstill for two mob splits and it works even for three mob splits (you'll take a couple hits at that rate but its usually not the end of the world) Usually on multiple mob splits I'll coordinate with another caster to help me stick additional mobs. I very frequently use root on Paladin and I can't really wrap my brain around how someone can play the class and not have it be a key and frequent tool.

Perhaps the biggest tanking tool a Paladin has is Flash of Light and Paladin should -always- have Flash of Light in their spell bar when tanking at all levels.
Last edited by Tuljin; 08-05-2015 at 06:41 PM..
Old 08-05-2015, 07:48 PM
Sarnak

Could you explain your tactic a little more for breaking a room with root/enstill? Do you completely forgo lull/sooth and root one, kill the others then when root breaks kill that mob? Im starting to realize my pally on live was a newb haha. Thanks again.
Old 08-06-2015, 11:48 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Would it be worth it as a dwarf paladin to toss 15 of your 20 generation points into wisdom, bringing it up to 70? You would still have 100 str and 95 sta. Wich is more stamina then any of the other races after pumping generation points into, except human, who ends up at 100 sta.
Last edited by Zheddar; 08-06-2015 at 11:50 AM..
Old 08-06-2015, 12:55 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

I meant 15 of the 20 points int charisma.
Old 08-06-2015, 01:40 PM
Sarnak

Does anyone know the calculation for how much hp each point of stamina gives a Pally/SK? I thought it was something like hp=sta(.02xlevel) for <200.
Old 08-10-2015, 09:43 AM
Planar Protector

5.2hp/sta at L60, so .0867hp/sta/lvl.
Old 08-10-2015, 09:56 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonewallx39 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Could you explain your tactic a little more for breaking a room with root/enstill? Do you completely forgo lull/sooth and root one, kill the others then when root breaks kill that mob? Im starting to realize my pally on live was a newb haha. Thanks again.
Depends on number of mobs in room, distance from camp, how much space you have to work with and what your group composition is. I never like rooting somehing that may pass oh of line of sight, because then you have lost control of it. In addition to maintaining LoS with your cc'd mobs, rooting them as far apart from one-another as possible goes a long way towards remaining efficient.
Old 08-10-2015, 10:39 AM
Planar Protector

Levelling up you can root mobs next to common path routes / crowded spawn points to help you pull more without having to come out of camp.

Works well while doing the 20s in mistmoore.
Closed Thread