Elf/shortie team:

Rivervale
Kaladim
Kelethin
Felwithe
Ak'Anon

Contested city:

Freeport

The following race/class/team combinations woud be allowed to start in Freeport that are not part of the human team:

Human bard (Evil team)

Human monk (Elf/shortie team)

Barbarian shaman (Elf/shortie team)

There would be no customization (such as trainers or spell vendors added to Freeport) to make Elf team shaman viable. If you walk around Halas saying "I like faries and midgets," you get exiled. If this is the combo you choose to play, then finding a way to get spells and training is your problem.

If you are an Elf team shaman, the names of all Human team members will appear red to you and vice versa. Same for Evil team bards and Elf team monks. Anyone creating a character in Freeport should receive a message stating that Freeport is a contested city and characters from all three teams can be created there so that they are warned of the possibility of low-end PvP within their starting city.

Following are optional rules that could be implemented for the Classic era, then removed according to a timeline similar to the removal of item loot on Vallon and Tallon Zek:

1. Item loot

Single item loot existed on the teams PvP servers until June 22, 2000 according to this, shortly after the release of Kunark on April 24, 2000. A similar timeline for Teams99 would be completely classic.

2. Rep Yo City

The majority seem to want hard-coded teams, and the above setup provides that by dis-allowing guilding and grouping across team lines. However, Rep Yo City is a great compromise between the failed Sullon Zek experiment (fully-hard-coded teams) and the vastly more-popular Race War ruleset (soft coded teams).

Players would still be restricted from grouping and guilding across team lines, but would be PvP+ against players that start in a different city. In other words, Human team players who start in Paineel would be PvP+ against Human team players from Erudin, Qeynos, Surefall Glade and Halas.

I suggest that the city-based PvP component be removed around the same time item loot is removed. On Vallon Zek, the teams fought among each other for a time before settling into a light vs. dark dynamic that lasted until shortly before the Zek merge. This would allow for a similar "Wild West" feel during the early stages of Teams99 before settling into a more-rigid Sullon-style teams structure as the server ages.

Sirken has stated that his non-classic ideas to work around missing classes for the various teams were shot down. The above contains no non-classic elements. Bards were allowed to play on the Evil team and human monks could pick Good or Neutral on Sullon Zek. Basically, this is like a Sullon-style server where, instead of the good and neutral teams sharing starting cities while the evil team leveled in safety, it offers starting-city safety everywhere except Freeport, where characters from all three teams can start.

I also highly recommend a 5-level spread for PvP. Four levels is too restrictive and opening it up by that one extra level would make a huge difference in the amount of available PvP.
Last edited by wts; 08-11-2015 at 03:44 AM..
Old 08-11-2015, 04:09 AM
Sarnak

I highly recommend a SZ style rule set for a teams server, bite the bullet and accept unlimited level range. It worked on sz it could work here, and I'll explain why.

Or the alternative is we could choose to have a server where 1 team has 0 trackers and 0 bards. Doesn't sound like a good idea, only worked out on vallon/tallon because of x teaming. Xteaming for those not familiar let those on the other team group and buff each other.But here we want the teams hardcorded, so that leaves us the options of VZ?TZ with hardcoded teams or SZ. I think that if you leave one team with no bards they will get destroyed mass pvp, the addition of sks and necros will not make up for whole groups of other classes having selo speed during pvp. Unless you like shooting fish in a barrel pvp this isn't for you.

On the other hand there is SZ, which was so successful that at one point it had over 3000 people. The first problem some people think of when they think of SZ is low level griefing.
Low level griefing with SZ rules wouldn't be so bad here because the population is so much smaller, and a high level could easily go to a noobie zone and kill the griefers to get them. Which leads me to another point, the server would need to have no lns. If you want to bring back teams pvp (and if it has to be classic, sz is the only option, unless you want one team with no bards/no trackers to lose all the time) then you want to keep all the elements that made the server successful in place.

Allow me to explain why the removal of Lns would help the teams server: Removal of lns keeps the griefers at bay because griefers don't have a real pvping mentality, they don't play for fair pvp they play to play to kill those who are weaker then themselves, no grief player wants to be griefed because it defeats the whole point of griefing in the first place, easy kills with no risk to themselves. If you tell them they have play with the assumption that they can be killed by someone even higher then themselves and be unable to get their corpses none of them will play. Sz worked very well this way in controlling the griefers because everyone knew if someone was a big enough douchebag they could just be corpse camped forever, sometimes until rot, which did happen.Most of the time a player might just be denied their corpse for a matter of hours but in rare cases it was for days or until rot. Griefers like easymode, they can't handle hands off pvp where they themselves can be griefed. So in this way I think a teams server with classic SZ rules could police itself, given that our server population pool is small enough that we can all name the griefers of red off the top of our heads, opposed to SZ where they were inumerable.

The one thing I would change is the train policy, it would need to be changed to make training not allowed, this server just has to many hardcore players for that part to stay in.
Last edited by BardPop; 08-11-2015 at 04:12 AM..
Old 08-11-2015, 04:24 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by BardPop [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I highly recommend a SZ style rule set for a teams server, bite the bullet and accept unlimited level range. It worked on sz it could work here.
It did not work. Sullon Zek was a massive failure and by far the least populous of all Everquest PvP rulesets. They just got through reducing an 8-level spread to a 4-level spread for PvP. I don't know why people think they're now going to roll with a 60-level spread for PvP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BardPop [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Or the alternative is we could choose to have a server where 1 team has 0 trackers and 0 bards.
Maybe read the post before responding next time? All three teams have bards.
Old 08-11-2015, 04:46 AM
Fire Giant

....yeah why not? put 60 lvl range, you know what will happen, box will be empy there will be 1 dominating clan of assholes who griefed everyone else off the box and 1 year from now we will ask for a wipe and a good ruleset since the start but devs will ask us, "if we wipe now what you think will be different?".

PD: everything
Old 08-11-2015, 05:26 AM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by wts [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Human team:

Qeynos
Surefall Glade
Halas
Erudin
Paineel

Evil team:

Neriak
Grobb
Oggok

Elf/shortie team:

Rivervale
Kaladim
Kelethin
Felwithe
Ak'Anon

Contested city:

Freeport

The following race/class/team combinations woud be allowed to start in Freeport that are not part of the human team:

Human bard (Evil team)

Human monk (Elf/shortie team)

Barbarian shaman (Elf/shortie team)

There would be no customization (such as trainers or spell vendors added to Freeport) to make Elf team shaman viable. If you walk around Halas saying "I like faries and midgets," you get exiled. If this is the combo you choose to play, then finding a way to get spells and training is your problem.

If you are an Elf team shaman, the names of all Human team members will appear red to you and vice versa. Same for Evil team bards and Elf team monks. Anyone creating a character in Freeport should receive a message stating that Freeport is a contested city and characters from all three teams can be created there so that they are warned of the possibility of low-end PvP within their starting city.

Following are optional rules that could be implemented for the Classic era, then removed according to a timeline similar to the removal of item loot on Vallon and Tallon Zek:

1. Item loot

Single item loot existed on the teams PvP servers until June 22, 2000 according to this, shortly after the release of Kunark on April 24, 2000. A similar timeline for Teams99 would be completely classic.

2. Rep Yo City

The majority seem to want hard-coded teams, and the above setup provides that by dis-allowing guilding and grouping across team lines. However, Rep Yo City is a great compromise between the failed Sullon Zek experiment (fully-hard-coded teams) and the vastly more-popular Race War ruleset (soft coded teams).

Players would still be restricted from grouping and guilding across team lines, but would be PvP+ against players that start in a different city. In other words, Human team players who start in Paineel would be PvP+ against Human team players from Erudin, Qeynos, Surefall Glade and Halas.

I suggest that the city-based PvP component be removed around the same time item loot is removed. On Vallon Zek, the teams fought among each other for a time before settling into a light vs. dark dynamic that lasted until shortly before the Zek merge. This would allow for a similar "Wild West" feel during the early stages of Teams99 before settling into a more-rigid Sullon-style teams structure as the server ages.

Sirken has stated that his non-classic ideas to work around missing classes for the various teams were shot down. The above contains no non-classic elements. Bards were allowed to play on the Evil team and human monks could pick Good or Neutral on Sullon Zek. Basically, this is like a Sullon-style server where, instead of the good and neutral teams sharing starting cities while the evil team leveled in safety, it offers starting-city safety everywhere except Freeport, where characters from all three teams can start.

I also highly recommend a 5-level spread for PvP. Four levels is too restrictive and opening it up by that one extra level would make a huge difference in the amount of available PvP.
We're getting closer to something we could roll with. I'm not sure how interfaction fighting between cities would work out, i never played teams on live. With teams there will be less targets to pvp, i think this warrants the bigger 8 level range. Not sure item loot would be good in the long run for the server. Maybe item loot sub 40 so twinks are vulnerable but later than that the neckbeards will be decked out in planar no-drops with a lot less to lose than the casual in his smr. For a fresh server i'd like to see xp back to normal for the start at least.

tldr pras the duke
Old 08-11-2015, 05:49 AM
Orc

Has any server done region-based teams?

example 2 teams.. this is a rough example, plz excuse bad photoshop

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

West side:

Erudites
Barbarians
Humans - Qeynos
Half Elves - Qeynos
Dark Elves
Ogres

East side:
High Elves
Gnomes
Dwarves
Trolls
Wood Elves
Half Elves - Kelethin
Iksar

Freeport - Point of contention. Humans spawning here can ally to either side.(?)

Just curious how this would play out.

--bump with nilbog's idea for teams server--
Old 08-11-2015, 06:39 AM
Sarnak

Ugh WoW PvP NOOOooooooooo........
Old 08-11-2015, 06:49 AM
Fire Giant

bloods and crips yall.
Old 08-11-2015, 06:51 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by wts [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Ugh WoW PvP NOOOooooooooo........
Old 08-11-2015, 07:02 AM
Sarnak

cant wait to join this server, cross team with 100 of my pals and then eliminate / grief competition off through continuous bind camping. Server will last about 2 weeks. Yaawww
Closed Thread