Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 08-21-2016, 06:02 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Default 100% New EQ player needs guidance

I am an MMORPG vet who started playing other first gen games around 2000 like Asheron's Call and Dark Age of Camelot. Have heard nothing but good things about this server so decided to try it out. I started an Erudite Magician and am running around Erudin with not much of a clue what to do. I found my trainer, but how do I acquire spells or items to even start killing mobs? And where do I go for that matter? Any beginner guides you would direct me to? Thanks for your help.
Old 08-22-2016, 05:34 PM
Aviak

There are quite a bunch of guides here: http://wiki.project1999.com/Players:Adventure

Also dig into caster forums here, some great info there! As for leveling as erudite here's the fastest way:

1-5 kill everything near Erudin entrance, it will slow down a bit at lvl 4, but get to 5 regardless. Sell everything to merchant in the zone to save cash for lvl 4 spells.

5-10 kill everything you can in Warrens zone, which is located in Paineel. Use your pet and group with anybody so you don't take 50% exp penalty when your pet outdamages you.

10-12 kill 2 skeleton guards on the Tox->Paineel zone line, they give no faction hits and are easy enough.

12-16 make sure you got food, drink, gems to cast pets, 8 backpacks and head to Erud's Crossing. Bind yourself there and kill wisps till ALL your bags are full of Lightstone/Greater Lightstones. Catch a ship back to Erudin, and bank ALL of your stones. Return and continue killing till you got 8 full bags again and your eyes bleed.

16-19 Turn all these lightstones to Mrysilla in North Karana and hopefully you will be somewhere between level 18 and 20. Here's the link for that quest:
http://wiki.project1999.com/Research_Aid
Old 08-22-2016, 05:39 PM
Fire Giant

Welcome to the server! [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

We have a small leveling guild that might interest you. A number of lower level players you could potentially group with and plenty of EQ vets from live that can answer all those noobie questions you may have while playing. Feel free to look me up in game for an invite or just to look for players to group with.

Kotopes offers some good info and I would just reiterate that the p99 wiki has a ton of good info and will answer most questions. Look on your class page of the wiki for lots of class specific info including where to get spells, gear, quests, leveling guides etc..
Old 08-22-2016, 06:09 PM
Planar Protector

Erudin is probably one of the least welcoming places to start as a complete newbie. The city has a complex layout, and as an erudite you have very poor night vision (this can be improved later on with items and spells, but you're far from it).

I'd suggest to roll another race. If you like Mage (decent newbie class), I'd suggest High elf or Gnome. Or maybe Dark Elf. Gnome probably best unless you don't like how they look.

As for newbie friendly classes, as I said, mage is decent, druid, shaman and paladin (in that order) are probably a little better as you can heal yourself.
Old 08-22-2016, 06:11 PM
Orc

You should start with a couple spells. You have to load them into spell book, and then load them from your spell book onto your casting bar. The casting bar slots correspond to the number keys. If you found the guild master then your spells are sold in the same building. Just talk to npc until you find the one with the spells you need. You will need to go out and kill some mobs until you get enough cash to buy all your first level spells.

Welcome to the game. It's a steep learning curve, but well worth it.
Old 08-22-2016, 06:30 PM
Aviak

Well Erudin is not that bad actually, personally I think AKanon/Freeport/Qeynos/Neriak/Kelethin are more complicated cities to navigate. One only needs to hit level 4 killing trash around Erudin entrance in Tox. Forest, and with lvl 4 pet mages are very OP even naked. Also Warrens and wisp island in Erud's Crossing make erudite newbie zones vastly better than pretty much any other race, spare iksar maybe.
Old 08-22-2016, 06:33 PM
Planar Protector

I just have the feeling he'll find more company and guidance on Faydwer than on Odus. :P
Old 08-22-2016, 08:16 PM
Large Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izmael [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I just have the feeling he'll find more company and guidance on Faydwer than on Odus. :P
I agree with this I'm a week old in P99 and Faydwer is great, I was in Crushbone til 18 now I'm 20 and in Unrest and the zones are if anything overcrowded.
Old 08-22-2016, 08:29 PM
Planar Protector

It is a journey!! Erudin is a great place! Go!! Explore!!! Perhaps you shall find a druid who you can ride to far off lands!! Or....take the boat and see where you go!!!

Just remember to bind in any new cities you come to!
Old 08-25-2016, 03:29 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by iflytoohigh [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You should start with a couple spells. You have to load them into spell book, and then load them from your spell book onto your casting bar. The casting bar slots correspond to the number keys. If you found the guild master then your spells are sold in the same building. Just talk to npc until you find the one with the spells you need. You will need to go out and kill some mobs until you get enough cash to buy all your first level spells.

Welcome to the game. It's a steep learning curve, but well worth it.
I thought the number keys corresponded to your macro/hotkeys. That's how I spin my songs on my bard....
Closed Thread