Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 07-27-2020, 04:49 AM
Large Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcoy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
A lot of the random "client fails to launch" errors are related to screen resolution. Have you tried editing the eqclient.ini under the [VideoMode] section, enabling windowed mode, and setting it to something straightforward like 800x600?

-Mcoy
Thanks, I gave that a try and no luck. As a final attempt, I installed Windows 7 Super Lite x86 and installed Project 1999. When I launch it, it at least tries to load the client and then crashes with a generic error.

Looking into the Event viewer, there seems to be an issue with DSETUP.dll (surprise surprise) that's causing this. Here's the details from Event viewer:

Faulting application name: eqgame.exe, version: 0.0.0.0
Faulting module name: DSETUP.dll, version 3.49.0.0
Exception code: 0xc000001d
Old 07-27-2020, 01:21 PM
Planar Protector

Any kind of AV running? Make sure your eq folder is excluded from real time scans.

-Mcoy
Old 07-27-2020, 03:53 PM
Large Bat

I don't use AV or Firewalls for this since it's on it's own network. It's the DSETUP.dll that is causing issues with these machines. Is there a specific requirement for the latest version in the patch notes? I was able to replace it with an old DSETUP.dll from Joe Leonard's Getting Started YouTube video and it launched fine, simply just said my spell files need updated. Any reason there is such a huge difference in file size (96kb vs 3400kb)? That seems huge for a DLL file, but what do I know. Either way I still can't launch the client with the latest patch due to the DSETUP.dll.

I'd be curious of anyone else has actually run the latest version with any of the following as I get a very similar error. I have installed all of the latest C++ runtimes. .NET, and DirectX on each system as needed. All are x86 as I'n running a 440BX board. I don't run firewalls or any AV on any of these systems. I should also note that I've tried fresh installs/updates with each of these OSs and have not installed any other games/software while trying to get this to work.

Windows 98 SE
Windows XP SP3
Windows Vista
Windows 7 Super Lite

Anyone we can call in here with a Bat signal? [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] Thanks!
Last edited by armando2002; 07-27-2020 at 03:57 PM..
Old 07-27-2020, 04:55 PM
Planar Protector

So, that DLL is part of the anti-cheat/exploit/boxing/<insert purpose here>. Were you actually able to get in-game running the older version?

-Mcoy
Old 07-27-2020, 05:36 PM
Large Bat

Correct. I am able to boot to the character selection screen with the old DLL.
Old 07-27-2020, 05:47 PM
Planar Protector

Interesting - you may want to start a new thread asking about the DLL and Windows XP so the admins see it, or try asking about it in the discord channel. Wish I knew what change on my XP box is allowing it to function normally. I'm waiting for a new external hdd to arrive and then I plan on P2V'ing that box so I can try using process explorer and see what EQ is touching and maybe get a better idea. Will report back in a couple days.

-Mcoy
Old 07-27-2020, 05:49 PM
Large Bat

Thanks, is there a section that I missed where I can submit a bug report for consideration for the next release? In the meantime I am going to decompile this DLL and try to get to the bottom of this.
Old 07-27-2020, 08:09 PM
Planar Protector

There's a bug report section of the forum at the bottom of the main forum page, but I've no idea how you'd classify a compatibility issue with the options provided:

https://www.project1999.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6

My drive arrived today, but unfortunately I cannot get my Win10 system to connect to my XP laptop despite enabling smbv1, various old protocols and ciphers, etc; so now it's running over USB 2.0 to p2v. Looks like it's going to be about 5 hours to finish, so I'll mess with it tomorrow.

-Mcoy
Old 07-29-2020, 06:26 PM
Sarnak

if you are using old hardware and old windows software, i would use a Linux os over old windows any day. if you are wondering about compatibility issues, there is almost none.

the wiki has a guide for you.
https://wiki.project1999.com/EverQuest_in_Linux_Guide
the winecfg can set your windows version to XP if you like but not necessary.
ubuntu and debian have recent releases that will support your hardware.

i am also using linux and i am willing to assist you in your adventure.
Last edited by xaix1999; 07-29-2020 at 06:29 PM.. Reason: willing to help