Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 02-15-2023, 08:45 AM
Kobold

Default Linux: Can't inspect items

Hi, I just installed EQ Project 1999 on Linux (Linux Mint with MATE as the UI)
It's running fine for the most part but I can't alt+click or right-click on items so there's no way for me to pull up the inspection window on an item.
I know that ALT itself is working in-game as when I hold down ALT the labels for the spell gems come up.
Old 02-15-2023, 12:29 PM
Planar Protector

FWIW I'm on Linux Mint (Cinnamon, but I used to use MATE, maybe 6 months ago) ... and I don't have this issue.

The only (kinda) related thing I have noticed is that sometimes when I switch between EQ and something else, the ALT key gets sort of stuck, and I have to press it again to get it unstuck (but until I figure that out I'm like "why is pressing my #1 hotkey casting a spell"?).

But that doesn't really help you. Maybe try playing with wincfg and switching to/from virtual desktop mode?

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 02-15-2023, 01:28 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
FWIW I'm on Linux Mint (Cinnamon, but I used to use MATE, maybe 6 months ago) ... and I don't have this issue.

The only (kinda) related thing I have noticed is that sometimes when I switch between EQ and something else, the ALT key gets sort of stuck, and I have to press it again to get it unstuck (but until I figure that out I'm like "why is pressing my #1 hotkey casting a spell"?).

But that doesn't really help you. Maybe try playing with wincfg and switching to/from virtual desktop mode?
Thanks, I tried the virtual desktop mode but it didn't change the behavior of the alt button. I think alt itself is being "caught" by the game because when I press it the text descriptions of spell slots come up, I just can't alt+click on an item to bring up the item details window.
Old 02-15-2023, 07:02 PM
Planar Protector

Is there any chance you have something else running that's intercepting the ALT key? I'd be curious to see: if you maybe try creating a new user, login is as them, and then try EQ, does it still happen?

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 02-16-2023, 12:11 AM
Decaying Skeleton

With right click you have to hold it down on an item, in case you were right clicking and immediately letting go.

As for alt + left click, you could check if your setup of linux is using that bind for some window function or otherwise. It could be for window drag or something else. You may have to disable that in order to use it within EQ. I've never had that issue myself.
Old 02-16-2023, 08:10 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Is there any chance you have something else running that's intercepting the ALT key? I'd be curious to see: if you maybe try creating a new user, login is as them, and then try EQ, does it still happen?
I don't think so, as I said the game is recognizing that I'm pressing alt, it's just that the combination alt+enter isn't working.

Maybe I'm not launching the game correctly? I was following a tutorial found somewhere on project1999.com:

#!/bin/bash
export WINEPREFIX=~/.wine/
cd ~/.wine/drive_c/games/eq
wine eqgame.exe patchme 2>/dev/null

I remember when I was running windows there was also an issue with multi-core processors and you had to add something to make the process have an affinity for just one core, I don't recall what the issues were but it's something I've been curious about.

This is a fresh install of Linux Mint, using Wine 6.0.3
Last edited by Divarin; 02-16-2023 at 08:29 AM..
Old 02-16-2023, 08:14 AM
Kobold

Ah I think I'm on to something I noticed if I hold down alt and click (keeping mouse clicked) then it puts it into a window dragging mode. so it's something about MATE which is intercepting that combination specifically to drag windows around. I'll try to see if I can disable that.
Old 02-16-2023, 08:29 AM
Kobold

Man I don't know what's wrong with this forum I've tried editing my last post like 3 times and each time it doesn't save so anyway here's the 4th time to try to follow up on this.

Okay yeah that was the issue where's what I did to fix it:
Start menu -> Preferences -> Windows -> Movement Key: Change from "Alt" to the other option: Super (or "Windows logo")
Old 02-16-2023, 12:45 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divarin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Man I don't know what's wrong with this forum I've tried editing my last post like 3 times and each time it doesn't save so anyway here's the 4th time to try to follow up on this.

Okay yeah that was the issue where's what I did to fix it:
Start menu -> Preferences -> Windows -> Movement Key: Change from "Alt" to the other option: Super (or "Windows logo")
Congrats!