Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Old 11-21-2023, 09:45 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swish [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I can echo this having played on a netbook about 8 years ago running Win8 and no real sign of a graphics card [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] ...versus a modern PC with modern components.
Yeah I'm sure just the onboard graphics chip on a low end laptop mobo can run vanilla-velious eq at like 120fps lol.

I will say one downside of playing on my old winxp machine is that the fps does start to chug on raids and in EC tunnel, but I'll take that anyday over constant crashing.
Old 12-03-2023, 04:39 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seducio [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
A couple things to try:

1. Right click eqgame.exe, click Compatibility tab, check box Run this program in compatibility mode for: (select) Windows XP (Service Pack 3).

2. Lower in Settings check box Run this program as an administrator.

The issues you have sometimes happen with people who have machines that are very high end. Try these two items to try and clear up what you are facing.

Lastly regarding UI. You have to camp out the 30 seconds to character select screen for your UI file to save. If you just /ex out or /q out or crash out then the UI changes don't save.

Good luck
kk will give it a try

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd288 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Are you running the game in windowed mode or in fullscreen?
Windowed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooloo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The fact that you have a top of the line PC might be a big part of the problem. New OS's and even hardware hate being forced to run old software, which p99 by definition will always be.

P99, by far, runs more stable on an old winxp machine I built in 2004 with some entry level nvidia card than it ever has on any of my more modern systems.
Yea, it is not just P99 buit all freeshard EQ servers. Strange though that EQ Live runs fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arvan [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
windowed mode stopped the crashing for me

I'm in Windowed mode

And I have an older Alienware Laptop, runs P99 just fine so it could be this monster of a PC I have.
Last edited by RPGrandPa; 12-03-2023 at 04:42 PM..
Old 12-03-2023, 04:45 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

The thing is start my p99 by clicking the batch file.
Old 12-03-2023, 04:49 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I log into character select, choose my character and click enter game and get this.
Old 12-03-2023, 05:29 PM
Aviak

Have you tried wineq2? Fixed most issues for me though it still crashes on camp
Old 12-03-2023, 07:05 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPGrandPa [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I log into character select, choose my character and click enter game and get this.
Change resolution(s) in eqclient.ini for fullscreen/windowed. Remember, it's a 4:3 game.

-Mcoy
Old 12-03-2023, 07:56 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

no change
Old 12-03-2023, 08:41 PM
Large Rat

I read somewhere that NVIDIA drivers cause lockups in P1999 green / blue, I was interested in upgrading my GPU so I decided to ditch geforce and bought an AMD radeon. I haven't crashed or locked up since. I do usually crash when I switch characters but most of the time i just /exit and deal with it.

No zone change crashes or mouse / keyboard lockups with AMD.

I don't play in windowed mode.

Sometimes when I need to get to the windows desktop to do something like edit an EQ screen shot in paint I get a crash, can't create device dialog box, but I learn to expect that to happen and don't try to do that while engaging mobs.
Old 12-04-2023, 12:26 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPGrandPa
Strange though that EQ Live runs fine.

EQ Live is now running a new 64bit client meant for newer CPUs. p99 runs the old Titanium client.
Old 12-04-2023, 09:27 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPGrandPa [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
no change
What did you set them to? Start small and work your way up... What's 1600x1200 windowed do?

-Mcoy