Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Priests

Old 01-25-2024, 03:56 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathsSilkyMist [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

This is bad advice, because you die quickly at level 60 when in dangerous zones. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjZxMlJSCDc - Torporing takes 3 minutes or less to get back to full HP/Mana. Running around a zone like WW at 80% HP just to try and justify your racial choice is just reckless, and will end up costing you more time when you need to make a corpse run.
Dude I said as a LEVELING SHAMAN. Not as a 60 shaman doing a hard solo kill.

Learn to fucking read. I addressed that scenario earlier in that post.

Jesus Christ
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...43&postcount=2

Old 01-25-2024, 04:01 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troxx [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Dude I said as a LEVELING SHAMAN. Not as a 60 shaman doing a hard solo kill.

Learn to fucking read. I addressed that scenario earlier in that post.

Jesus Christ
I already agreed that Regen is better while leveling:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathsSilkyMist [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Everybody agrees that Regen is better before Torpor. Everybody agrees you want to keep passive regeneration active before you get Torpor. That is not relevant to Min/Max discussions, where you have Torpor.
You keep talking off topic about leveling a Shaman in a Min/Max discussion. Leveling has nothing to do with what racial is objectively the best from a Min/Max perspective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troxx [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Once you have accomplished that you can get anything done even in scrub gear like mine. We have established that there is nothing an ogre or troll shaman can do that a barbarian can’t.
Irrelevant to the Min/Max discussion too. You can still determine which racial is objectively the best, with the understanding that it is not necessary.

Quote:
Min/max for shaman is being 60 and having torpor.
Correct. This is not a level 50 Shaman who is still leveling.
Last edited by DeathsSilkyMist; 01-25-2024 at 04:08 PM..
Old 01-25-2024, 04:19 PM
Planar Protector

Most of my post was about playing before torpor man. That efficient style of play needed when buffs need buffing, heals need healing, mobs need slowed, and juggling all those demands had us all canni-dancing to squeeze out every bit from med ticks we managed to catch.

You pointed out that being 80% health is dangerous and cited WW as an example (presume you’re talking dragon hunting)? That falls into the category of the times it’s important to be OCD I already addressed. If the situation calls for it - I’m making sure I’m topped off.

For grouping? Soloing? Not dangerous stuff? Being at 100/100 is not more efficient. It’s literally textbook less efficient.

Efficiency is a combination of getting stuff done and how hard you have to work to get that stuff done. Even at 60 if I hover 80/80 and you hover 100/100, we’re both going get the same shit done. You’re going to cast just as many buffs, debuffs, cc , and damaging spells as I am. I canni to keep up with the demands of the tempo while maintaining a big ass buffer for the oh crap moments.

The difference is that while the shaman who’s OCD about staying 100 will have a ton more actions per minute. Not 100% health? Oh fuck I gotta torpor. Now I gotta canni that mana back to be 100 again. Not 100% mana? Oh fuck must canni to full, torpor, then canni that mana back to 100?

Me? I’m content to sit below 100% mana as long as I have a buffer way larger than the situation calls for from an emergency standpoint. Not 100% health? Cool! As long as I’m not at risk from being lower than the safety threshold the situation calls for - I’m sipping away at the tasty racial regen and the regen spell, bard song or other regen passively rolling in.

That literally IS efficient play. You’re getting the same job done with a whole hell of a lot less click click click click click click clicking it sounds like you’re advocating for.

It’s not like you’re casting more spells than I am productively, you’re just casting more spells. When was the last time you simmered down and had a relaxed experience? Do you even bother to sit anymore?

You titrate your level of APM to what the situation calls for.

Then again maybe that’s what an Ogre without racial regen has to do to keep up?

Old 01-25-2024, 04:24 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Most of my post was about playing before torpor man.
Quote:
Min/max for shaman is being 60 and having torpor.
This is one big reason why your argument falls apart. You know what Min/Max is, and keep discussing leveling lol. You contradict yourself.

The rest of your post is just your preference on how you like to play. Nothing wrong with that, but it isn't Min/Max. If you just want to post your opinion, that is fine. But it isn't any evidence that supports Regen being better than FSI objectively speaking from a Min/Max perspective. Being at 100% HP/Mana out of combat is more efficient, because you are ready for anything that happens, especially when in raids or dangerous zones. It's quite easy to get to 100% HP/Mana with Torpor.

EDIT: Also, There was another thread where we already discussed APM on a Shaman. Iksar/Troll Regen saved around 1 APM if I recall right. It wasn't much more than that. Instead of 20 APM you did 19 APM I think, which isn't that much to begin with. I can dig up the post at some point if anyone is interested.
Last edited by DeathsSilkyMist; 01-25-2024 at 04:33 PM..
Old 01-25-2024, 04:32 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naethyn [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
We cannot declare another race bis because then all the bad players who think they are min maxing will start to play that like ogre warriors and iksar monks.
This is the best point made yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naethyn [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'd be upset too if a barbarian was the best shaman and I was really into shaman.
This also didn't get nearly enough love.
Last edited by bcbrown; 01-25-2024 at 04:35 PM..
Old 01-25-2024, 04:38 PM
Planar Protector

honestly the real argument for ogre is tuna ogre wall...and if you dont care about that basically every other race is better because aesthetics matter

thats about it
Old 01-25-2024, 04:43 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxigen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
honestly the real argument for ogre is tuna ogre wall...and if you dont care about that basically every other race is better because aesthetics matter

thats about it
Not everybody cares about Min/Max, which is perfectly fine. If you prefer fashion over function, racial choice doesn't matter. If you want to Min/Max and prefer function over fashion, Ogre is the Min/Max choice for Shamans.

It's really that simple. Let people know the facts so they can decide what they want to do.
Old 01-25-2024, 04:52 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxigen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

thats about it
Hehe that reminds of a Luclin encounter

https://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/npc.html?id=7230

Bear in mind we were all noobs then and the game wasn’t all figured out and online resources were anything but complete. He would blind and knock back the tank. You could get behind him and he’d fling you into a little wall there but sometimes you would get tossed beyond it.

The actual intended strategy was to keep curing the blind off the tank so they could reposition but we were light on priests. We had never read about it being done (ie the tunare strat) but we got the bright idea to just pile all the Ogres up in front of the wall and have the tank back dey ass up into the Ogres.

Made the encounter trivial. Ignore curing the tank and just plow it into the ground.

Fun times. We felt like geniuses.

Old 01-25-2024, 05:20 PM
Sarnak

1 + 2 / fart + FSI - regen^ butt-scratching idle animations (square root of negative toenails)@20%parity - 3.14 + tunare's sweaty shoe to the cosine'th power = my opinions are objective fact you're all equally wrong about everything you've ever stated or even thought about
Old 01-25-2024, 07:07 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:

thats about it
Ogre wall 100% the only racial that consistently makes or breaks raids, except maybe stealth skilled clerics and gnome sized coth.

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXXI Dung