Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 09:25 AM
Large Rat

Default New Player!

hey guys!

just about to enter the game,but im not sure what to play [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I really like grouping,so i usually pick a role were a certain class is needed,but there are various tank/healer types on here that makes it a bit hard to decide on.

What would you all recommend for a first-time player? I will probably end up focusing on this character as my main toon
Old 08-30-2011, 09:27 AM
Kobold

Clerics are always needed/wanted. I was sitting in the tunnel this morning and got two tells asking if I needed a group.

Ex-Tholuxe Paells player - "Vexikuri & Nytewind" Shout out to Bascome, Naur, Equable, Nizzi, Maynarrd, Daesean, Waggs, Cidz, & others... RIP Vino...
Old 08-30-2011, 09:38 AM
Planar Protector

We get this question a lot, and a player who really enjoys their class is more useful than a player willing to play a class they may not like as much just to get groups...

Play what you like. If you're absolutely indifferent, cleric or tank is prolly the way to go. Bard/Chanter fill the CC roles and are also extremely group friendly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumbledorf View Post
I'll look into getting it changed to The Secret Order of the Silver Rose of Truth and Dragons.
Old 08-30-2011, 09:40 AM
Planar Protector

If you want to easily find groups, pick a class that easily fits into one of the three archetypes:

Healer: Your only option really is cleric. Shaman can easily get groups at the higher end, but they take some time to come into their own. Most groups fly without a shaman, very few groups fly without a cleric. It's also a bit easier to learn/manage a cleric than a shaman.

Tank: Your choice between warrior and hybrid (SK/Pally). Other than the experience penalty, hybrid tanks are more friendly to newer / casual players. This is because warriors have to manage their money if they have no start up funds, and do some searching for gear, especially early aggro weapons (such as obsidian shards). Hybrid tanks have the convenience of generating aggro through spells, so you have a better chance of not disappointing a group.

DPS: At the lower end, most people will want a caster such as a magician or necromancer. This is because the pets do very good damage compared to the low end weapons most people will be carrying. At the high end however, rogues never have trouble finding groups. Monk is also viable, but you'll be expected to pull which is a special skill that has to be learned/practiced.

TLDR: For a first time player who wants to be welcome into groups, figure out what role you want to take. If you want to sit back and buff/heal, choose cleric. If you want to be tanking some mobs in the face, go with SK or Paladin (possibly warrior). If you want to avoid and deal damage, go rogue.

lol wut
Old 08-30-2011, 09:42 AM
Fire Giant

First time players often can benefit from playing a druid. I am not sure what your background in gaming is but my wife started with a Paladin and wasn't too thrilled with that, she then tried a druid and really enjoyed it. She also had a lot of fun starting up a mage. I think the druid was a good choice for a new player to the game as it allowed melee and casting spells.
Clerics are always a good choice but you need to be content to spend a lot of time sitting and watching the group's HP bars. There are other aspects tot a cleric's life but thesis a big part of it.
-----------------------
Old 08-30-2011, 09:58 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striiker [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
First time players often can benefit from playing a druid. I am not sure what your background in gaming is but my wife started with a Paladin and wasn't too thrilled with that, she then tried a druid and really enjoyed it. She also had a lot of fun starting up a mage. I think the druid was a good choice for a new player to the game as it allowed melee and casting spells.
Clerics are always a good choice but you need to be content to spend a lot of time sitting and watching the group's HP bars. There are other aspects tot a cleric's life but thesis a big part of it.
If you really like grouping, don't choose druid, as they are one of the least group-desired classes around.
Need a port or a rez? Hit me up on IRC!
Old 08-30-2011, 10:03 AM
Large Rat

I decided with a cleric [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I'm currently in-game atm. name is Alyune
Old 08-30-2011, 10:17 AM
Banned

welcome!
Old 08-30-2011, 11:10 AM
Large Rat

Eh,maybe not. I think I will go with a paladin instead. for some background,I did play EQ1,but i was a warrior,so i have some idea of tanking. Plus,I never really tried a paladin before!

So! I made a human paladin,Galathel,hehe :P
Old 08-30-2011, 12:17 PM
Sarnak

Good luck!
Closed Thread