Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 11:28 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitchens [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
"If an armed citizenry becomes a danger to itself, the purpose of arming them for safety is pointless." - Andrew Jackson
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 12-20-2012, 12:14 PM
Skeleton

“The most foolish mistake we could possibly make would be to allow the subjected people to carry arms. History shows that all conquerors who have allowed their subjected peoples to carry arms have prepared their own downfall by so doing.”
Adolph Hitler, Edict of March 18, 1938
Old 12-20-2012, 12:25 PM
Aviak

so if I'm being assaulted, I'm actually safer if I don't have a gun to protect myself? fucking derp.
Old 12-20-2012, 12:46 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

You can ban all the guns you want. You can try to fight guns all you want. People kill people, not guns, and no matter how many of them are banned or how many laws in place two things WILL continue to happen:

1. People WILL buy guns.
2. Kids and other people WILL die to some of these guns. P E R I O D.

Want an example? See the war on drugs. Real successful l0l.
Old 12-20-2012, 12:47 PM
Project Manager

My gun keeps me safer than my sword.

I was raised around guns. They are a tool. Some might say a tool of death, and I wouldn't disagree. But just like a sword is used to cut, a gun is used to shoot.

If somehow all guns and the technology used to make them were to vanish, I'd be cool with that. Since that won't happen, I won't put myself at a disadvantage of not having one.
Old 12-20-2012, 12:49 PM
Fire Giant

ID RATHER HAVE IT AND NOT NEED IT THEN NEED IT AND NOT HAVE IT.
MassiveMarc: Then we will poopsock in the shade.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nizzarr View Post
Vox was tanked by hughman in plain sight, we found out that the bard could attack tru the wall there(more lucky than exploit) and we just pilled everyone there.
Old 12-20-2012, 03:46 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feeder [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You can ban all the guns you want. You can try to fight guns all you want. People kill people, not guns, and no matter how many of them are banned or how many laws in place two things WILL continue to happen:

1. People WILL buy guns.
2. Kids and other people WILL die to some of these guns. P E R I O D.

Want an example? See the war on drugs. Real successful l0l.
Platitudes and horrible analogies typically don't make good arguments. Not being able to legally buy a gun is a significant deterrent to buying a gun by other means. Not everyone has connections to the black market or wants to even be associated with those sorts of people.

Also, unlike drugs, you can't as easily make a functional firearm in your own basement. Your analogy is weak because drug dealers actually benefit from prohibition, since they can make these substances themselves and sell them without competition or regulation from the government. Basically the only reason you would want to buy drugs from a sketchy dealer if drugs were legal, is if you were underage or had some other attribute that would disqualify you from buying drugs from a licensed seller. In that case you still probably wouldn't assume the risk since the price would be markedly higher and the drugs would be much less safe. With guns though, black markets still persist even when they're legal, because people want to circumvent background checks and make it easier to murder people without the bullet being traced to a registered weapon. Also, it's easier for illegitimate sellers to obtain guns to sell in the first place if they're legal, since (a) they can steal them from legitimate owners, and (b) they can get somebody else to buy it for them legally. If there's no avenue by which you can buy guns legally, you actually hurt the black market for guns a lot more. The opposite is true of drugs.

Even if criminals could still obtain guns illegally, this would mostly affect premeditated crimes. Cases where people are shot accidentally or out of impulse wouldn't happen nearly as often. These kinds of gun crimes are likely in the majority in the US, and there are FBI statistics supporting this. You can try to make whatever logical inferences, analogies, and thought experiments you want, but all of the empirical evidence shows that more accessibility to guns leads to more violent crime.
Lardna Minch, 18 Warrior

Project 1999 (PvP):
[50 (sometimes 49) Bard] Wolfram Alpha (Half Elf) ZONE: oasis
Old 12-20-2012, 03:58 PM
Skeleton

Actually every study shows more guns less crime. CA has highest amount of homicide and most gun control.

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr...es/10tbl20.xls
Old 12-20-2012, 03:58 PM
Skeleton

If we didn't need guns we also wouldn't need locks on our doors.
Old 12-21-2012, 11:18 AM
Banned

..or just buy a gun.
Closed Thread