Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 08:04 PM
Kobold

I like to group when I can. But have a newborn at home now so kind of making the move over to playing more soloable classes.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:11 PM
Sarnak

I've leveld a shaman, a druid, and a necro to 60 on this server, both completely solo (with a few exceptions where I took a group here or there.)
I can say from experience:
A) soloing as a shaman/druid/necro = way faster xp than with a group.
B) If you solo the right mobs, u make more money than compared to a group.
C) You have way more control(eg. fewer random, 'oops train' incidents.)
D) You can stop whenever you want, no finding a replacement.

There really is no downside. You level faster, you make more plat, you have complete control over your play periods. So really, the default question (at least for sham/dru/necro) is 'Why would you group?'
Last edited by kenzar; 03-04-2013 at 08:16 PM..
Old 03-04-2013, 08:19 PM
Planar Protector

The only downsides I can see to soloing are 1) you do limit your chance of meeting new people to /friend and 2) you miss out on the "group dynamic."

Imo those downsides to soloing are VASTLY outweighed by the perks, most of which have been mentioned already in this thread, especially since you can mitigate/eliminate #1 by joining a guild and you can still join a group when you want to to get your fix of #2.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:41 PM
Large Rat

I think the biggest problem is that as it is, grouping is much worse EXP than soloing. The Group bonus is absolutely horrendous on this server and I am not sure if that is what it was on classic or not, but either way it makes grouping pretty much pointless for the most part.

It's sad as I would much rather group than solo but if I can get a ton more exp soloing then there is little incentive for grouping.

P99 needs to up the group bonus significantly or grouping will never be as viable as soloing - At this time the group bonus in Live EQ is 20% per member and the 6th person in the group doesn't take a share of the exp in the group. Last I read P99's group bonus capped at like 36% or something which is somewhat comical.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:04 PM
Planar Protector

I don't like the group bonus. It's a crutch that makes shitty groups a good place to earn xp. Full groups are generally crappy on this server because 1) the group has a bad composition, 2) the group members aren't using their abilities very well, and 3) the group is in a bad location.

A group full of hybrids sucking up xp, or that has a couple wizards DPSing, or that has a cleric healer when CHing is unnecessary? You're gonna have crappy xp.

A group with necros/druids/enchanters who aren't charming, or with warrior DPS but he's not zerking, or with bards only twisting a couple songs, or with people AFKing frequently? You're gonna have crappy xp.

A group of 6 in LCY? You're gonna have crappy xp.

The solution shouldn't be to give out free xp to people who are willing to join big groups, the solution is to play smarter and then laugh at the people who don't. Some xp bonus for groups is fine, imo, but live EQ's xp bonus is just like the rest of live EQ... catering to people who have already done it all and will quit if they can't PL their 14th alt to max level in 1 week while AFK 99% of the time.
Last edited by Tecmos Deception; 03-04-2013 at 10:08 PM..
Old 03-04-2013, 10:17 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

I rarely group. XP, loot, and convenience are all better solo, as others have said.

I think part of the social appeal of EQ is not the grouping per se, but the vanity. I was going to pick up a new single-player RPG to play, but I figured I might as well play a game where I could show off the stuff I had achieved. That, and sometimes single-player RPGs are rather lonely endeavors.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:55 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecmos Deception [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I don't like the group bonus. It's a crutch that makes shitty groups a good place to earn xp. Full groups are generally crappy on this server because 1) the group has a bad composition, 2) the group members aren't using their abilities very well, and 3) the group is in a bad location.

A group full of hybrids sucking up xp, or that has a couple wizards DPSing, or that has a cleric healer when CHing is unnecessary? You're gonna have crappy xp.

A group with necros/druids/enchanters who aren't charming, or with warrior DPS but he's not zerking, or with bards only twisting a couple songs, or with people AFKing frequently? You're gonna have crappy xp.

The solution shouldn't be to give out free xp to people who are willing to join big groups, the solution is to play smarter and then laugh at the people who don't. Some xp bonus for groups is fine, imo, but live EQ's xp bonus is just like the rest of live EQ... catering to people who have already done it all and will quit if they can't PL their 14th alt to max level in 1 week while AFK 99% of the time.
I don't understand people with your mindset at all in EQ. I've never really given a shit if a group is slower xp because I'm going to be doing the same shit at 60 that I'm doing now, I just won't also have the incentive of an orange bar moving. I guess maybe I can solo a few things I can't now, but really, that's just the same thing with a different name.

I'd rather be in a fun group slowly crawling a dungeon or doing something really dangerous than aoe grouping in almost all situations - and I will actively look for aoe groups because I think they're a blast. I like to group that much, that I've turned down really fun, really fast xp for something that sounded more interactive.

I don't have a problem with the min/max speedrush crowd, enjoy the game however you want, but I just don't get you.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:59 AM
Sarnak

Simple, besides many of the points previously stated, I deal with massive amounts of people in RL, so why the hell do I want to do the same in my virtual life?

The game may have been designed for the basement dwelling crowd that has limited social interaction in the real world to facilitate them making "friends" in the virtual world, but fact is I don't need it. I play EQ because I like the game, not because I want to find "friends" from grouping. My virtual friends are my guildmates who are usually the only folks you will find me grouped with when the mood strickes me.
Old 03-05-2013, 01:29 AM
Kobold

Sometimes I want to putter around the house doing chores or whatnot, so I solo.
I generally save my grouping for prime time. Yeah, you run into all kinds of levels of play skill, but if I joined the perfect group I would ruin it by being there.

I have always called this game "False Sense of Accomplishment" so I really could care less about speeding to cap. Why race to the stop sign? I have been uber, I have been super PVP man, I have done pretty much everything you can do in a MMO, so I am over all that. I find enjoyment in being the best I can be at my class.

If someone I am grouping with isn't MAXIMIZING the xp intake, I really don't care. Personality > "Use to Me" every time. If I joined a group and someone started cracking the whip on me, I would find my way back out of it fast. This is a game, not my self-esteem.

- Brimacombe
Old 03-05-2013, 01:42 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecmos Deception [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Virgin detected.
Closed Thread