Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 09-24-2015, 03:14 PM
Skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBiznessTZ [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
so you're saying play swgemu.com and not this NGE one?

Edit: can you tell me why NGE killed the game?
It didn't kill the game, a lot of people just were super closed minded and mostly hurt that they lost their Alpha class Jedi. For everyone else it added tons of content that was actually enjoyable.
Old 09-24-2015, 03:19 PM
Skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiewon Shu [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So you literally had many combinations to play and no one was really a cookie cutter template.

The NGE however, got rid of most of the professions and combined them into about 6-8 new "cookie-cutter" classes. You could not master more than one profession, you only could advance on the class offered at creation.
Entirely not true, there were only a few viable highend non jedi PvE/PvP builds in pre cu so there was still plenty of "cookie cutter" going on. Just because you could be a karate chef didn't mean you were going to be killing a player Jedi or a Krayt dragon anytime soon.

The update made alot of the classes like Smuggler,BH, Officer(lol precu Squadleader afk in a house) alot more fun overall. And you could still master every profession with 1 character just as in precu you just had to go to the class trainer and switch!
Last edited by Azro; 09-24-2015 at 03:32 PM..
Old 09-24-2015, 03:25 PM
Skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Japan [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
There was a random chance to be Force Sensitive and long quest involved in becoming a jedi originally, which was actually really cool but like most good points in intellectual properties owned by semitics it was transmuted into shit by the power of Abraham. Transition from skill based leveling system to level-based WoW/EQ clone, and I believe the combat system itself was murdered with a hatchet as well.
This is why most people like this version, the mystery of Jedi. There is no more mystery everyone and their brother/sister will be Jedi.

The combat system pre cu is so slow it reminds me of runescape with an added combat ability Que system.
Old 09-24-2015, 03:28 PM
Skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBiznessTZ [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
so you're saying play swgemu.com and not this NGE one?

Edit: can you tell me why NGE killed the game?
I would try out both honestly especially since you never played either. The NGE one is still in test so it will be wiped for live and so will SWGemu be wiped once it goes 1.0.
Old 09-24-2015, 03:28 PM
Planar Protector

Speaking of the original Jedi class, there are Youtube videos shows just how OP Jedis were.

I am talking about once you become a Jedi padawan, knight and then master, if you died, you are perma dead.

I don't recall seeing a Master jedi back in the day, but I remember seeing a knight and fools that actually thought they could gang up and kill him.

This is before ...umm combine armor, or whatever it was that made lightsabers useless to the person who had the armor.
Old 09-24-2015, 03:47 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azro [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Entirely not true, there were only a few viable highend non jedi PvE/PvP builds in pre cu so there was still plenty of "cookie cutter" going on...
If you want to explain it from a min-max PvP point of view, sure. But most people who played SWG played for the PvE portion of the game where there was no lack of interesting profession combinations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azro [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The update made alot of the classes like Smuggler,BH, Officer(lol precu Squadleader afk in a house) alot more fun overall. And you could still master every profession with 1 character just as in precu you just had to go to the class trainer and switch!
The NGE update trivialized the professions and dumbed them down so a half brained chimpanzee could play SWG. Yes you could switch professions, but you could only ever be one profession.
Moollah Muckwater, Swamp Hag, 4th Eye of Fear
Old 09-24-2015, 03:52 PM
Skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viscian [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Original SWG you had like 32(?) professions to Master. Your character was set at creation to needing a specific 5 Master professions to Unlock Jedi.. You could get a Holocron which would tell you 1 profession needed.. ( sucked when it told you a profession you've already Mastered.

There were different patches known a publications that changed the game play. You have Pre-pub 9 which the SWGemu is offering ( AMAZING), The CU( combat upgrade), which wasn't tooo bad. Then the AWEFUL NGE (New Game Enhancement). The NGE allowed you to start off as a Jedi and only allowed you to pick like 6(?) specific classes. Also changed the gameplay mechanics completely. It would be like buying, playing EQ then after Kunark the next expansion made it EQ2. It was totally different game.

It was like EQ as far as community driven, i.e, cantinas, player housing, player cities, player auction terminals, and all around amazing social aspect.

Jump to lightspeed expansion I felt was amazing.

NGE was sony/lucas arts trying to compete with WoW. Making the game easier to obtain Jedi. The whole instant gratification instead of months Mastering professions, unlearning and relearning them.. Then once you became a Jedi in pre-pub 9. Perma deaths. It was amazing. CU era wasn't bad, but took away perma deaths and brought forth "Fight Clubs"

The main issues with the game was never really knowing what gave you visibility and put you on the BH terminals and after being killed, you'd still be on them. Some things was a given for visibility. Like equipping your lightsaber and robes and having a battle in the middle of Naboo. The hardest part was you had to level in secrecy to not gain visibility to be put on the BH terminals.
Basically the mystery was what was alluring in the beginning of the game, and it was super exciting when everyone didn't know how everything worked. But they do know now so it to me has lost its appeal(precu version). And the people that hate NGE were those alpha jedi that didn't feel like relearning how to be viable again(for the most part).
Old 09-24-2015, 04:00 PM
Skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiewon Shu [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If you want to explain it from a min-max PvP point of view, sure. But most people who played SWG played for the PvE portion of the game where there was no lack of interesting profession combinations.

The NGE update trivialized the professions and dumbed them down so a half brained chimpanzee could play SWG. Yes you could switch professions, but you could only ever be one profession.
The PvE portion of the game almost required more min maxing than PvP. If you mean they could stand around a city and run the same terminal missions as a karate chef then sure you could be one of those "interesting profession combinations" but if they actually wanted to be a useful part of a group they needed certain "cookie cutter" abilities anyways.

Dumbed down professions huh? When I play precu versions I usually spam 1-4 combat abilities, spam aoe attacks or specfic pool hits and throw in an occaisional heal. I think a chimp could do this.
Old 09-24-2015, 04:27 PM
Fire Giant

Arzo are you seriously just upset because you couldn't ever become a jedi or something? There was huge risks in being a Jedi, Bounty hunters constantly hunting you for a million credits, of course they were OP but umm, have you ever seen the movies? It was legitimate due to needing to be a huge neckbeard to become a jedi and ever level up as one. If you were a min maxer there was probably yeah a good 8-10 profession combinations you could do to SOLO/DUO high end content, but back in the day this didn't matter, we did "high end content" with whoever wanted to come, we'd have people that were master musician and master fencer, they could still do work, god forbid they didn't have doctor to heal themselves or others. Noone cared, a master fencer with master musician or architech did the same DPS as a master fencer/master doctor etc.

You say it didn't kill the game but it INDEED did kill the game, please go look at subscription numbers, HUGE decrease with NGE, why? Because everyone was just a fucking jedi and everyone was the same, because of "balance" no one gave a shit if you had a agent in a group over a jedi, they did the same damage etc. I remember logging in my jedi, them giving me the option to be a lvl 60 of whatever class I wanted due to the NGE, and I clicked jedi hit 2-3 mobs, and logged out never to log him in again. Played with a few different new characters and it was literally WoW with star wars look/monsters and very poorly done compared to the insanely beautiful/immersive/unique game it was before.
Old 09-24-2015, 04:37 PM
Skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efwan [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Arzo are you seriously just upset because you couldn't ever become a jedi or something? There was huge risks in being a Jedi, Bounty hunters constantly hunting you for a million credits, of course they were OP but umm, have you ever seen the movies? It was legitimate due to needing to be a huge neckbeard to become a jedi and ever level up as one. If you were a min maxer there was probably yeah a good 8-10 profession combinations you could do to SOLO/DUO high end content, but back in the day this didn't matter, we did "high end content" with whoever wanted to come, we'd have people that were master musician and master fencer, they could still do work, god forbid they didn't have doctor to heal themselves or others. Noone cared, a master fencer with master musician or architech did the same DPS as a master fencer/master doctor etc.

You say it didn't kill the game but it INDEED did kill the game, please go look at subscription numbers, HUGE decrease with NGE, why? Because everyone was just a fucking jedi and everyone was the same, because of "balance" no one gave a shit if you had a agent in a group over a jedi, they did the same damage etc. I remember logging in my jedi, them giving me the option to be a lvl 60 of whatever class I wanted due to the NGE, and I clicked jedi hit 2-3 mobs, and logged out never to log him in again. Played with a few different new characters and it was literally WoW with star wars look/monsters and very poorly done compared to the insanely beautiful/immersive/unique game it was before.
The only thing that looks upset is your wall of text.

Like I said most people that didn't like this version were people like you that didn't even really try it. Your whole last bit of the text wall proves this. The only reason it was immersive before was the mystery, there is no mystery anymore. So many of the preCu servers now have started adding in all sorts of Mobs/Items from the era of NGE , why is this you think? content a little thin?
Last edited by Azro; 09-24-2015 at 04:40 PM..
Closed Thread