Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 05-18-2016, 01:57 PM
Sarnak

Cleric, hands down.
Old 05-18-2016, 02:40 PM
Planar Protector

I am curious why Cleric vs Shaman or Druid. Other than Complete Heal, aren't their healing capabilities the same. Will Complete Heal be used on pets or casters? Rez while nice, not really a consideration. Buffs, I think Shaman/Druid offer more or equal. And Utlity Shaman/Druid easily win. So to me it comes down to is Complete Heal more valuable than the utility Shaman/Druid has. Unless I am missing something a Cleric brings to a group.
Old 05-18-2016, 03:41 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by eqravenprince [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I am curious why Cleric vs Shaman or Druid. Other than Complete Heal, aren't their healing capabilities the same. Will Complete Heal be used on pets or casters? Rez while nice, not really a consideration. Buffs, I think Shaman/Druid offer more or equal. And Utlity Shaman/Druid easily win. So to me it comes down to is Complete Heal more valuable than the utility Shaman/Druid has. Unless I am missing something a Cleric brings to a group.
I mained a cleric in live and my brother an enchanter.

Cleric get the same spell level heals a little bit sooner than dru/shm. However, you will indeed see use from CH for the charmed pet from time-to-time, lvl 39+. possibly the mage pets too; but more likely the charmed pet. CH is hand's down the most efficient way to heal all that lost HP... and if you can keep the charmed pet(s) churning, so will the exp/loot.

That being said, their are other ways, too... Like drop charm / mez and let the NPC heal itself (npc's mezzed used to get like 5% hp back per tick in live or something , i assume its same here)

druid/shaman get the same heals at the same levels. Shaman (IMO) is a more efficient healer than druid because of Canni; otherwise their heal ability is equal.

a dru/shm can probably main heal your group all the way.. but a Cleric will make a huge difference on the high priority targets in the late-game; whereas a dru/shm might struggle to heal through the same encounter.

the main thing I would take into consideration if I was in your shoes, is understand that Cleric can be BORING. literally All you're really good at is healing.... at least if you go dru/shm you have access to their other respective utilities.

just my 2c.
Old 05-18-2016, 03:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by eqravenprince [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
1) Rez is always a consideration - why would it not be? Best spell in the game
2) Charm pets have huge life pools – healing them with anything but CH is semi retarded
3) Cleric buffs are better than Druid and Shaman buffs for casters – not even close in my opinion with Symbol and HB
4) Druid and Shaman utility is largely covered by the chanter and mage. Mage DS is best in game, Chanter haste and slows cover the shaman. SoW I guess? Get J boots…

Rez/HP buffs/CH/DA are pretty huge to bring to a group, not sure what else you would be looking for.
Old 05-18-2016, 04:23 PM
Planar Protector

Cleric+Enchanter is one of the most powerful combos in the game.
Add a mage for extra dps. This is a trio that can go through any dungeon.

Shm+Ench is also a powerful combo, quite a bit of overlap though. Not that, that is a bad thing.

Mage is pure dps and fits in any group dynamic that needs dps, food/water, mod rods, bags of holding, ultravision, levitate clickie.

Go with cleric or shm.
I'd only bring a necro or druid into the mix as a fourth. Or replacement for the mage as they have more utility spells but less dps.

With the Enchanters clarity you'll have a mage that can spam nukes with a summoned pet to off tank/backstab and cleric that can spam complete heals and a charmed pet to tank. That sounds amazing.
Told this to Rogean, Nilbog & Menden.
Last edited by Baler; 05-18-2016 at 04:26 PM..
Old 05-18-2016, 04:24 PM
Planar Protector

I would say druid or cleric

Having ports is easily going to save you time and money. Not to mention their snare is awesome for keeping mobs in control and keeping chanter with charm pet alive. Druids can also buff/heal decently and can root CC very well. I guess what it really comes down to for me between cleric and druid is that either way you'll be spending time seeking one or the other out fairly often.

If you don't have a druid, you'll need ports (plus having sow itself will save you a lot of deaths and time.) If you don't have a cleric however, you will find yourself looking for rezzes inevitably.
Blueberrii - 60 Mage
Gigglepurr - 60 Shaman
Kids - 60 Rogue
Fornfamnad - 60 Cleric
Old 05-18-2016, 08:39 PM
Kobold

Quote:
I am curious why Cleric vs Shaman or Druid. Other than Complete Heal, aren't their healing capabilities the same.
No, they are not. Clerics get their heal spells much earlier than the other two. For example, Clerics get Superior Healing at 34, where as druids get it at 51. I played a druid, only being able to heal for 250 till 51 is brutal.( if you are just talking end-game, ignore this then) And yeah, not to mention complete heal. If you have an enchanter already, the benefit of buffs from a druid or shaman will not be as significant when your chanter is charming powerful mobs and can already haste.
Last edited by Aandolaf; 05-18-2016 at 08:44 PM..
Old 05-18-2016, 09:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aandolaf [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
No, they are not. Clerics get their heal spells much earlier than the other two. For example, Clerics get Superior Healing at 34, where as druids get it at 51. I played a druid, only being able to heal for 250 till 51 is brutal.( if you are just talking end-game, ignore this then) And yeah, not to mention complete heal. If you have an enchanter already, the benefit of buffs from a druid or shaman will not be as significant when your chanter is charming powerful mobs and can already haste.
QFT

In later expansions they made druids, shamans, and even paladins more on par with clerics; but Cleric is really the only class that is always a viable healer leveling in classic. There is a sweet spot around level 34 or something. But it goes downhill by 40 or so (until late game).
Old 05-19-2016, 08:16 AM
Banned

The enchanter pet is going to be tanking.

Healing an enchanter pet with anything other than CH is horribly inefficient.

Go cleric...you won't be disappointed.
Old 05-19-2016, 08:24 AM
Planar Protector

My opinion would be that gtting around is not that big of dal since this srver has a healthy "porting population" that would b a bigger concern on say a neer server or one without much of a player population. So lets toss druid out. Shaman is mostly redundant here due to enchanter's slow ability.

Basically it's down to necro or cleric. I think the necro will give youa faste killing and more versatile group.he necro will certainly help the enchanter out a lot, thouhh, taking some of the pressure off of him/her. You are asking a lot of your enchanter otherwise without a necro supporting them a bit. But you will have cleric heals/bufs to smooth out the bumps/resists aggro. The enchanter is going to need to be a very good one for this group to work with high efficiency.

While cleric has higher "group potential" for the very end game, the question is would rather have a better/more versatile group for the majority of your leveling days or a stronger one later when "dings" are no longer a concern for you.
Closed Thread