Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 10:13 AM
Decaying Skeleton

Default Where is the EULA for Dsetup.dll?

With the latest patch introduced a poorly written DLL file (Dsetup.dll) that sends packets from the client to somewhere else containing resource information of the computer running it.

I'm just curious where the EULA for this DLL is?
Old 01-08-2013, 10:34 AM
Project Manager

I'm curious where the purchaser is?

dsetup.dll is provided for free. You're not a customer.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:55 AM
Planar Protector

lol'd
Old 01-08-2013, 11:11 AM
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by softwaremalpractice [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
With the latest patch introduced a poorly written DLL file (Dsetup.dll) that sends packets from the client to somewhere else containing resource information of the computer running it.

I'm just curious where the EULA for this DLL is?
You must be confused because our files don't do that [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Go back to whoever is feeding you misinformation.

Project 1999 Setup Guide
Old 01-08-2013, 11:19 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogean [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You must be confused because our files don't do that [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Go back to whoever is feeding you misinformation.
Rog!!
Old 01-08-2013, 11:28 AM
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itap [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Rog!!
wut

Project 1999 Setup Guide
Old 01-08-2013, 11:37 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogean [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
wut
I haven't seen you around here in a coons age [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 01-08-2013, 11:38 AM
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

yea nilbog linked me this thread to get a lulz

Project 1999 Setup Guide
Old 01-08-2013, 11:43 AM
Orc

Smile

Quote:
wut
Not trying to troll here, but doesn't dsetup.dll read the unique BIOS strings of the system and attempt to detect if its running in a wine or virtualbox environment? The dsetup.dll has also been packaged with a packer that encrypts the contents of the dll and kills EQ if it detects a debugger running.

I suspect your purposes for doing some of these things are to catch 2 boxers and cheaters, modify game functionality to make it more classic, and prevent AV from misdetecting this as malware. I tend to agree that a EULA is ridiculous for a free project such as this.

I was always under the impression that some data was being sent back -- are you saying it is in fact not?

Also, thanks for all of the effort and resources you put into this project. People give you guys too much of a hard time. And thanks for the glimpses you provide sometimes into the inner workings of the game -- they are educational for us all.
Old 01-08-2013, 12:10 PM
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raemius [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Not trying to troll here, but doesn't dsetup.dll read the unique BIOS strings of the system and attempt to detect if its running in a wine or virtualbox environment?
Nope. Doesn't do anything even remotely close to that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raemius [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The dsetup.dll has also been packaged with a packer that encrypts the contents of the dll and kills EQ if it detects a debugger running.
This is true, one of the ways people try to circumvent the DLL is by using debuggers to see the call stacks and the way that our DLL interacts with the EQ process, among other reasons that someone would use a debugger on the client, the majority of those reasons are malicious. And yes, the contents are encrypted, that is a no brainer.. if they weren't it would be cracked/bypassed within minutes.

Quote:
I was always under the impression that some data was being sent back -- are you saying it is in fact not?
The way most third party programs work is by injecting themselves into the client. When our DLL detects this occur, information about all the modules loaded into the EQ client get logged and sent. Let me be clear that it is only the modules loaded into the game itself that are sent. This is contained within the EQ Process.

Other than that, the only information that is sent on a regular basis would be hardware ID's that we can use to distinguish your computer from anyone else's. This helps us deter two boxing and track down hackers, dupers, RMT, and etc even if they change their external IP address, which is a common occurance. These ID's are arbitrary and do not personally identify you in any way.

To be honest, more information could be gained from the public IP address you use to access anything and everything, than we could get from anything the DLL sends us.

Project 1999 Setup Guide
Closed Thread