Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 07-28-2016, 09:02 PM
Sarnak

Unhappy Swarm lag - explain like I'm five...

So,

Someone is swarming at the moment in LOIO. That's fine, it sucks to do it at primetime and also have the courier PH mobs trapped in the swarm, but hey, they can play how they want at lvl 17 trailing lvl 20 mobs for 30+ minutes...

Currently, I [my client] am around 5 minutes behind; in that I cast a spell and am waiting 5 minutes until the spell hits. Last time my client caught up I was being attacked by an icebone skellie, which came as a surprise.

I am on a wired, synchronous 200Mbps connection with the following speedtest:

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5511637564

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I replied to someone at 49 minutes past the hour and it's now 01 minutes past the next hour and I still can't see my reply as being sent.

My connection status shows '100% - 295ms', which is usual for Australia, but anytime I am in a zone with swarming, it all goes to shit in that I can't sit, camp, cast, do anything.

Even on home connection which is 100/40 I get it, but to get it on a 200Mbps synchronous link just sucks.

My question is, why does my client lag out / desync (not sure what the correct term is here)?

(edit: just got disconnected after 15 minutes of being able to do nothing)
Last edited by Senn; 07-28-2016 at 09:04 PM.. Reason: and disconnected
Old 07-28-2016, 09:10 PM
Sarnak

And just got back in to find myself dead, naked, missing xp and no clue where my corpse is. Brilliant...
Old 07-28-2016, 09:13 PM
Fire Giant

Send a message via ICQ to applesauce25r624 Send a message via AIM to applesauce25r624

explanation: shit is classic
Old 07-28-2016, 09:28 PM
Planar Protector

Anyone else ever lag going up the Kelethin lifts back in 1999, or did I suffer that alone?
Old 07-28-2016, 09:30 PM
Planar Protector

Lake of Ill Omen and Dreadlands cause unusual lag unlike other zones when bards kite. I don't know why. It doesn't affect all players either.
Old 07-28-2016, 11:16 PM
Planar Protector

You in australia you say? Well the servers are roughly 10,500 miles away from you. Packets get screwed up traveling that distance.
Old 07-29-2016, 12:27 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by quido [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
it's called a desync and you're stupid to try to wait it out
Thanks for that, Einstein. Given that I can't /camp or do anything, what's the go? I just end task on eqgame.exe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zanderklocke [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Lake of Ill Omen and Dreadlands cause unusual lag unlike other zones when bards kite. I don't know why. It doesn't affect all players either.
I'm wondering if there is anything I can do to mitigate the desync in the first place when a bard is swarming in a zone I happen to be in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thulack [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You in australia you say? Well the servers are roughly 10,500 miles away from you. Packets get screwed up traveling that distance.
I figured this too, but then I don't show any packet loss in the status meter. I guess all the packets arrive but just in completely the wrong order.

Ho hum, thanks for the replies all.
Old 07-29-2016, 01:20 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Probably not much you can do but end task the game or see if /q will work. Go to zones they can't swarm like Guk. Has a high ZEM and really cool anyways. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 07-29-2016, 06:59 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by quido [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm an expert on packets and you should definitely try running to a zone line and plugging.

If the problem continues, reroll.

quido provides the very best comments. Top quality, very highly educated. You would do well to heed his advice.
Old 07-29-2016, 07:09 AM
Fire Giant

Send a message via AIM to Laugher

/ex quickest way out without task mgr

I had typed out why this happens in particular but desync explains it probably better in in 1 word; basically, the client missed the bus because it was too busy staring at the other inc server traffic and there won't be another.