Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 12:43 PM
Kobold

Default Can't connect.. 1017?

I've had no problems until today, but suddenly when I try to log in, starting at the server select, it just boots be back to the login screen. When I re-connect it says error 1017, can't connect, and that it should be temporary?

I've recently installed a VPN, so that must be the issue. Is there something I need to do to allow EQ to connect through it?

I have the VPN because I've decided to don the tinfoil hat against the government.. but I should still be able to connect to the servers, yes?
Old 09-29-2014, 02:23 PM
Fire Giant

Send a message via ICQ to applesauce25r624 Send a message via AIM to applesauce25r624

4. I tried connecting to the server, but it either refuses to connect, or I get error 1017! What do I do?

This could actually be two separate problems. I'll address error 1017 last.

If unable to connect, please do the standard stuff first. Restart your computer, reset your router/modem, ensure your firewall is either disabled, or allowing eq as an exception, make sure the port eq uses isn't closed on your router (i believe P99 uses something between 6000-7000), and lastly, make sure you have tried everything else in this faq. If you still can't connect, or you start getting an error 1017, unfortunately, there isn't much I can do for you. It seems that there are several different reasons for this happening, and we haven't been able to nail down a specific reason for it. There are a couple things you need to do, however.

Make sure *all* of your drivers are updated, particularly your network card. I know I listed this at the beginning of the FAQ, but I'm repeating it here because sometimes people don't read everything. I know at least one person had a problem with his motherboard not being updated, and once he did this problem was fixed. In particular, be sure your network card has the latest software.

Attempt to log into your character/the server from another PC on the same connection. This will help to isolate whether the problem is with your network, or just a single PC.

Please do not make a /petition to the gm's, particularly for an error 1017. There really isn't much they can do, so don't take up their time.

Also, if you are getting error 1017, do *not* make a thread about it here. What you need to do instead is go to this thread:

http://www.project1999.org/forums/sh...240#post819240

and make a post stating you are getting error 1017, then provide the following information:

Your operating system
Your pcs technical specs:
Processor
motherboard
soundcard
videocard
network adapter
Your ISP (internet service provider)
The model of your router/modem
Any other possible relevant information (running special networking software/any special software, in particular antivirus/firewall programs, or anything that is messing with your network in anyway)

This will help to find a common denominator for people who are getting error 1017/connection issues.

****UPDATE FOR ERROR 1017****
Someone who was experiencing this issue discovered it was a problem with their hardware. Specifically, it was an issue with their motherboard. This may seem strange, but it only further reinforces a couple things:
Make sure EVERY SINGLE PIECE OF HARDWARE has a current driver
More info is needed for people who have error 1017's - ie, need more people hardware specs.

That being said, here is the solution this person found, verbatim:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC888
My Asus M5A97 R2.0 mobo allows me to overclock it with the click of a button through the BIOS. What had happened was I clicked the High Performance button so that it would slightly tweat with the voltages to overclock my CPU by about 300MHz and RAM by about 150MHz. My CPU can be overclocked to a further extend this is just a well known safe setting that Asus has for the clock boost. I never thought it would affect my ability to connect but the issue happened around the same time I did this and it immediately ended after the BIOs settings were returned to default.

If someone could shed light on this then please do tell, but I don't recommended overclocking your CPU even using manufacturer's settings.
I suspect people having error 1017 are having similar issues to this. I very strongly recommend *not* overclocking anything on your computer in order to play EQ. It seems to cause a ton of problems that are very easily fixed by just resetting everything to default. Basically, if you're getting weird errors or otherwise having problems running EQ, please try to turn off any overclocking you currently have turned on. This has fixed problems for more than one person.

Thank you Lyra for emphasizing this for me Lyra is our resident sexy tech goddess, and you can find her answering your questions at all hours of the day. If she responds to your thread please be polite and follow her instructions. She is wonderful and makes the tech board far more manageable! <3

***End Error 1017 update***

And lastly, please be patient.
Old 09-29-2014, 02:55 PM
Planar Protector

I didnt read all that ^^ but i know my vpn wouldnt allow to connect unless it has port 5998 forwarded. My VPN i use only has port forwarding on out of country connection and not its US based ones.
Old 09-29-2014, 04:04 PM
Kobold

Mmm, when I connect the VPN through a non-USA port it seems to work, though for some reason the video is now staggered and not smooth.. I will keep fiddling with things.

When I first booted up the computer, it would connect, and I got to the character select screen, but then it booted me and didn't let me back on until I changed ports..

It may be my antivirus or something.. I will try to add an exception for windows firewall and my Avast! application, and hope that works!
Old 09-29-2014, 06:28 PM
Kobold

Better watch out. I've heard nightmare stories about VPNs masquerading as a legit service only to hack or spy on their users.

Should probably make a VPN in a VPN just to be safe.
Old 09-29-2014, 08:06 PM
Fire Giant

Send a message via ICQ to applesauce25r624 Send a message via AIM to applesauce25r624

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkaan [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Should probably make a VPN in a VPN just to be safe.
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Closed Thread