Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Closed Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 04:12 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by baalzy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Ranger. Snare & Fear animal. Track in huge open spaces.

Edit: You get to eat death touches, so you're never expected to do anything else of use on raids.
If a ranger is doing nothign but eating DTs the raidleaders need to consider the relative DPS between SK and Ranger. I guess an SK could speed bump
Old 03-11-2014, 01:56 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by lecompte [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If a ranger is doing nothign but eating DTs the raidleaders need to consider the relative DPS between SK and Ranger. I guess an SK could speed bump
Sk dumps HT then goes and sits in a corner .... or eats a DT =p

Cause Paladins are still better OTs at this point just because of strong snap agro.
Old 03-11-2014, 02:10 PM
Planar Protector

They don't ask Shadow Knights to eat death touches because most SK's are like me and would tell said raid leaders to snuff it. Rangers tend to be nicer and more willing to do a useful duty.

Shadow Knights have snap aggro on par with Paladins; sometimes you don't see it because there are a *lot* of incompetent Shadow Knights who don't know how to use anything except Disease Cloud. These Shadow Knights make good death-touch fodder. In fact they should be encouraged to make different characters entirely.

------------------------------------

Monks remain a strong class in Velious, flirting with god-mode-overpowered if you have access to North Temple Veeshan and Sleeper's-quality loot. Without such loot they're merely mortal but still very strong. Main downside is their excessive population, meaning expensive gear and high competition for drops.

Rogues are easy to play and good at what they do, and due to lower population than Monks tend to be in demand. Main downside is they have fewer options than the other classes listed and may become boring. It's a good class for someone who doesn't always want to give the game high attention levels.

Bards are the opposite of Rogues, difficult to play well and having a very high relative skill cap. Good Bards are always in demand; poor Bards quit at level 50ish and end up used as EC mules. They're very busy to play well, requiring constant activity not too dissimilar from combat in many newer online role-playing games. Horrid choice for players who like to AFK or type in chat a lot.

Rangers offer more engaging combat than Monks or Rogues and lower activity levels and difficulty than Bards. The cost is being probably the worst of the four in terms of overall power and desirability, even after Velious enhancements.

Danth
Old 05-20-2014, 05:58 PM
Fire Giant

Send a message via ICQ to applesauce25r624 Send a message via AIM to applesauce25r624

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loiterius [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I do have to say though: if you want to be considered a good bard you'll need to be a bit ADHD
I think you mean OCD :P
Old 05-21-2014, 10:47 AM
Planar Protector

If I could go back and main a monk, I would definitely do it.

Great utility, fun as hell to play too.

Skarry 60 Assassin | Kumack 60 Oracle | Gyrgol 60 Oracle | Eregion 54 Illusionist
Old 05-26-2014, 10:10 AM
Planar Protector

my decision would lie between monk and bard, bard dps to my understanding is a little low, but I think all the cool things with spells, and the illusion masks are worth the bard. I'd take a good bard that knows how to mez over an enchanter
Old 05-31-2014, 08:51 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingme [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
my decision would lie between monk and bard, bard dps to my understanding is a little low, but I think all the cool things with spells, and the illusion masks are worth the bard. I'd take a good bard that knows how to mez over an enchanter
A little low? Here's a rundown of melee dps in the game, from top to bottom, assuming equal gear:

Rogue (DW+DA+Backstab)
Monk (DW+DA+FK)
Warrior/Ranger (DW+DA+Kick)
SK/Paladin (with 2-hander)
Bard
Casters

Take any weapon combination you want, even with the epic thrown in the mix, an equal level rogue will outdps you with rusty daggers.

Mage and necro lvl 29 pets, when they start DW+DA outdps you.

Bard melee is an illusion. It's something to do when you're not CC'ing (priority #1) or while you're twisting songs that benefit the group as a whole (priority #2)
Last edited by Erydan Ouragan; 05-31-2014 at 08:58 AM..
Old 05-31-2014, 09:42 AM
Planar Protector

Bard melee DPS sucked until AAs when hybrids got proc increasing AAs and hybrid only weapons that proc'd 650 damage dd's.

Blue
Tofusin - 60 Monk <BDA>
Shiroe - 60 Enchanter
Manowarr - 60 Druid
Old 06-15-2014, 10:34 PM
Aviak

the forums can either completely help or hurt in these type of questions. you'll be told which classes are most desirable for end game/raids, you'll be told why class A is better than B etc, and most of all you'll hear why rangers blow.

in the end, the only good advice is to tell you to just roll with the class you're gonna enjoy. everyone tells you to go bard? awesome, until you discover around level 35 that you have carpal tunnel and hate playing the class. i came back to the server about a year ago after i finished school wanting to play the one class i loved in live, which is also the laughing stock of classic and kunark, the ranger. So i searched through the forums and listened to what people told me, ended up making a monk, a bard, ench, warr, etc. none past 25. started a ranger last week and couldn't be enjoying it more. so what if i the min/maxers spit in my direction? go with what will keep you playing and actually enjoying the time you spend doing so

Aabdel - Wood Elf Rogue
Abdell - Half Elf Ranger
Meladei - Half Elf Bard
<Storm Watch>
Old 06-16-2014, 10:47 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erydan Ouragan [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
A little low? Here's a rundown of melee dps in the game, from top to bottom, assuming equal gear:

Rogue (DW+DA+Backstab)
Monk (DW+DA+FK)
Warrior/Ranger (DW+DA+Kick)
SK/Paladin (with 2-hander)
Bard
Casters

Take any weapon combination you want, even with the epic thrown in the mix, an equal level rogue will outdps you with rusty daggers.

Mage and necro lvl 29 pets, when they start DW+DA outdps you.

Bard melee is an illusion. It's something to do when you're not CC'ing (priority #1) or while you're twisting songs that benefit the group as a whole (priority #2)

This goes back to the good bard vs bad bard question. A good bard's dps comes from charm & dots. Significantly higher than melee dps charts would indicate.
Closed Thread