Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 06-28-2014, 02:56 PM
Large Rat

Default dsetup.dll is setting off malware alert

I use Comodo for security, and it triggers on this file in the new patch. I scanned the old versions and they don't raise any alarms.
Old 06-28-2014, 04:13 PM
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggHurb [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
its part of the bot net control system that we're all a part of. it uses your machine in DDoS attacks that Sirken sells.
Oh BS. Its the bitcoin miner code.

Goober.
Old 06-28-2014, 05:16 PM
Large Rat

Actually I have a friend who's got a fancy degree or two in computer security, and he says that P99 makes some disturbing changes to the registry or rootkits or something like that. He now refuses to play it, but I don't know, maybe he's just tired of being a noob and that's his excuse.
Old 06-29-2014, 09:55 PM
Fire Giant

Haven't played since my computer had a malware alert. Please change this if you can
Old 06-30-2014, 01:13 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttcheeks [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Actually I have a friend who's got a fancy degree or two in computer security, and he says that P99 makes some disturbing changes to the registry or rootkits or something like that. He now refuses to play it, but I don't know, maybe he's just tired of being a noob and that's his excuse.
speaking of which, i found some actualkeylogger shit mixed in with some other files in my EQ directory.. whats that about?
Old 06-30-2014, 01:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttcheeks [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
He's 100% right. In the effort of full transparency the .dll is part of P99s anti cheat program and can view various parts of your computer's information and running programs/services.

It's not like the staff can steal your credit card numbers or watch your viewing habits but they technically have installed a rootkit on your PC to stop hackers.
Old 06-30-2014, 05:47 PM
Planar Protector

In the strictest sense, even versions of VNC are rootkits. This surprises most people, as they consider rootkits to be solely malware, but in of themselves they aren't malicious at all.
Old 06-30-2014, 10:06 PM
Planar Protector

since installing the last patch.....www.bbc.co.uk page wont load up correctly!!

Dooomed dooomed I tell ya!

Sirken is coming to steal your cat!

Are YOU Cleansed from the chains of digital desire?
Old 07-01-2014, 08:44 AM
Fire Giant

McAfee is now flagging this file as well.

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 07-01-2014, 08:58 AM
Retired GM

Location: Cabilis East, in the northwest corner of the zone-in from Field of Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by getsome
McAfee is now flagging this file as well.
McAfee is garbage Anti-Virus software, and will flag innocuous files while missing the malicious ones. Would highly recommend staying away from that and Norton, as they do more damage to your system (bogs performance, has weird conflicts with programs they shouldn't, way too many false positives and doesn't actually catch the really bad virus' that it should be catching). Get Kaspersky if you're computer savvy, or Webroot if you're not. AVG is decent for a free program, but if you're going to pay go with Webroot or Kaspersky.

After many years doing IT work, including far too many malware and virus removals, this is the best advice I can give next to "stop clicking links that you aren't 100% sure are safe."

Quote:
If you have a friend who actually cracked the dll's encryption and managed to put it back together and get the full code, I don't think he'd be that disturbed.

Yes, dsetup is our anti-cheat. No, it's not malicious software, no it doesn't affect your computers performance, and no we cannot steal your credit card numbers or do anything nasty with the file itself. No, it's not getting removed, because it's our primary method of detecting third party programs, and without it Project 1999 would be rampant with cheaters.
Last edited by Derubael; 07-04-2014 at 01:30 AM..