Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 04-04-2015, 10:59 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Default Question about the game and community

Hi, I've recently heard about this server from a friend and was intrigued. I've played various mmos over the years and enjoy the genre, but was looking for an experience that's very difficult to find in the genre now. Everquest is a classic and more old school mmo and having heard about how this server retains the classic feel of the game, I've been interesting in trying it out for myself. I've never played Everquest before, so I wanted to ask, is the game generally hard to get into for a new player unfamiliar with how it works? I have no issue with learning and getting a feel for things of course, and I actually enjoy a challenge(I've gotten rather tired of the current crop of mmos now that practically throw rewards at you and make things so pathetically easy), I'm simply curious about just how difficult it can be to get into the game and start learning and playing since this game is more classic style and challenging compared to the games I've played before.

I'm also curious about the community here in the game. Is it generally friendly, and is it inviting to new players? Or is it more a community for established people who have played Everquest before and have experience with the game, and experience on this server? Thank you for your time.
Old 04-05-2015, 04:24 PM
Kobold

Blue community is great. Everyone loves seeing new players. If you love challenge, this is the game for you. Utillize the Wiki, read the new player guide, etc, and get ready for a very long, very challenging ride as a brand new player.

Red has some good people, but it is more toxic than blue for sure. Not sure I'd go to red as a new player, unless you are a masochist.
Old 04-05-2015, 04:30 PM
Sarnak

Red is great. Blue is great until you get to lvl 50 and then you see how awesome the late game is.

Bring your socks.
Old 04-05-2015, 04:55 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ando [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Red is great. Blue is great until you get to lvl 50 and then you see how awesome the late game is.

Bring your socks.
^^ - Truth. Also, red has insane XP bonus so leveling isn't nearly as bad as it is on blue. But since the population is lower, it makes finding groups harder. On Blue every raid target is on rotation by all the guilds, which I don't care for.

Here are some random jumbled thoughts of mine that may help with deciding if you want to play this game or not:

Everquest is a game that isn't meant to be played alone like all other "MMO"s where you can solo to top level with no problem doing worthless quest. Some classes can do this though.

The game isn't that hard to "learn" with all the info on the wiki and from players, you can figure everything out fairly quick. You have to rely on other players for faster travel(druid/wizard), hunting, quest, etc. This is why I always loved EQ, it was the best community in all games, and people want to play together. Don't expect instances either, because no MMO should have them EVER, it just separates the players. Open world, contested stuff is so much more fun/rewarding.

The world is huge and scary to travel at low level which makes it all more exciting.

Most items are trade-able and not level dependent, so you can get high end gear at a low level. These items usually do not make you godlike by any-means though(except for regen/haste items).

tl;dr I just started and made characters on blue and red and have been helped by people on both and given some starter gear.
Old 04-05-2015, 10:18 PM
Planar Protector

Welcome! Just make sure you don't join the pvp server it's full of low class morons. Terrible community there.
Old 04-05-2015, 10:24 PM
Planar Protector

Both communities have their rejects
Old 04-05-2015, 10:35 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madbad [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Both communities have their rejects
True. However Red is 90% rejects, and blue is about 20%. Most being tagged to BDA.
Old 04-06-2015, 12:11 AM
Orc

I don't know about the red (PVP) server community of P99, so I speak henceforth of the blue (not PVP) server. I personally don't enjoy PVP, your mileage may vary.

The server is extremely pleasant for new players. If you aren't someone who begs, you should find yourself well treated. The "don't beg" thing is a very strong EQ thing... and I find it opposite to a lot of other MMOs where such behavior is pretty much rewarded immediately while those who do NOT beg tend to be ignored. So be prepared for this.

Also, a few things of note... reputation is everything in EQ. Try to form a positive one from the get-go. If you're acting like a jerk, you never know if you're being a jerk to the alt (alternate character) of someone who can make your life miserable. It's political, and that can't be avoided in a smallish community such as this. So one main factor is courtesy and remembering that while someone else might act like a jacka**, you may consider not responding in kind. Not for that person's sake, but for your own personal reputation.

The learning curve in EQ is steep. Anyone who denies it is a liar. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] That's the bad news. The really great news is that EQ is self-teaching for the most part. In other words, when you make the mistake of running up to a random decaying skeleton and get your ass handed to you... you learn to consider EVERYTHING before attacking... or to (at minimum) consider (Press the C key to learn its view of you and its difficulty in comparison to you)... pretty much everything. If you haven't fought a vengeful soloist before, you'll learn to con it.

You'll find that while EQ is very unforgiving, it's a school of hard knocks... mitigated by the fact that there are helpful people everywhere. Lost your corpse? Say something about it in OOC. Chances are someone will find it. Died and forgot to bind? Well, first off, you will NEVER do that again. Seriously, never. Second off, chances are you'll find a nice wiz or dru to port you (perhaps not right away, though, sadly).

Many, many a friend has been made simply by turning to your number one resource in EQ... the community.

Everquest is what I like to call "enforced community". Where you're not FORCED to engage with others. You CAN do it all yourself. You'll find, however, that it's a poor choice. It's tedious and painful to do so. You don't NEED a port to get from Highkeep to Butcherblock Mountains... but wow, it can be hours faster. So you're not FORCED to seek druids or wizards. It CAN be done.

But EQ has a way of making it 100x more appealing to appeal to other players. To work together. In so doing, you'll make friends. That's something EQ offers that few other games do... you pretty much NEED other people. Not in the rawest sense, but in the broadest sense. To make your life comfortable instead of a continuous pain in the neck... reach out to others for help.

Yes, you'll learn in EQ. And you won't necessarily need guides or the like. But believe me when I say that the learning curve can be steep and brutal sometimes. It's not a game with sparkly paths and detailed descriptions of quest locations.

It's a world. And like our real world, that world can be beautiful and incredible at times... and cold, cruel, and harsh at others. Which is what makes it feel like a world instead of "another game'.

Nimmian (Womanly Warrior) - "I go where the winds of Karana drive me."

Amris (Girlie Bard) - "Right now, I'm thinking heavy metal. No, really, lambent is heavy."
Old 04-06-2015, 01:25 AM
Planar Protector

Nearly everyone I have met on red is pretty cool. At least for the amount of time it takes for every one to get their fill of xp,

I'd say about half the people on blue are AFK in EC tunnel, trying to mooch something, rule lawyering, KSing, or poopsocking somewhere at any given time.
Old 04-06-2015, 01:45 AM
Planar Protector

It's a persistent world. If you persist, you persist with it. My suggestion is, if you find the game fun, find your niche and enjoy it. Myself, I own the market in bixie wings. Just try to /auction for one in east commons. None will show up. Why? Because bixie wings: I own them. A bixie spawns, it's avg life ~= 15 seconds. You want bixie wing? You gotta go through me.

Sadre
Fed. Prisoner #G677759801
gen pop since 99 baby
parole date: 2029