Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 10:54 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Default I remember.

So I tried to start an intro thread yesterday but I'm not sure what happened to it. Anyway...

I got my first whiff of EQ in an issue of PCXL back in 99 I think. I must have read that article dozens of times and oh how I wanted to play (I think I've still got this issue in storage somewhere maybe I'll have to dig it up). Our home computer wouldn't handle it and our internet connection was a joke so I just couldn't [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Fast forward to my second year in college. Earned enough over the summer to buy a Compaq tower that could handle EQ (first and only system I bought, I've built ever since) and campus had a fast network that was great for gaming. Although I had forgotten EQ!? So I got started out with tons of Diablo 2, Unreal Tournament, and Counter Strike beta (pwning noobs and owning all the bases) and then for Christmas I got the Ruins of Kunark discs and the just released Velious expansion! It was finally going to happen!

I got it installed and chose the new (were they colored blue?) server of Xev to start on. I must of have researched my class selection for hours before making my character a human monk based out of Qeynos. I punched a few things, died a few times, leveled up! and got a feel of just how epic it all was before I decided that I should try out my second class choice, the shaman. I picked barbarian even though they had no regen and terrible night vision. I logged in to the cold reaches of Halas, cast inner fire on myself to keep warm and went out and clubbed some monsters to death (just like the guy from PCXL!). That shaman became my main and although I spent days and days of play time on him up through planes of power and then on and off over several years I never once hit the level cap with him. So that is my story. I find myself back again, just in time for the release of Velious [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

This time around I'm not sure what class I will go with. I've made a monk, and a bard, and a rogue, and a wizard, and a shaman and maybe a druid??...I'd like to reach level cap this time even if it does take me a long time. I'm kind of leaning toward wizard at the moment. Is that a good choice for a starting toon here? Will I be able to get into groups? I vaguely recall them having some solo ability with quad kiting, is this right? Sorry this post is so long [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] but I thought I would share some memories I have of this grand game [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] hope you enjoyed.
Old 08-11-2015, 12:54 PM
Large Bat

Default Ehhhh....

Hi Haledan,

Welcome to P1999 - I literally just joined a few days ago, and really haven't gotten anywhere either, but I was an extremely long time ex-EQ player and can maybe give you advice on your class selection based on what you're thinking.

Wizard is an excellent class. They are very strong later on, and have THE strongest nukes, hands down. Getting resisted sucks though. They also get some neat tools (ports, etc) and are generally well liked and accepted in groups.

Now, that being said, they are not easy to solo in the beginning unless you have good gear. You'll have to have a mana buff or decent starting gear so you can root/nuke stuff. You simply cannot tank mobs by yourself and around level 8-9 you will get wrecked hard if you try and tank stuff yourself. Soloing is not ideal at this range (until you get your snare) and it would be best if you found yourself a partner.

I love druids, because druids are sort of "jacks of all trades" in that they have a little of everything: Ports, buffs, nukes, heals, you name it. They are a strong class.

In the end, play what you want. Try and get groups starting at 8-10 if you're all alone and no one is helping you. I am still figuring out what I want to play...but when I decide, maybe we can team up. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Closed Thread