Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 10:02 PM
Fire Giant

Default Running+strafing question

Edit after 4 pages of the thread - half of you are saying "lol you guys can't figure out how to make it work" and half of you are saying "lol you can't outrun anything so why bother?"

Here is when it matters: when kiting snared stuff. No, maybe it isn't worth running+strafing and managing your angle as you are going across WK. No, maybe you can't outrun something you accidentally aggrod while on a corpse run. But that extra bit of speed DOES make a difference when you're running away from something you snared (or when they are not snared and you have a run speed boost)... because the quicker you're going, the sooner you can get off another spell or whatever without the NPC(s) behind you catching up and beating you down/interrupting your spell.

Another edit after 5 pages - Tested running+strafing today across 2-ish minute runs along a path I could not possibly have messed up, and over a few repititions strafing+running was 10ish% faster than just straight up running.

I seem to remember that back in the day, you would run more quickly by running forwards AND strafing than just running forwards. I don't know if that is the case on live anymore... but is that how it works on this server?

It kind of feels like it does in game, but I haven't played around with it enough to really know.
Last edited by fischsemmel; 01-07-2011 at 10:47 PM..
Old 01-05-2011, 10:13 PM
Sarnak

Hit something
run
you have your asnwer
Old 01-05-2011, 10:17 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cribanox [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Hit something
run
you have your asnwer
Yay, a troll! Well either a troll or a stupid person, what with the "advice" he tried to give me not being coherent and not actually providing any insight into the situation and all.

Stay off drugs and stay in school, kids.
Old 01-05-2011, 10:19 PM
Sarnak

I don't get it, you post on the forums asking a question that you can easily answer yourself by just trying it on any fucking monster in everquest, and I'm stupid?
Old 01-05-2011, 10:29 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cribanox [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I don't get it, you post on the forums asking a question that you can easily answer yourself by just trying it on any fucking monster in everquest, and I'm stupid?
Hey, it's not like I posted blindly and want to be spoonfed. I indicated that I've played around with running vs. running+strafing on the server, and I indicated that I felt like it was a little faster.

But if there IS a difference, it's a very small one, and it's not really the kind of difference I can measure without spending more time on it than I have right now. Hence I posted on here, made as much clear, and asked a simple yes or no question.

You either missed or chose to ignore things I said in my OP, acted as if I was an idiot while not putting together a sensible post yourself, and then didn't/couldn't even answer with a "yes" or a "no." What would you expect me to think you are, other than a troll or a moron?
Old 01-05-2011, 10:47 PM
Fire Giant

Yes. Running forward and strafing is faster. Will it save you? Not always. Is it going to hurt? Probably not.
Old 01-06-2011, 12:11 AM
Sarnak

Despite the butthurtedness and ire that has polluted the opening of this thread, I actually would be interested on the specifics of the speed difference. Do players regularly abuse this glitch? (and it is almost certainly a glitch) is the difference 10%? 5%? i googled quick and got no real answers, but several guides cite it as a real thing. Easiest thing to do is race someone with equal agility in game. But then ping gets involved somehow im sure blah blah blah...
Old 01-06-2011, 01:04 AM
Aviak

Axis bug. Still active on live to my knowledge as it was part of the core engine and couldn't be fixed.

Whenever you travel on 2 or more axis the speeds all get added together and you move faster than you should. Most people used it unknowingly the few couple weeks bunny hopping repeatedly to escape mobs. Then stamina got "altered" in a patch as a bandaid for the problem. Some people just started walking diagonally with mouselook on and found it worked too.

It works in other games as well.
Last edited by Duma; 01-06-2011 at 01:08 AM..
Old 01-06-2011, 01:07 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitVelvetSmooth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Despite the butthurtedness and ire that has polluted the opening of this thread, I actually would be interested on the specifics of the speed difference. Do players regularly abuse this glitch? (and it is almost certainly a glitch) is the difference 10%? 5%? i googled quick and got no real answers, but several guides cite it as a real thing. Easiest thing to do is race someone with equal agility in game. But then ping gets involved somehow im sure blah blah blah...
?
Old 01-06-2011, 01:10 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by fischsemmel [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I seem to remember that back in the day, you would run more quickly by running forwards AND strafing than just running forwards. I don't know if that is the case on live anymore... but is that how it works on this server?

It kind of feels like it does in game, but I haven't played around with it enough to really know.
Its worthless. running+strafing Running + jumping.

You cant get away from mobns they are ALL faster than you, fight and die its better than trying to run

Oh yea .... Piss Off.

H
Closed Thread