Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Server Issues > Bugs

Old 08-04-2016, 07:48 PM
Sarnak

Default Necro epic particles

I happened to be reminded of this old quote today:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Necromancer particles are also wrong,they should radiate as a sphere instead of a circle. It would be an easy fix once located.
I'm not sure if the particles are indeed supposed to be that way and I don't have any evidence, but considering the source I'll go with it.

A few days ago I made a tool for editing particle effect data for old weapon models (I was bored).

One thing I noticed while playing around is that if a model uses the "sphere" mode for particle motion, but has a zero value in what I called the "sphere radius" field, the particles will radiate along a flat, circular plane, as the necro epic current does, and like so: https://youtu.be/KceGqURJYFw

But, if the "sphere radius" field is set to any non-zero value, they will radiate in a sphere as expected. I used a "sphere radius" of 0.1 here: https://youtu.be/ICoGwcmFZhk

If this were a desired change, getting it out to users might be a challenge. Probably wouldn't want to distribute the file that needs to be edited (gequip.s3d) for legal reasons. It would not be hard for me to develop a one-click tool to make the change, but then each player would need to go out of their way to use it. Too bad P99 doesn't have a patching program...
Old 08-04-2016, 08:19 PM
Developer

Nice job Zaela. For quick reference you can see the necromancer epic from the trilogy client in this video toward the end. It looks just like your fix.

https://youtu.be/80kN9wO3DsM?t=2m36s
Last edited by Telin; 08-14-2016 at 10:09 PM..
Old 08-04-2016, 08:37 PM
Sarnak

In the meantime I was busy firing up an unmodified trilogy client to have a look myself... oh well! https://youtu.be/LnQtajrxtGQ

For reference, the gequip.s3d from the Trilogy installer dated 2001-08-15 has zero in the "sphere radius" field, just like Titanium's. So the client definitely changed how it interprets the particle data at some point.
Old 08-04-2016, 08:54 PM
Sarnak

Based on the data, the Bard, Druid and Cleric epics may be in the same situation. They all use the "sphere" mode with a "sphere radius" of zero.
Old 08-06-2016, 01:47 AM
Sarnak

In the unlikely event that there are people out there who would like to fix the Necro, Bard, Druid and Cleric epic particles for themselves, I made a "one-click" fixer tool: download link. Source is here.

Drop it into your EQ folder and run it.

It makes a backup of the file that gets edited before it does anything, in case you want to undo the changes (the backup is "gequip.zae", rename it to "gequip.s3d" (replacing the existing one) to revert).

edit: may need to download and run vcredist_x86.exe from Microsoft here if you get "missing DLL" errors.
Last edited by Zaela; 08-06-2016 at 02:00 AM..
Old 08-08-2016, 01:27 PM
Sarnak

Hey Zaela,
I found a possible bug within the patching. I did your exe on my laptop EQ files and when I zoom in to far my epic particles go away. But with one scroll tick outwards it shows up again.

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Fenugreek Alchemist - Oracle

Old 08-08-2016, 03:05 PM
Banned

wizard epic did that in classic if you zoomed "too close to the sun" also
Old 08-08-2016, 03:29 PM
Sarnak

I can still see them while zoomed in as close as possible, same race, position and camera angle. I'm on linux though, so if it's an obscure DirectX thing that might make a difference...

I'll try to bring myself to boot up windows later and try some different values for the fix and see if that does anything.
Old 08-14-2016, 08:25 PM
Kobold

I'm glad someone brought this up. It is definitely supposed to be a spherical pattern. Some patch changed it to a circle for unknown reasons. I remember on live when it happened. I even made note of it to the GMs and was told that they'd look into it. Of course they never did.
Old 08-15-2016, 06:48 PM
Sarnak

While we are on the subject of the necro epic and spell particles/graphics...

The right click spell graphic do not persist through the entire cast. They show up for approximately 6 seconds, then are gone until the spell finishes, at which time they show up again.