Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Closed Thread

Old 09-13-2016, 10:34 AM
Fire Giant

Default Bard Instrument boni

There are some songs where it's totally unclear for me how (or if) an instrument affects the outcome. Of course damage songs just do more damage, for speed and heal the effect is clear as well.

But what about the fear song (brass)? Or the enduring breath song (wind)?
The duration doesn't seem to change. My bard is 23 so i don't know about fear or charm yet. Is there any reason to use them with an instrument? I understand that the instrument skill is used in order to find out if the song fizzles (even if you sing it, which is really dumb), but is there any need to actually swap to the instrument for those songs?
Old 09-13-2016, 01:59 PM
Large Bat

Been playing a bard for so many years and to me, having an instrument equipped when playing fear/snare/slow/mez lands easier on mobs.
Old 09-13-2016, 02:50 PM
Sarnak

Rule of thumb is an instrument increases the effectiveness of any effect that is not mana regen, haste, or slow. Duration except for a few rare songs is always 3 ticks. Some songs don't modify with an instrument really, fear being one of them, water breathing being another.

For songs that are assigned an instrument however like fear, the fizzle chance is based on the instrument skill, whether or not you have one equipped. So don't neglect Brass skill just bc you never use a horn, since you would fizzle a ton while playing fear song with weapons equipped (and never skill up unless you equip a horn to play it).

Using an instrument while trying to target mobs (slows, snares, chats) should not land any easier unless the song has a resist modifier. Few bard songs have a resist modifier, i think Mez has a -10mr one, but most are straight checks to MR, PR, FR. However, IF the song has a DEBUFF component (Fufill's debuffs MR, as does the 59 Poison PBAOE), then the debuff effect should INCREASE if you are holding an instrument. It doesn't help the song land: it increases the debuff, making it easier to land again.
Old 09-13-2016, 02:55 PM
Sarnak

I'm actually not sure of the resist modifier scales with instrument usage....I assume not. But I'm really not sure. It's worth the question whether CCing bards should hold a flute to mez better, since then it would check -25mr instead of -10mr.
Old 09-14-2016, 07:21 AM
Fire Giant

Practice, and skill ups.

Good way to stay maxed out is to play invis, EB, faction song, etc. while holding instruments. Especially if you want to do that while AFK.
Old 09-14-2016, 01:16 PM
Large Rat

My bard is 53 and I never, ever, worry about my instrument for mez, fear, snare, slow, or even charm.
Old 12-02-2016, 11:10 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwaldrop16 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
My bard is 53 and I never, ever, worry about my instrument for mez, fear, snare, slow, or even charm.
So if I understand this correctly, as long as my skills in the instrument are maxed there won't be any difference in me holding the instrument and not while casting these songs? What about Lull? Do I need a string to cast that or will it work without it as well?

I was confused by this because I accidently cast charm (just got level 27) without the instrument and it worked, and I thought what the hell!? This is going to make my life easier casting the above songs if I never have to swap out the instruments, but rather make sure my skill is maxed prior to casting.
Old 12-02-2016, 12:11 PM
Fire Giant

Some songs require instruments. Most are just amplified by them. 30 damage versus 50 damage, for example.
Old 12-02-2016, 01:09 PM
Fire Giant

For enduring breath, I don't think higher instruments make you breathe any stronger. Always seems the same to me...
Old 12-02-2016, 02:00 PM
Kobold

lull agro radius reduction intensifies when using a stringed instrument, it is known
Closed Thread