Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 12:43 PM
Kobold

Unhappy Broken Quests

There are a few things that separate EQ from other MMOs, one is the fact that you can do quests rather than mindless grinding. These quests are more challenging and fun than most MMOs are today, such as WoW's system of find the '!', don't bother to read, click accept, follow the arrow on the minimap, kill something, find the '?', rinse repeat.

It is tempting to get into a grinding mode however and find yourself subconsciously doing maths like "I can get x exp per hour killing these things vs. y exp per hour killing those things". I think that takes the fun out of the game.

So I made a bard and decided I would do as many quests as I could, except ones that wouldn't be fruitful for a bard. In doing so I discovered a number of broken newbie quests. These are old-world quests, not recently added Kunark quests. Below is a list of quests I found that are broken:

Cure for Lempeck Hargrin
Lion Meat Shipment
Crows special brew
Toxdil's Poison
The painting

The most recent of these was posted nearly a month ago, and there has been no reply to indication that the quests will be fixed.

There were a few others but they either a) shouldn't be there altogether because their not classic, so the fact that it's broken doesn't matter, or b) is able to be completed but just not in the right way (ie: the text you have to say to the NPC isn't what it should be)

Obviously 'classic EQ' had numerous broken quests, but before submitting these bugs I checked archive.org's history of allakhazam's web site on these quests dating back to the earliest date I could for each quest. And in all cases these quests were reported to be working and complete-able.

The last quest, "The Painting", is the one that finally discouraged me from even trying to quest on p1999 anymore. At level 9 I walked by bard all the way from Qeynos to Freeport (Yes I know I could have purchased a port but I was role playing and making the journey the hard way seemed more fun).
But then getting to Freeport and finding that the NPC I was supposed to talk to just doesn't respond to anything very so discouraging. Do I return to Qeynos, do I try to make a new life for myself here in Freeport? What's the point of going on if every other quest I encounter will be broken?

In short if you want to get your nostalgia kick, or you want to grind, get to max level, and raid, then fine. But if you want an RPG where you can do quests look elsewhere.
Old 05-22-2011, 02:01 PM
Sarnak

Send a message via AIM to Ihealyou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divarin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
There are a few things that separate EQ from other MMOs, one is the fact that you can do quests rather than mindless grinding.
Have you ever played EQ?

Uuur - Your favorite Master +1 cleric <LifeAlert>
Rockwell - Your favorite 30 virgin <Aspen and Rockwell>
Old 05-22-2011, 02:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divarin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
There are a few things that separate EQ from other MMOs, one is the fact that you can do quests rather than mindless grinding. These quests are more challenging and fun than most MMOs are today, such as WoW's system of find the '!', don't bother to read, click accept, follow the arrow on the minimap, kill something, find the '?', rinse repeat.

It is tempting to get into a grinding mode however and find yourself subconsciously doing maths like "I can get x exp per hour killing these things vs. y exp per hour killing those things". I think that takes the fun out of the game.

So I made a bard and decided I would do as many quests as I could, except ones that wouldn't be fruitful for a bard. In doing so I discovered a number of broken newbie quests. These are old-world quests, not recently added Kunark quests. Below is a list of quests I found that are broken:

Cure for Lempeck Hargrin
Lion Meat Shipment
Crows special brew
Toxdil's Poison
The painting

The most recent of these was posted nearly a month ago, and there has been no reply to indication that the quests will be fixed.

There were a few others but they either a) shouldn't be there altogether because their not classic, so the fact that it's broken doesn't matter, or b) is able to be completed but just not in the right way (ie: the text you have to say to the NPC isn't what it should be)

Obviously 'classic EQ' had numerous broken quests, but before submitting these bugs I checked archive.org's history of allakhazam's web site on these quests dating back to the earliest date I could for each quest. And in all cases these quests were reported to be working and complete-able.

The last quest, "The Painting", is the one that finally discouraged me from even trying to quest on p1999 anymore. At level 9 I walked by bard all the way from Qeynos to Freeport (Yes I know I could have purchased a port but I was role playing and making the journey the hard way seemed more fun).
But then getting to Freeport and finding that the NPC I was supposed to talk to just doesn't respond to anything very so discouraging. Do I return to Qeynos, do I try to make a new life for myself here in Freeport? What's the point of going on if every other quest I encounter will be broken?

In short if you want to get your nostalgia kick, or you want to grind, get to max level, and raid, then fine. But if you want an RPG where you can do quests look elsewhere.

Go away.
Old 05-22-2011, 02:33 PM
Aviak

Quote:
There are a few things that separate EQ2 from other MMOs, one is the fact that you can do quests rather than mindless grinding. The other is that players like me can come along and post retardation without thinking about what their saying.
I fixered it. Now you can leave and go back to that game.
Old 05-22-2011, 08:33 PM
VIP / Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Amelinda Send a message via Yahoo to Amelinda

Quote:

Cure for Lempeck Hargrin
Lion Meat Shipment
Crows special brew
Toxdil's Poison
The painting

There were a few others but they either a) shouldn't be there altogether because their not classic, so the fact that it's broken doesn't matter, or b) is able to be completed but just not in the right way (ie: the text you have to say to the NPC isn't what it should be).
I am glad to see the quest issues posted [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] Thank you for submitting them on our bug forums....

Quote:
Dev server has been down since 4-27 - Tornado related issues.....not able to change the quests if the devs can't get to the code...
Old 05-22-2011, 09:39 PM
Fire Giant

The tags make up the better part of most of the threads here.
Closed Thread