Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 01:31 PM
Fire Giant

Default Wizards! Do you regret it?

I keep telling myself "Wizards have horrible downtime while soloing, it's not worth it....groups never want them....it's not worth it" But secretly, I can't stop myself from wanting to play a Wizard really bad. My question for every Wizard out there is: DO YOU REGRET MAKING YOUR WIZARD? If you do regret it, tell me what you'd rather have, and why. If you don't regret it, tell me why you love your Wizard! I need some help, encouragement, or discouragement here.
Old 06-11-2011, 01:36 PM
Fire Giant

I love my wizard because he doesn't exist. Like a true friend Kimmie stopped me when I had become delusional and almost made the mistake of making a wizard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruman View Post
Hahaha, that is awesome. Right up there with...that one guy's....boat service before the boats worked.
Old 06-11-2011, 01:47 PM
Banned

I actually prefer playing my wiz over my necro, shaman and mage. Unfortunately, it's probably the most gimp class in all of classic until AAs. It isn't until AE groups or raids where you really see them shine and notice just how useful they really are. Lures are critical, stuns are amazing, big nukes are awesome. With a manastone + Epic you can pretty much quad/nuke to your hearts content. Mana robe is great in zones you can't port in/out of.

With all that said, it's still a huge pita to level a wiz. Finding quad spots that aren't taken is a major pain and getting into a group (unless a guild group) for decent loot in a dungeon is quite rare. We probably won't be seeing AA's here, so the hopeful notion that it'll only get better is only wishful thinking.
Old 06-11-2011, 02:07 PM
Sarnak

Wizards are awesome and people who think they don't belong in groups are wrong. Their dps over time is indeed a tiny bit smaller than say a rogues but no rogue can mana dump in an emergency and end said emergency. No monk can port out to pick up the cleric replacement from wc when you are in Kunark. They also can't hit the gtfo of dodge button and save everyone from a wipe.

With that said.. Most folks will stay biased and you'll solo waaay more than you want to. That's mainly why I shelved my wizzy and made a chanter.
Old 06-11-2011, 02:31 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zigfreed [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Wizards are awesome and people who think they don't belong in groups are wrong. Their dps over time is indeed a tiny bit smaller than say a rogues...
Tiny bit?

Your bread and butter spell for damage will be draught of fire. 688 damage for 215 mana. I'll assume the wizard has specc'ed Evocation, so we'll knock 10% of the mana cost. 193.5 mana can be meditated back in 39 seconds, assuming you've got clarity. So you can do 688 damage in 39 seconds sustained. So your dps is 18 per second best case scenario. That is giving you the benefit of the doubt that you are casting in between med ticks.

Any rogues wanna help me out and give examples of what a rogue dps is? I suspect it's more than a tiny bit higher than 18 per second.
Old 06-11-2011, 03:03 PM
Fire Giant

Wizards don't climb up the dps scale for groups till they get innate spell crits. Till that happened they are warriors dps wise,if you claim otherwise you are ignorant of the dps ladder.

They sure can burn mobs down in groups quick and save the day. Can also root,pull,snare,stun and evac.I love them in groups too. I've only met 2 wizards worth a damn on this server though.
Old 06-11-2011, 03:37 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zigfreed [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Their dps over time is indeed a tiny bit smaller than say a rogues but no rogue can mana dump in an emergency and end said emergency.
Lol you must have a very strange definition of tiny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruman View Post
Hahaha, that is awesome. Right up there with...that one guy's....boat service before the boats worked.
Old 06-11-2011, 04:32 PM
Aviak

Looking over some parses from the past week or so...

Sebilite Golem avg dps over 25 fights 64.04, 22-96 (high low)
Frog Bok Shaman avg dps over 30 fights 57.83, 31-103
Sebilite Juggernaut avg dps over 29 fights 42.01, 21-64

Can't comment on what buffs I had at the time, how much haste (if any) but I can tell you I'm usually near or @ max str.
Old 06-11-2011, 04:56 PM
Aviak

or, OR! if you're into killing dragons and the like, 2-3 wizards can KS entire raid forces because melee dps is garbage now! ^_^ Wizards out damage -everyone- on boss mobs now. Point blank.
Old 06-11-2011, 05:16 PM
Aviak

Default no

Being a wizard as a main character on this server isn't as terrible as people act out on these boards, theres great utility and good fast damage when you need it, for exp grinds that have no fear of any miss-pulls or adventures to harder spots we aren't amazing, but can still hold our own. But I personally don't want to sit in OT all day long, i'd rather go explore guk again, so they can have it. We are great for escaping, transporting, planes travel..., quick killing, chain interupting casters. I'm only level 39 and I personally haven't had too much trouble getting groups. I've never been flat out told i'm not wanted because i'm a wiz.