Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Red Community > Red Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 11:44 PM
Banned

Default How EQ PvP really was - No bullshit guide

I keep seeing blue server people asking what class to play then lots of responses by TZVZ people that never even played EQ live or just random noobs in general so here's the legit story on classes.

Warriors, monks, rangers, paladins, and shadowknights: If we're talking about well geared, max level people of similar skill, all are balanced relatively decent to one another and the fight can go either way. These 5 classes are basically the #1 PvP classes you can play if well geared. If you see someone claim that any of these classes is "not good" for solo PvP, they are a dumb ass plain and simple or played TZVZ but not EQ live.

Rogue: Even if you're the best player on earth, you probably won't be able to kill a B+ player from the above category if equally geared and standing outside. If you're a small race and attacking ogres and trolls inside a dungeon like Guk, you can do pretty good. As for casters, they will probably kill you some way or another until 55+ with a huge piercer then most will avoid ever stopping to try and channel a cast while you melee them. Hide is also decent till other melees have see invis items.

Druid: The real strength in this class isn't 1vs1 dueling since a good player that's well prepared will dispel your dots. It's sneaking up on people and dropping multiple dots on them that go behind all their other buffs while they're xping then unloading nukes. This usually results in death as they try to run to zone line and is pretty easy to do since you get track. Can also debuff your fire nuke resists by casting Ice (don't remember what expansion it's from). This is more of a jackass ganking class than anything.

Mage: The king of jackass idiot classes. Send pet then run away. If you manage to kill someone, nobody cares since you didn't actually do anything. Resist rates for nukes is extremely high unless you have mala + the server has SZ 50% debuff bonus.

Shaman: This is the most uncertain class of them all in terms of power. It depends how common cure poison potions are and also how many levels of poison each cast removes. I'm 99% sure that dots with an initial DD component had a double resist check so if you're casting Ebolt on someone with only 50 poison resist, the resist rate will still be decent but it won't be the grand slam spell it appears to be. Shouldn't have much problem landing dots during kunark with malo + unresistable disease debuff. The class will either be mediocre or extremely overpowered for 1vs1 depending on availability of poison/disease potions and their effectiveness as I said. There was no free market for these potions on SZ when it came out, you only really got them if you were in a guild with a shaman that made them (wasn't very many).

Bard: I don't remember any of their spells landing on me classic through Velious. There weren't many bards on EQ live in general though. One thing they can do is dispel all your buffs, use a tash procing weapon, then use occlusion of sound unresistable MR/FR/CR debuff which would be something like 60-70 MR debuff if the server uses Sullon Zek 50% debuff bonus. With that much MR debuffed, you can probably land snare and dot on even well geared melees. If you combine that with a Malo from a shaman or mage, someone would be really screwed. So for group PvP, besides just being a speed bot, they have some annoying tricks. If you're solo, you probably won't kill anyone as a bard and mostly just wander around annoying people, nobody will kill you either though probably.

Cleric: Basically a healing only class. Two DA's so it's really hard to die. Stuns and blinds never land on well geared people. If you try nuking someone with over 100MR, you'll be lucky to do 25-50% of their HP after blowing your entire mana bar.

Enchanter: Your nuke has a double resist check due to having a stun component so it's the hardest to land PvP nuke. I think level 57 tash debuffs magic resist by 60 or so if server has SZ 50% debuff bonus so that evens it out a bit. You do get an unresistable mez at 59 so mezzing is always possible, especially if there's no crimson potions on server. The basic endgame routine for this class is pillage other casters, rapture, tash, sieve all their mana, then attempt to nuke them to death. I think you run out of mana trying to kill most real melees. If there are no crimson pots and server has 50% SZ debuff bonus, having this class duo with a malo casting shaman or mage will be pretty deadly. Otherwise they aren't very strong 1vs1 endgame.

Wizard: With normal EQ resists, this class starts off very powerful then becomes pretty poor at 50 against people with good equipment. Once Kunark opens, it becomes powerful once again due to lures. You also get levitate and shadowstep so you just levitate up then bomb people from above while they can't hit you outside or spam shadowstep then nuke.

Necro: Same pluses and minuses with poison dots as shaman. Same pluses and minuses as druid with other dots. While outside you either spam shadowstep then dot or lifetap or you use levitate and bomb people from above.

Summary: All melees are good for PvP using normal EQ live resists. Shamans, druids, necros, and wizards (lures) are also good. The only classes that really get shafted are clerics, mages, and enchanters that try to solo. If the server uses Sullon Zek 50% debuff bonus, mage power should be "ok" after getting malo at 60 though.
Old 10-08-2011, 11:49 PM
Planar Protector

Triple post? Ban inc...
Old 10-08-2011, 11:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cast [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
summary: didn't read more than 3 sentences - you are a moron and should be removed from the gene pool. never fucking post again you stupid fucking retard.
That's not a summary, that is a fallacy loaded critique.

C'mon Cast, I know you passed highschool
Old 10-08-2011, 11:51 PM
Planar Protector

You're almost as bad as Fourthmeal. We all know what happened to him.
Old 10-08-2011, 11:51 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cast [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
summary: didn't read more than 3 sentences - you are a moron and should be removed from the gene pool. never fucking post again you stupid fucking retard.
Enhance your calm.

Also, this isn't RnF. Go away.
Old 10-08-2011, 11:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrubwise [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You're almost as bad as Fourthmeal. We all know what happened to him.
Death of a legend, champion of the chalupa
Old 10-08-2011, 11:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Disclaimer to my above post for the retard: I played on RZ in '99, TZ at launch, SZ at launch, Discord at launch.
Never heard of you and was even in Holocaust, the guild in your sig. Was Fraud <Ruin> on SZ. You must be new to the internet and didn't play till TZVZ box 8.0. I would recommend some thorazine for your apparent mental problems/rage posts though.
Last edited by tmoneynegro; 10-09-2011 at 12:26 AM..
Old 10-09-2011, 12:05 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

@Tmoney thanks for taking the time to think all that out and share with the rest of us.
Old 10-09-2011, 12:13 AM
Aviak

Enchanter: Your nuke has a double resist check due to having a stun component so it's the hardest to land PvP nuke. I think level 57 tash debuffs magic resist by 60 or so if server has SZ 50% debuff bonus so that evens it out a bit. You do get an unresistable mez at 59 so mezzing is always possible, especially if there's no crimson potions on server. The basic endgame routine for this class is pillage other casters, rapture, tash, sieve all their mana, then attempt to nuke them to death. I think you run out of mana trying to kill most real melees. If there are no crimson pots and server has 50% SZ debuff bonus, having this class duo with a malo casting shaman or mage will be pretty deadly. Otherwise they aren't very strong 1vs1 endgame.
[/QUOTE]

If you are an enchanter and you dont use weaken and cripple line when server launches you should probably kill yourself. (even our dot in the right situations is good in pvp)Enchanter also get a blind that is very useful.
And if you are trying to 1v1 a melee just pray you are fighting in a zone with high lvl mobs to charm you wont nuke them to death most likely.
Bracer of Hidden is also a very strong item for 1v1 so that you can cast if on them before rapture and hopefully get rapture at the top of their buffs so that you dont dispell rapture.
Color line of stuns can be very useful, whirl might be useful depending on the server.
In kunark enchanter get 2 4slots dispells and late game if crimson pots are in you just have to farm a sheild of the immaculate to cure them.
oh yeah and chaotic feedback in an enchanters best nuke.
Last edited by Maelzai; 10-09-2011 at 12:17 AM..
Old 10-09-2011, 12:13 AM
Planar Protector

Wormcheck confirmed can't hang with me so he quit beta.
Closed Thread