Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 11:48 AM
Sarnak

Default Outlaw Powerleveling

Surely this has come up before; if anyone can find an older thread, please bump it so I can comment there.

It seems like a double standard to outlaw boxing but permit powerleveling. (especially since I suspect most powerleveling is actually from boxers)
Old 08-30-2012, 11:50 AM
VIP / Contributor

if u suspect boxxing, make a petition, and include the names of the two players.
Old 08-30-2012, 12:21 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arclanz [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Surely this has come up before; if anyone can find an older thread, please bump it so I can comment there.

It seems like a double standard to outlaw boxing but permit powerleveling. (especially since I suspect most powerleveling is actually from boxers)
I have often wondered the same thing. The mentality of banning boxing was that it takes away from the community theme of EQ and takes up spots in groups where other players could occupy.

But IMO, PLing is more detrimental to server community than anything else. Once person, or two I guess, can rob entire group(s) of pulls and obviously since the person being PL'd has no desire to group with similar levels, takes away from the community theme....

Frankly, I have no problem with PLing or Solo players, but I am amazed by the mentality of this server when it comes to being so punishing to boxers, but turns a blind eye to other things that are just as if not more detrimental to the sever.....

(I truly believe if you banned PLing, most Boxers would go away as well. Why else Box? )
Old 08-30-2012, 12:35 PM
Planar Protector

95% of the time PLing means either one of two things:

1) the two people are friends, or
2) the two people have both played the game a lot already.

God forbid friends should play together, and god forbid that high-level people who have nothing else to do should accept money from someone else who has a high-level character and wants to level a new character quickly, am I right?

Edit - of course there is the third possibility, the other 5% of the time, that the PLer is just helping someone out out of the goodness of his heart. That is the most vile form of PL, of course.
Old 08-30-2012, 12:38 PM
Kobold

Couple points to make. Powerleveling does not mean someone is 2 boxing. You make friends on this server, or even have friends that join you. It's nothing out of the ordinary for someone to get a wild hair and fire up a character and ask for help from friends with it.

Second point is, people look at powerleveling as a reason for people not to group. When in all actuality the person being powerleveled probably wouldn't have started that character and leveled them without it. They would have just stuck with their mains. Half the reason people roll alts is because they can afford or have resources for powerleveling. So it's not like outlawing it is going to get a bunch of people wanting to group all of a sudden.

Powerleveling is something that is a luxury. Much like teleports, or sow. It's not something you have to have. But you pay extra or go the extra mile for it. If someone was ruining your camp because of PL that is not good. There is still ethics involved with or without powerleveling. But that doesn't make all powerlevelers evil either.
Old 08-30-2012, 12:43 PM
Sarnak

This is silly. The 2 arent even comparable. A very small % gets PLd, theres no way to monitor PLing either.
Agoraphobia - Rogue
Refund - Enchanter
Stryche - Shadow Knight (Current toon)

<Azure Guard>
Old 08-30-2012, 12:56 PM
Sarnak

I guess they should ban 60's who solo camps too?

Because some group of 50-52's can't get in there now.....

This is silly.
Old 08-30-2012, 01:07 PM
Planar Protector

How would you enforce a ban on powerleveling? Unliking 2 boxing (which really should be legal), there is no distinct line between doing it and not. When I'm running somewhere and buff some noobs along the way, that could be construed as powerleveling. If you want it to be enforcable, you'd have to ban all help to a person or group of people from someone outside of that group. Talk about killing the spirit of cooperation in the game.
Last edited by Orruar; 08-30-2012 at 01:38 PM..
Old 08-30-2012, 01:09 PM
Kobold

Throwing my 2 cents in also:
You can purchase someone's time to power level your character, but you can't do it yourself? Does not compute.
I can see not wanting players to have pocket cleric/druid/mage/whatevers, but that appears to be happening anyways. (account trading)
If the goal is to encourage grouping why not bump up the group xp bonus and also remove the hybrid xp penalties. (or something else)
Old 08-30-2012, 01:50 PM
Planar Protector

Powerleveling is fine. A lot of people who have L60 chars want to experiment with other classes and not grind up to 50+ solo again.

What is annoying is people who powerlevel in XP zones, i.e. Kurns, Unrest, Crushbone, Mistmoore. I see so many druids and monks who just have to clear in Mistmoore. Go to Kaesora where no one else is around. Go to Sol A where there are seldom groups. Go to Runnyeye.
Closed Thread