Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 12:12 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by runlvlzero [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yet I still ain't 100% hedging my bets on Darwin being correct in the "origin of the human species". While I really respect his theory of evolution
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 11-20-2013, 12:13 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgellan [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Speed of light right? Try to be concise.

Regards,
Mg
Maybe he thinks we're already using quantum entanglement to instantly transmit information.
Old 11-20-2013, 12:21 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by runlvlzero [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yet I still ain't 100% hedging my bets on Darwin being correct in the "origin of the human species".
That would be a good bet since he never really said that.
Old 11-20-2013, 12:45 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alorae [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
That would be a good bet since he never really said that.
Ahah, yes you are correct Sir!

I did a quick google search and indeed, Darwin himself appears to have been reluctant on this topic.

I see this article is very insightful.
A Primate of Modern Aspect

Draw your own conclusions. I kept hearing Darwin's stuff being thrown around by people claiming scientific literacy and it always confused me.
Old 11-20-2013, 12:46 AM
Banned

P.S. I ain't claiming to be scientifically literate [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 11-20-2013, 12:50 AM
Banned

Also it is clear what Darwin seems to have believed about human origins after reading the article.

I remain undecided. I would argue for a more evolutionary route. But I dunno. Our history is so incomplete it's hard to say for sure.
Old 11-20-2013, 12:51 AM
Banned

And that doesn't rule out evolution as a natural process even if humans were some how influenced indirectly through some other means... be it cataclysm, divine, aliens, panspermia..
Old 11-20-2013, 01:15 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Ahah, yes you are correct Sir!

I did a quick google search and indeed, Darwin himself appears to have been reluctant on this topic.

I see this article is very insightful.
A Primate of Modern Aspect

Draw your own conclusions. I kept hearing Darwin's stuff being thrown around by people claiming scientific literacy and it always confused me.
I think people read the title "On the Origin of Species" and assume that Darwin was presenting theories on how life, and specifically human life, came to be on this planet. In general it was a theory about how groups of organisms become completely separate from others and form a new species.
Old 11-20-2013, 01:23 PM
Sarnak

Runlvlzero,

Darwin published On the Origin of Species in 1859, but Watson and Crick didn't publish the structure of DNA in 1962. Darwin had no clue about the molecular mechanisms of mutation. Modern evolutionary theory is quite different than Darwin's first theories. The important lesson from On the Origins of Species was about natural selection, which is still recognized as a strong force of evolution (the others, typically weaker, being: neutral drift, gene flow, and mutation).

Scientists do not dogmatically cling to the words of a 150ish year old book.
Old 11-20-2013, 01:24 PM
Sarnak

Please read the last part of the first sentence as "didn't publish the structure of DNA until 1962." wish i could edit
Closed Thread