Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

View Poll Results: Is variance still needed?
Yes, it promotes "competition" 75 29.18%
No, its an unneccesary non-classic time sink 182 70.82%
Voters: 257. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 01:03 PM
Sarnak

will this reset vendors too?
Old 10-18-2012, 04:51 PM
Sarnak

Rog, FWIW, I like the idea of entire world repop. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] More content for everyone is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirgon [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Everyone doesn't get a shot, this isn't WoW.
Funny, on my server I recall everyone did most certainly get a shot if they put in the time to get the levels and groups. I remember 12 hour raids with numerous guilds in Fear, Hate, etc. Good times.

But here I suppose non-classic bug-fixes make raiding trivial; and the broken powerleveling code permits anyone to get a PL to max level in days.

I don't like the "we were here first so cry me a river" attitude. Just because your toons leveled up in 2010 doesn't mean you should lock out other players from content. Racing for content was never part of my EQ experience; and the spawn coveting that goes on in the upper levels keeps this server at a fairly small pop. I remember when I played in 2010, many posts here about poop-socking. Not any more. Why? Everyone left.

EQ enoyed early success because it is a PVE game. If, instead, the player must compete against another player to get the content...well that sure sounds like PvP. Fact is, a very small percentage (1 in 1000) of EQ players likes to 'race for content.' So if that is the rule of this sever, then you can expect the pop to reflect that.
Last edited by Arclanz; 10-18-2012 at 04:56 PM..
Old 10-19-2012, 01:30 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arclanz [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Rog, FWIW, I like the idea of entire world repop. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] More content for everyone is good.

Funny, on my server I recall everyone did most certainly get a shot if they put in the time to get the levels and groups. I remember 12 hour raids with numerous guilds in Fear, Hate, etc. Good times.

But here I suppose non-classic bug-fixes make raiding trivial; and the broken powerleveling code permits anyone to get a PL to max level in days.

I don't like the "we were here first so cry me a river" attitude. Just because your toons leveled up in 2010 doesn't mean you should lock out other players from content. Racing for content was never part of my EQ experience; and the spawn coveting that goes on in the upper levels keeps this server at a fairly small pop. I remember when I played in 2010, many posts here about poop-socking. Not any more. Why? Everyone left.

EQ enoyed early success because it is a PVE game. If, instead, the player must compete against another player to get the content...well that sure sounds like PvP. Fact is, a very small percentage (1 in 1000) of EQ players likes to 'race for content.' So if that is the rule of this sever, then you can expect the pop to reflect that.
Stop talking about the pop trends like you know what caused them, because clearly you don't. You can make your free pixels argument without lying or twisting facts
Old 10-19-2012, 02:32 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogean [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Ideas we are talking about are giving enough of a warning, anywhere from 30 seconds to 5 minutes. We are also discussing the automatic teleport to the zone's safe coordinates or zone in location.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilbog [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Personally, I do not think this should happen.

-Respawning of npcs - classic? check.
-Catching up on missing spawns due to lack of patches - classic? check.
-Teleporting people or moving them against their will - do not like.

I would rather disconnect everyone and have them able to rejoin than move them.
Bring server down, put everyone camped in dungeons at the safespot buffless, including people who camped ahead of time.

While I generally agree with Nilbog on everything classic related, the raiding scene here is very much non classic. Back in the days, nobody was paying for 3-4 accounts in order to have a 60 alt camped off at every raid spawn + a 52s at vox and naggy.

If the downtime is announced far enough ahead of time, like it was in classic, it should not hinder non-raiders any more than it did back then. If its really needed, log where people were before the move in case of a camp dispute.
Old 10-19-2012, 07:44 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyhappy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Back in the days, nobody was paying for 3-4 accounts in order to have a 60 alt camped off at every raid spawn + a 52s at vox and naggy.
This is one of the top issues for P99's raid scene, but I don't know how to begin to address it. Characters don't DIE on this server, they just get new owners. On Live, when you quit, your character, all the work put in to him or her, was gone. The server needed fresh blood and new items because old characters and old items would be removed from the system when a person stopped paying $10/mo. The game world never benefited from it again. Here, if you quit, someone buys your character and that character can now be used to track, camp out at another raid spawn, etc. Its so damned easy to acquire new characters: Rare Trak loot and epic items go for twice the amount of most L60 stripped characters, PP-wise.
Old 10-19-2012, 10:06 AM
Planar Protector

Not to mention 1) quitting didn't mean someone wasn't going to give away all their gear and money to their friends, 2) people who sell their accounts for pp when they "quit" either aren't really quitting or they're going to RMT which might get the accounts involved banned, 3) people could quickly use PL teams to VERY easily/quickly get vox/naggy/tracking alts.
Old 10-19-2012, 11:26 AM
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I also do not like the idea of raid guilds spreading their camped alts around in order to quickly log in and out to maximize raid targets.. but I'm not seeing any good solutions to that problem.

And you do have a point in saying that people who quit on live generally wouldn't be seen again, their subscription would run out, nobody is going to bother paying $14/month just to keep them standing by on a raid spawn so they can quickly be logged in to kill something.

Project 1999 Setup Guide
Old 10-19-2012, 11:31 AM
Planar Protector

$14 a month not classic
Old 10-19-2012, 11:34 AM
Planar Protector

Good news!

Everyone click the ads...

Amax MNK / Amalgamax ROG / maximum
Begging (227)

EQ Map Archive (1,000+ images)
P99 WikiEQ Patch Chronology
Last edited by maximum; 10-22-2012 at 11:03 AM..
Old 10-19-2012, 12:02 PM
Planar Protector

Maybe we should start charging $14/month per account for this server. Give all the money to charity to make sure it stays legal.
Closed Thread