Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 04-24-2018, 03:04 PM
Planar Protector

Epic mage pet will out dps pretty much everyone on things that are annoying to hit, like dracoliche
Old 04-24-2018, 03:17 PM
Fire Giant

Because for the active players Enchanters can charm a mob that does more DPS than the mage pet and necro pet combined and has more HP than two or three extremely twinked tanks, not to mention slow/CC and a long list of other shit mages can't do.

For the player that wants to play a caster and AFK a lot, Necro's have them covered.

But mages can summon those sweet Ultravision Ammo slot items, they got that going for them. I love those things.
Old 04-24-2018, 03:20 PM
Fire Giant

Send a message via ICQ to applesauce25r624 Send a message via AIM to applesauce25r624

If you enjoy it, play it.
There's no 40-man roster limits on this game.
Epic mage sounds like one of the most fun things you can use to steamroll mid level mobs
Old 04-24-2018, 03:39 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legidias [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Epic mage pet will out dps pretty much everyone on things that are annoying to hit, like dracoliche
yea ST dragons were also great for epic mage pets

i think they were doing over double the DPS of our primal melees against ventani on red
Old 04-24-2018, 03:50 PM
Banned

Because you don't want your raid leaders asking you to pet track for hours upon hours at a time.
Old 04-24-2018, 03:51 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triiz [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

But mages can summon those sweet Ultravision Ammo slot items, they got that going for them. I love those things.
+10000
Fauvana 60 Erudite Necromancer
Erjav 60 Human Bard
Enjamini 60 Human Magician
Deepwalter 60 Erudite Paladin
Seliel 60 Human Rogue
Enjoii 54 Dark Elf Warrior
Old 04-24-2018, 03:51 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troxx [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I’ve been curious since my necro first hit level 53. New rogue pet.

I’ll start with a disclaimer: I parse everything. I like to know how I’m doing, what others are capable of, how individuals stack up compared to others of their class, and what I’m capable of when playing a similar class. I parse in real time with active display.

On getting my 53 rogue pet I was taken aback at the damage output. By itself it was doing more damage than most all other 50s melees I was grouped with. On parsing my epic monk and later my warrior 1-60 ... same deal. The pet alone was pulling more weight than all rangers/warriors/Druids/wizards ... all non-twinked monks and even most rogues. If you considered the dmg potential the necro casting added it was no contest.

Well I recently picked up my Mage. I’ve gone from 26-43 so far and it is no different. Properly summoned, buffed and hasted it simply does more damage then most melee for its level. I’ve parsed other mage’s 57 earth per at 60-65 sustained dps. 60 water pet higher... and epic pet well north of 80 sustained dps. This is pet alone mind you ... it doesn’t factor in the sustained dps or burst potential of the mage itself.

Mage (and to a lesser extent necro) seem to be seriously underrated. Why don’t we see more mages? Is it because their raid role and value are for boring tasks like twitching and rods? Is it because pets are unreliable on raids? For group content they just seem godly compared to alternative dps options.

I’m enjoying the mage so far and I haven’t even broken into the upper tiers of pets where the power curve takes off.
Netflix and sending pet in at 40%.
Old 04-24-2018, 03:56 PM
Banned

For me before and a little bit after making a mage was Spell Research. Mage pet spells were way more expensive than necro. And the way mage research was handled like needing a previous tier pet scroll for the next tier pet scroll.

Also new spells being trivial way beyond your level restricted max skill was crap.

Then I said fuck it, ported on my druid for like an hour and spent hours in EC looking for said spells.
Old 04-24-2018, 03:58 PM
Planar Protector

Honestly though, I do agree mages are very undervalued. I think mainly its another case of people not utilizing their class to it max potential (Which is a pet peeve of mine).

A mage can be am awesome support class. Expendable tanks , burst dps to kill off adds, rods if used intelligently, passive Damage shield dps , and being able to summon my warrior some arrows instantly makes the group so much more fun since I never remember to buy arrows, and mages also come equip with a rogue pet (sustained dps from a caster whattttt?!).

You can't argue that in these velious days where dragons love aoe dmg that mage pets all that great for the raid scene but just be honest with yourself whether you play to raid or play to do fun group content.

Also, despite whatever game I play there's 2 things I absolutely love and that's having a big bad pet follow me around and being able to make monsters fight each other.
This thread makes me want to start leveling my mage again.
Fauvana 60 Erudite Necromancer
Erjav 60 Human Bard
Enjamini 60 Human Magician
Deepwalter 60 Erudite Paladin
Seliel 60 Human Rogue
Enjoii 54 Dark Elf Warrior
Old 04-24-2018, 04:03 PM
Fire Giant

I can think of a lot of reasons but they apply to different aspects of the game, so each player would select these reasons from a list as to why they didn't pick the class

Boring Raid role: Make mod rods - CoTH ppl, watch netflix

Lack of scaling / endgame gearing: Like most Int casters you get a bigger mana pool, maybe some FT items if your a lucky one, but most players should know that velious raiding gear is a lot better for melee than it is for casters... not saying a well geared mage is nothing... but I think everyone can agree a super well geared (velious raid geared) Monk or rogue is going to run circles around a mage... this is just due to how silly good raid weapons and armor get as well as the level difference and crazy high resists the raid geared melee will have.

Difficult to attain Epic: Either horrendously expensive (800k+ ? 1million?) for earth staff MQ, not saying its unattainable, but for some players that don't put a serious commitment into farming plane of hate or some serious serious plat to get a MQ it sorta is unattainable for some players *a lot of players just have no desire to farm plat for a entire year+ assuming they make 2-3k plat a day and play every day* to get part of their epic, despite being a super neck-beard server ppl still have lives. Granted just because you cant or are unwilling to get epic wont rule the class out for every player, I'm sure there are plenty of people on p99 playing mage that have no plans getting their epic... however it is still a bit of a sour pill to swallow...

Good Solo but nowhere near the best: Can mages solo? Absolutely... but even at their best (epic + gear) they are still well well behind other classes > Enchanter / Shaman / Necromancer / Druid.

Grouping: Mages essentially fill a melee role in groups, with the added benefit or some spike damage (from their nukes) and a damage shield on tank (which value is highly negated if the enemies get slowed). Their scaling never really comes much into question in this content.

Not fully "Twinkable": Like other casters you cant really twink them like you can melee... Yea you can get them a super high mana pool, but that's about it. Melee can use weapons and armor at low levels that are well above and beyond their level.
Foxlich [60 Necromancer] Foxplosion [60 Wizard]
Foxstab [60 Rogue] /Foxcharming [60 Enchanter] / Foxfrenzy [60 Warrior]
Closed Thread